1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

HFC on Telstra - networking question

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by die_piggy, May 29, 2020.

1. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

So, I have bneen on HFC with Telstra NBN for the last 2 years or so. My network setup is
    NBN "NTD" ---- Telstra Smart Modem ---- Netgear R700 (DHCP is ON)

So, from what I understand, I shouldnt actually need the Telsta Modem in this loop, however if I disconnect it from the chain I get no internet. Would I be right in assuming that this is just handling the connection to telstra, and not specifically the HFC network?

I am planning on churning to Aussie BB again on HFC. Will I need a new box in the middle, or will the NTD connect dirrectly to my netgear router?

2. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Your Telstra modem holds your u/p for auth to the Telstra network, and your Netgear doesn't - at least, that's what I think.

The NBN NDT provides a layer two connection between your Telstra modem and the NBN hardware - at least, that's what I think.

caspian can provide crystal clarity here :)

3. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

so, would I likely need another box in its place?

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

this is the set up for ABB

5. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Yes, you'd need something to provide your ABB username/password over the NBN to ABB. Given that it's ABB, you may be able to use your Netgear thing, if it can do that kind of action (I have NFI what the capabilities of your Netgear device are), or some other modem-type device that can auth to the ABB infrastructure. Otherwise I'm sure that ABB will send you a modem that they support.

6. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Thanks Pugs, I see that the connection seems to be automatic without a Username or Password. daehenoc, I found more info from Aussie BB that I just use a ewan connection to connect to the NTD.

Thanks for the help! :D

Pugs likes this.
  7. caspian

caspian Member

Telstra use DHCP authentication, no username or password required. I really don't know why anyone bothers with PPP any more.

8. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

^^ This ^^

You don’t need to authenticate anymore. Not with any ISP.

I’m not sure what the NETGEARS default config is but it might just need a factory reset before ditching the Telstra Dumb Modem. Also rebooting the NTD doesn’t hurt, they can sometime hold the MAC of the router for a bit and refuse to issue the IP to the new one after the swap.

Either way NTD does all the connecting. NETGEAR really would just be doing some NAT to a private /24 network in your home.

9. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

This, I have my own box going straight to the NBN cable NTU. Telstra HFC and straight DHCP no auth configured

10. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Awesome thanks guys. Just waiting for Aussie Bb to activate my 1000/50mbit connection now!

11. Renza

Renza Member

TPG group of companies still require PPPoE

12. caspian

caspian Member

13. ssnke

ssnke Member

I applied the upgrade through my ABB account and it kicked over within 5 minutes. Very happy!

In relation to the Telstra smart modem.
    If you have NBN over HFC and don't need a phone line.. you can remove the telstra box anytime and connect your own router to the NBN.co modem
    If you need the phone line on telstra and you have the Smartmodem2 with SIM.. As the phone is a VOIP line I accidentally discovered that this modem can live independently as it would run of the SIM connection given that its always on.

14. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Telstra get upset if you do that for any length of time as it violates their ToS apparently. I started getting some SMS's from them asking me to reconnect the modem to the NTU.

15. ssnke

ssnke Member

Oh Good to know, thanks for the heads up.
    If that happens I'll help them move it back, I think its been 3 months
    The SM2 is only used for the phone and a router is on the MTU.

16. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

In my experience they only care during provisioning or if you submit a ticket. I've been using my own for a year now and they've never said a peep (but during provisioning they in insisted)

17. Rass

Rass Member

So, I cracked the shits yesterday after regular drop outs (I would lose the public IPv4 address from the Telstra Gen2 gateway). I picked up a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro and a HD AP (yes, overkill. Very overkill).
    No problems. Plugged it in, it identified that it was on a Telstra network, did some speed tests and everything works perfectly.

die_piggy likes this.
  18. ssnke

ssnke Member

Technically isn't it the NBN network?
    The GEN2 units are okay in most cases, if the NBN box is offline your out of luck.

Its what Telstra advised in the past when I was trying to help a few telstra customers, hence the push for 4G backup.
    The good thing about Telstra is that with a bit of persistence, their accounts team will compensate.

I experienced more drop outs on NBN than the original HFC cable network.

Been on Aussie BB for a few months and the there are still outages, at least ABB spam with schedule / status updates. No compensation.

19. Rass

Rass Member

The problem was the Gen2 modem. I have IPv6 connectivity, but IPv4 stack would lose it's shit. The actual HFC is rock solid, and pretty much has been since I moved into the place and had it set up. It's just this new gateway which is terrible.

20. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Rubbish.
    It just confuses them if you need to call them up for tech support. Their tier-1 support script has no workflow for someone who uses their own router.

In the almost 12 months I was with Telstra on a NBN plan I had my pfSense box running as the router with no reminders to reconnect the SmartModem box from Telstra.