High CPU/memory usage (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Dozza, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Dozza

Dozza Member

Hi all,

Just using my dad's compter and notice it is running terribly slow at times. It's one of those all in one Dell Inspiron things.

Intel CPU G645T 2.5ghz
    4.00GB
    Onboard GFX
    460GB HDD

Here's a screenshot of the running processes and performance. Google Chrome seems to be using a lot of CPU usage at certain times. But not always. So I'm not sure exactly what the issue could be?

Anyone have any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

The critical issue there is Disk is at 99% - sort by that column. The system is DLing, patching or read/write to that HDD and that is why the system is crawling!

Click on the Performance tab and the select Open Resource Monitor and then review the Disk activity.

Also, to isolate Chrome, run Edge and see if the issue is still present with CPU usage?

3. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

You can also try pressing Shift + Escape within Chrome to view the Chrome Task Manager, which should show you what is actually consuming the resources.

4. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

You have 4Gb ram, win10 and 64 running chrome processes. Sites like facebook with lots of dynamic content can easily chew up 500-1000mb of ram.

Given the disk usage is not on chrome is likely on a system process that manages the swap file which is likely thrashing your disk.

5. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

I had that problem with windows 10 when running solely from a hard drive and not an ssd.

It just goes nuts on disk activity, appears to be update related. But you can't control it, making the system unusable for hours at a time. :(

Never worked out a proper fix, short of installing an ssd drive. (or windows 7)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  6. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

OP has not responded to any posts so it seems pointless to offer advice.

8. OP
    OP
    Dozza

Dozza Member

Very sorry for the late reply. I had not been over to my dad's in a while (the problem is on his).

I have no idea what's going on. It doesn't seem to be just one process causing it. The running processes goes crazy constantly switching between different processes which are using the most disk/memory.

My laptop which upgraded to Windows 10 also has the exact same problem. Windows 8 was fine. I rarely use it so I just put up with it but I might as well try fix this problem on that too.

This sounds like the same problem as me.

Thanks. I'll try this.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019