high-dee | bridal shoot

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by dche5390, Dec 22, 2010.

1. dche5390

dche5390 Member

Zak organised a bridal shoot with the lovely Heidi. And somehow, I managed to score an invite (must be my good looks or something ...).

And here is one that I like particularly after culling a hundred or so.

[​IMG]

Just one for now. Will continue adding as I edit.

Thanks Zak.

I didn't whine as much today. I think. LOL.

So sleeeeepy.

By the way, a short BTS video is available here: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1777720605819&oid=166867983330635&comments

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  2. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

Loos nice Dan the tone and the way model is relaxed. Any chance it was done with film / Exposure 3? I still havent tried it out yet. I might like it too much

3. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

Don't shoot film. Too impatient. Definitely invest in Exposure 3. It has saved me so much time and makes consistency so much easier for an entire shoot, especially for weddings and eSession, when one has a signature to uphold to a brand name.

Bromance works wonders to relax a model. They either laugh uncontrollable at you, or get waaaaay creeped out and drive away with screeching tires. Win-win.

4. kit

kit Member

Have you thought about getting more into model / fashion photography than weddings?

You seem to be good at it.

5. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

Here's another one. Progress is s-l-o-w.

[​IMG]

I enjoy weddings. I can do all the model/fashion when I don't have bookings (aka, like now). Plus, I have no idea how to get into editorial work. Don't know anyone. *sad face*

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  6. kit

kit Member

the 2nd shot is good, looks like something out of a bridal magazine.

7. kaotickelly

kaotickelly Member

Love the old mag post processed look. Care to share the process (if only briefly)?

Shots like these still doesn't justify how frequently you change gear :p

btw, can't see second photo... work proxy blocks photobucket... :(

8. Ploddy

Ploddy Member

Love your composition for the second shot. The only crit I have is the dress is blown out, so if you are doing the shot to promote the dress, you'd need to work on that a bit.

9. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

I like both the shots. But when I saw this the first thing that came into my head was "shotgun wedding" (due to the derelict 'trailer trash' house in the background :lol: ). +1 for getting into modeling/ fashion shooting. But stick with weddings too for sure!

10. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

11. Intric8

Intric8 Member

Any strobes / reflectors, or purely natural light?

12. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

[​IMG]

Single strobe (old school SB) on various power settings ranging from 1/4 to 1/32 power, with either a shoot through or reflective umbrella. Reflector was neglected all day long.

After watching OneLight, no photographer should have any excuse to be shooting ambient all the time.

I'm so over harsh shadows.

13. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

#2 and #4 rock:thumbup::thumbup:

The grain feels a bit odd to me for some reason, particularly on her face. #1 annoys me somewhat for this reason. But the rest are sweet

14. kit

kit Member

One very good reason is that you simply don't have time to arrange light setups on a real wedding.
    That or you won't get any real moments, just posed ones.

15. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

That's what you got assistants for ;) I forsee much more umbrella holding in my future haha.

Liking the new processing dude, helping a lot with consistency.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  16. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

[​IMG]

I'm undecided on the grain. Shall see how it goes. I don't see grain being added for wedding work. Don't mind it for model stuff though, more artsy fartsy.

That's not true. I mean, there are candids, then there are shots which really should have lighting. I used to call myself a natural light photographer, but that was really an excuse of not understanding how to effectively use OCF. Now, I know when and where to apply it. No more being lazy.

I refuse to work without a second shooter and assistant. It just makes the day so much easier.

17. BuD

BuD Member

Kit ive read of some top wedding photographers who have the assistant running around holding the umbrella so its not only doable its being done

18. maddcore

maddcore Member

Link me to any decent wedding photographer who has an assistant running around with an umbrella trying to catch 'moments'

srsly

19. kit

kit Member

Errrr.... I think you missed the point, but nevermind.

Main thing is that Dan has learned a new technique that he can use effectively and links in with his style.

20. JazzXP

JazzXP Member

Heidi is awesome to work with and such a wonderful girl (I worked with her back in November at Ed, Dave & Will's Mega Workshop) . I call her the model with a million faces as she has so many different looks (she says a lot of people tell her that).

She's actually a pretty good photographer herself.

Love the set here, I think #4 is my favourite of what I've seen processed so far. Top left of #5 is scary though, looks very much like an ex-gf of mine.