Heroes of the Storm

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Herbo, Nov 17, 2013.

1. hvalac

hvalac Member

I just booted this up after seeing the thread go live again.... I'm so bored of playing with bots trying to level 14 heroes up to 5 just to play ranked... it really is such a chore.

2. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Should do QM instead. Takes a bit longer but you get more XP in the end unless you stall your AI games to ensure they're on parity level wise to maximise XP.

EDIT: Unless you have a have a hammer on your team in AI in which case the game is over in 5 minutes because they can't help but bulldoze.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  3. Baringa

Baringa Member

THE WORST.

We've done ~experiments~ on how to up the XP you get from AI games. Adept difficulty (easiest difficulty to find a match), and making sure you don't get too far ahead of the AI lvl-wise, and then stall as long as possible. Rather than letting a Hammer siege their way to the core in 5 seconds flat. Only works if your whole team knows whats up so they can all stall effectively.

Edit: Or just do QM I guess

4. hvalac

hvalac Member

I've tried a few qm's and i've never got it going... is the estimated wait time even legit? because i've been waiting 5+ mins and still nothing appears to be found.

I did unfortunately manage a 48min AI game last night.... sigh. if only the AI understood pings.

5. Baringa

Baringa Member

I have had that exact experience with AI teammates and now I don't even bother unless I have at least one or two friends to balance out the AI (which is supposed to be smarter, and sometimes it is... but most times it isnt).

Time of day really affects match finding. We're a few hours ahead of the east coast of Aus, and it looks like you're a few behind (you're in WA?), so we're probably dealing with the same issue. I find its poor in the early part of the day and then gets better in the afternoon when people on the east coast are finishing their work days, etc. Also if you've picked a hero on rotation that can sometimes affect it. It's probably a lot like smashing the "crosswalk" button at traffic lights, but we tend to cancel the search and restart every few minutes.

6. hvalac

hvalac Member

I'm just playing a mix of rotation and non rotation based heroes atm, anything that needs leveling i'm playing. Yeh i'm in WA so the time diff is quite high.

7. kipjib

kipjib Member

You could select 'AI Teammates' to just verse AI.

Add me if you want: kipjib#1171

8. AvatarEK

Stalling isn't effective. The longer your game goes, the more XP you'll get, but the more time you'll have burned. In a long game you might get twice as much XP, but you could get 2 games in during that time anyway.

9. kipjib

kipjib Member

Do you know when the next tournament will be Avatar?

10. AvatarEK

Everyone's still waiting to hear some news, almost certainly nothing until next year.

Looking into some community changes to make competitive play in ANZ more accessible at the moment.

11. kipjib

kipjib Member

Have you been speaking with Ellison for Blizzard support?

12. AvatarEK

No, don't know who that is

13. kipjib

kipjib Member

He's the Blizzard ANZ Events Coordinator.

14. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Well I'm content with my steps towards less mediocrity. Made it from silver 5 to gold 5 this season. Absolutely tanked my placements so I'm really please with an entire division climb.

Also changed from playing on Australia to US West so I can find HL games. Stopped noticing the 170ms latency and much better consistency with games. Games have everybody with ranks of each other; silver 1 will havegold 5 and silver 4 in ranked games with no huge variance.

15. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Noice. I started as silver 5, am currently halfway up the gold 1 climb, but its becoming harder to carry.

I also play exclusively on ANZ region for HL, no need to change servers. Should only need to change if you want to TL, cus thats dead in the ANZ unfortunately.

I've noticed quite a few GM's popping up in my games and have noticed as such there is no-where near the ability for a high skilled player to hard carry as when compared to LoL etc... Still very much team orientated.

16. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I found that ANZ HL is just too much of the same people wise with wide variance. As a silver you shouldn't be placed with a Master but it's happened to me.

US West means that things are more consistent and frequent due to the larger player pool. You get over the lag pretty quickly or you just play Chromie as you need to guess regardless.

17. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

I had a few games over the weekend as I was thinking about playing a MOBA that's not Dota.
    I noticed (how very bad I am) but it was either you won easily or lost easily. There didn't seem like a game where it could go either way or any comeback was a chance.
    Is this pretty much the same for everyone or was it just me?
    I guess the big thing is. Is it possibly for comebacks at all?

18. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Comebacks are definitely a thing. Depending on the team comp, some characters may power spike later in the game (Diablo) meaning you'll have a harder time in the beginning but have a significant presence later due to talents. Team fights late game can cost you the game when if you/they wipe.

For me I've just learned to never give up and try to play your best because you can turn it around. People become cocky and complacent and you can take advantage of it. I've lost sure wins because the other team got their shit together and it's then tilted the entire team because they were getting frustrated at why we just can't finish it.

19. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I saved an epic replay, enemy team was literally bashing on our core while we were all dead, next thing I know the camera pans over to their core... Our minions had destroyed it while they were focusing ours. Best comeback I ever experienced.

20. Baringa

Baringa Member

BlizzCon announcements..

Nexus-specific hero Orphea - https://heroesofthestorm.com/en-us/heroes/orphea/
    JANITOR LEORIC *heavy breathing*

Ranked changes (to be rolled out over 2019) including:
    • Combination of HL and TL into a single ranked queue (option to queue solo v solo teams)
    • Placement matches reduced to 3
    • Visible MMR to replace rank points
    • Loss forgiveness for when you have leavers/bots on your team
    • Removing promotion/demotion games
    • Seasonal quest lines to earn ranked rewards
    Gameplay changes:
    • XP rework
    • Role system rework (Tank, Bruiser, Healer, Support, Melee Assassin, Ranged Assassin) https://imgur.com/a/BECgvEn
    • QM matchmaking changes (force healer, tank, ranged assassin comps)
    • Removal of ability to armour stack
    More deets:
    https://old.reddit.com/r/heroesofth...ats_next_panel_summary_for_those_without_the/
    https://heroesofthestorm.com/en-us/events/blizzcon-2018/
    https://twitter.com/BlizzHeroes/status/1058501679287431168
    Hotslogs also live-tweeted the screencaps from the panels - https://twitter.com/hotslogs