1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HiFi Speakers - repair or replace?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Maelstrom, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Background
    I have a pair of Trevor Lees Audio TLA-100 speakers - probably at least 20 years old. Gifted from a family member who was involved in a Hifi business, so I'm not sure whether they're "production" quality or not. Can't check for a model description at the moment but I'll update with it if I find it.

One of the drivers has a perished surround, it's a ScanSpeak (label says) Type 18W/8542, Code 3285. I've been quoted about $360 to replace the surrounds on both drivers (figuring if one has gone then both should get done) or I've found similar ScanSpeak drivers (says 18W/8542-00) available at $400 for the pair.

It's all driven by a similarly aged Denon radio/amp system that's old enough to have tape and phono inputs. I've considered replacing it to have something that's a bit more user friendly and if so could bundle it with new speakers if that worked out best.

The missus has a preference for replacing them with something smaller and we're not audiophiles by any means, but on the other hand I wouldn't want to go from something high end to something low end due to ignorance.

So with all that in mind, it would be great to get advice on:

1) Would I be better off repairing these speakers or spending around $400 on a new pair of bookshelf speakers? Would I lose a lot in that change?

2) If I keep and repair them then are the replacement drivers I mentioned going to be close to identical to the original ones and therefore be good enough to use as replacements?

3) Was the price I was quoted for a recone ridiculous and could a good job be done for a heap cheaper? At the moment replacing drivers for $40 more seems like better value than a $360 recone.

Speaker photos in case that helps or is interesting:

Speaker with blown driver

Click to view full size!

Inside speaker (view with driver removed - through driver hole)

Click to view full size!

Amp

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. Johnnilicte

Johnnilicte Member

3. OP
    OP
    Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Thanks for the link!

Would an alternative model (like the one you linked) or alternative brand have characteristics that are different enough to cause issues?

Also any thoughts on the other questions - eg would sound quality of some new similarly priced bookshelfs be better/worse?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  4. Johnnilicte

Johnnilicte Member

depends on taste really :)

however other drivers are just as good, example could be Vifa, Dayton, Eminence, etc.. are quite good as well

Remember even $1k speakers would use rebranded generic drivers

5. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

6. oculi

oculi Member

i don't know anything about krix but I find the use of chipboard a bit concerning and they just seem to be pretty a straightforward bass reflex design (the offset tweeter is nice but they are very wide). the problem with replacing speakers is that speakers of the same size will have different characteristics, and the cabinet should be built around the speaker characteristics, if you are doing it properly you should measure these characteristics so replacing a speaker with a different but same sized speaker may not work as it should. whether you would notice this is another matter.

if you can get replacements with similar Thiele/Small parameters cheap enough it would be worth repalcing them, especially if there is sentimental value involved.

at 18 watts i'm not sure i'd bother.

7. OP
    OP
    Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Thanks for all the replies!

Just got a chance to check the make and model - turns out they're not Krix speakers, I was thinking of a different set.

Click to view full size!

Trevor Lees Audio
    Model TLA-100
    Rec. amplifier power: 30-100 watts
    Frequency response: 35-24,000 Hz
    Sensitivity (1w/1m) 90dB
    Nominal impedance: 8 ohms

8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Not Scanspeak's best drivers.. and now expensive for what they are..

combine that with the fairly ordinary layout and construction and I'd lean towards the 'replace with something new' option.

You could probably even get a little bit for them in their current state on gumtree as they are which would add to the equation.