HFC vs Wireless NBN ?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Professor Chaos, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Member

I did a search and couldn't find what I need.

I will be shifting soon (Qld 4074) and as such I will be forced to do a new internet plan.
    Currently on hfc 12/1 as it is more than I need.
    New place has hfc, but the prices have gone nuts.
    I don't need 50 or 100 speeds, even 25 is way above my needs.
    Nor do I want to pay $80+ for the luxury of higher speed and a 'phone' service I don't want or need.

I notice a few places offering wireless plans that are more in line with my requirements not to mention my very limited income.

So. Whats the deal with these wireless setups ?
    Good/bad/indifferent ?
    Or should I sell an organ and use the hfc ?

Seriously I was perfectly happy with adsl at 3.5Mb. Did what I needed at a price I could afford.

Ta.

2. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

3. koss

koss Member

12/1Mbps costs NBNco almost the same to provide as 25/5Mbps. it's just a programming change with little effect on the backhaul or virtual circuits. Nobody wanted it, most people go for 25/5Mbps.

4. OP
    OP
    Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Member

Thanks JS, very interesting article.
    I will refrain from stating what it all looks like to my untrained eye.
    I'm sure people here are sick of the constant whining about such topics.

OK. So, it looks like the way foward (for me) will probably be one of these wireless plans.
    Seems to make more sense than to support, um, a rather monopolistic cash grab.
    OK yes I could be completely out of line here, but it's what it smells like to me.
    Cough 2020 nbn sale cough.

So the question now turns to, wireless services.
    Anyone care to fill me in on this side of things, or can point me to some places for reading.
    And if people have suggestions for such providers, I'm all ears :)

5. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

6. OP
    OP
    Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Member

$65. I appreciate the link, but no.
    At that price I may as well look at 'normal' hfc.

This seems a possible winner though.
    "UP TO" 12/1 - 250g - $40.
    https://www.exetel.com.au/broadband/home-wireless

Thats basically what I have now, but $10 cheaper. Not to mention their saying they have to up it to $55 soon.
    But they won't carry the connection to the new place so I'll need to do a new connection anyway.

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Do you have a smart phone? Can you tether to that when you want to check emails or whatever else you do at home?

Some carriers also let you pay a nominal fee ($5 a month) for an extra data sim to go with your phone plan which could be thrown into a 4g stick or modem

JSmithDTV likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Member

I did think off tethering.
    But my phone plan is a long ago defunct crazy johns at $15/m which to voda's credit is still being honoured at that. I think it's only 50meg if that.
    So I'm guessing if I did tether I'd need a new plan at whatever price.

But it is another avenue for me to look into. Ta.

9. caspian

caspian Member

it consumes half the downstream bandwidth of a 25/5 plan. following the same logic, a 25/5 doesn't cost any more than a 50/20, or a 50/20 compared to a 100/40. the reality is that all bandwidth costs money, when you're stacking 80,000+ services onto a set of network links you care about the economics.

I think 12/1 really was intended as the barebones dialup replacement for people who only looked at cat pictures on a Saturday morning, or needed it to carry a voice connection only. the industry quickly figured out they could sell a 25/5 connection with comparable data allowance to a legacy ADSL2+ connection for about the same price, so 25/5 instantly became the new black until the bundled pricing discounts came along and made 50/20 the new darling. no salesman ever has downsold someone to less than what they think they can get them to pay for, you know?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Nobby6 likes this.
  10. congoh

congoh Member

Another option is to buy yourself a prepaid 4G modem (and unlock it if it's locked to a carrier) then buy multiple starter packs when they're on sale like here (usually $10 for $30 starter pack with 3Gb data, sometime more data during special promotions)
    https://www.lasoo.com.au/offer/mobile-phone-accessories/optus-30-starter-kit/5k1qz3dkv.html

Downside is you have to activate different one every month and keep your eye on expiry date of sim packs. If your data requirements are minimal then it's a cheap and fast but fiddly option.

