Heston Blumenthal's The Fat Duck moving to Melbourne [2015]

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by smork, Mar 31, 2014.

1. smork

smork I'm Batman

There have been talks for a while about Heston opening up a resteraunt at Crown in Melbourne for quite some time but then suddenly today there's an announcement making everything official along with a bombshell.

Heston Blumenthal is bringing The Fat Duck's (thankfully autocorrect fixed a slight mistype there) staff for 6 months to get the resteraunt up and running closing The Fat Duck down.

I am over the moon about this because it's been on my bucket list to go to The Fat Duck but it's made incredibly expensive (not just because it's an expensive resteraunt) but because it's geographically undesirable.

Source

Awaiting more info on this, if anyone has an idea where we can book up it would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

holy crap.. this is huge

seeing as though its months and months waiting list, would be interesting to see how to get a table

3. OP
    OP
    smork

smork I'm Batman

4. Wink

Wink Member

These 'child' restaurants never are as good as the original right?

5. doug81

doug81 Member

I can't wait for this - I'll be going for sure!

6. Mazjooz

Mazjooz Member

It is the original restaurant. They are closing up the british store and bringing the staff to Melbourne from what I read into that article.

7. lombot

lombot Member

Well it is all the same staff according to the press release, so hopefully the results will be good.

8. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i think they should do a lottery system...

9. redav

redav Member

Premptive April fools joke? Although Melb friend says it's legit (heard Heston say it on the radio)

10. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

good call but dont think so.

its only gonna be called fat duck for 6 months. after that it be called something else and all the workers will move back to england. so if anything, get in if you willing to pay within the first 6 months.

11. OP
    OP
    smork

smork I'm Batman

It would be to their detriment (Blumenthal's and Crowns) Packer doesn't seem like the joking type when it comes to business. This has been in the works for a long time, announcing it now builds anticipation not to mention if it is a joke it would make me sad.

12. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Heston must be getting paid a motza by Packer. Otherwise, I wouldn't move it either.

13. OP
    OP
    smork

smork I'm Batman

Going to be hard to get a reservation according to this article, even at $350 for the 10 course tasting meal. source

Bookings will open in September this year for lunch and dinner with the resteraunt only able to host 45 people at a time. source.

14. Zieprus

Zieprus Member

It is real its been known for about 4 months, the area has been in construction for quite some time. After the 6 months it will still be Heston but called something else.
    It a good location for a restaurant.

15. CHB

CHB Member

I went to "Dinner" in London and I was really really disappointed. Was very underwhelming. Had a pork dish and when I ordered was asked if I was okay with it since it will be pink. When it arrived, basically looked like it was cooked throughout and asked the waitor if it was overcooked and was told that's how it's meant to be.. WTF.

Might try the Fat Duck if it's within reasonable price, but at least I won't be expecting too much lol

16. PaPaGeorGeo

PaPaGeorGeo Member

So excited when I heard the news. When the reservations open up ill post in here.

17. Lukenet

Lukenet Member

I am keen for a booking as well. I don't think I will get one, but would like to go.

18. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

I would like to grab a booking but im sure the chances will be slim

19. Oblique

Oblique Member

I too would like a booking. I'd fly over there from Perth with the missus and make a holiday out of it :)

Would get mega brownie points from the GF too.

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

Saw him on tv talking about this. The restaurant in england needs a new kitchen, so they are doing this while the new kitchen gets installed. Mutually beneficial, really. All the staff keep working while the place is shut for the refurbishment, they get a trip to australia, packer gets the restaurant. win-win.