11. Tim_Servo

Tim_Servo New Member

You can get a no-contract plan from Amaysim for $10/month which gives you 1GB of data. They have a special on right now for 30GB data for $10/month (I pay $30/month for this). ALDI and Woolworths also have decent no contract phone plans that in your case could double as home internet.

12. MELso76

MELso76 Member

Note that if you don't have access to 2.3GHz spectrum in the area, it's up to 5/1...

13. OP
    OP
    Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Member

Thanks everyone for your input.

As a base line I just did a home (4069) test with my phone that claims 4g is available here.
    Via wireless on my 12/1 nbn I get 9.68Mb/s - 0.88Mb/s
    Via the 4g (voda) I get 34.1Mb/s - 10.4Mb/s

I'll go and see what my phone says about the available G's at the new place today.
    All being wireless it will obviously be at the mercies of terrain, weather, etc.
    And then there's my phone being on voda, and the possible new house 3/4g being optus.
    So it won't be a proper apple for apple test but should give some sort of idea.

14. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Do you know any of your neighbours at your new place?

I have 'heard' of people that have neighbours that are struggling 'donate' some bandwidth to them via a PtP wifi connection....

Only stories of course.

15. OP
    OP
    Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Member

Not a single one.
    Yet :)
    But I do hope to do a meet n greet once were in and settled.

Oh yes, I may have heard rumours of such things too.
    Completely forgot about them...
    Not that anyone would ever consider such a thing.

It's not so much that I'm struggling, I'm not flash with cash either.
    More I'm just not thrilled with paying the new higher prices.
    OK yes their faster plans etc. But I don't need what they offer.
    The money I save is better of in my pocket for things I do need.

Well just got back from a drive by.
    Outside new place my voda (oppo) phone says it is indeed 4g.
    On the same speed test as before, 14.5Mb/s - 2.88Mb/s

I have hit my phones data limit.
    So I don't know if that's throttled or not.

But even so, compared to my previous checks, the exetel 12/1 wireless should be able to keep me happy.
    250gig at 12/1 for $40.
    Pretty much what I have now, except $15/m cheaper.
    Yay.

Looks like moving day is mid october. Once the dust has settled I'll update this thread for others future reference.
    My plans for world domination are coming to fruition . . . . .

24-9-19 Edit.
    Ordered the exetel (optus) wireless broadband on fri arvo 20th.
    12 / 1 / 250gig $39.99 (not including the inevitable CC fee)
    Modem and sim arrived today tue 24th.
    I've reset the ssid and passphrase etc.
    First up speed test 13Mb/s - 1.1Mb/s Ping 19ms
    You can tell by watching the speed test it Wants to go faster but it's limited to the 12/1.
    Funny thing is, even at this peak hour (6.20pm) it's faster (just) than the fixed nbn which I measured at 9.68Mb/s - 0.88Mb/s Ping 14ms

So far happy camper.
    Lets see how it holds up in the future :)

Oh yes.
    It's a netcomm NL1901ACV modem.
    O.M.G.
    Not a blue led to be seen.
    Their all a pleasing soft green that don't burn holes in your retinas.

26-9-19 Edit.
    The modem came with a R6B011 firmware.
    This had issues with drop outs on the mobile network.
    Exetel sent me a dropbox link to their R6B017 firmware.
    The update was as painless as could have been and since then it's been rock solid.

Netcomm have a R6B025 firmware listed but I'm hesitant to try it since this is an ISP supplied modem.
    I'm not sure what customisation's may have been written in especially when the exetel firmware numbers seem not to be listed on the netcomm site at all.

Also when starting the update the modem asks for the location of the 'ISP supplied file'...

So yeah. Tread softly I guess :)

19-10-19 Final edit for this thread.
    Were in the new house (4074) and still using the same system as above (Netcomm 4G), todays speed is; 13Mb/s - 1.3Mb/s Ping 20ms.
    The speed is obviously throttled as it wants to start at ~30+Mb/s down and ~5+Mb/s up.
    I was thinking I'd need a better antenna for the 4G, but the modem lights indicate this isn't so.
    Normally 2 out of 3, and maybe 30% of the time 3 out of 3 for signal.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Slug69 likes this.