High end air vs AIO in 2018

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by ayles, Mar 6, 2018.

1. wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

high end air coolers = high end AIO = same shit

Cant speak for the lower market segment.

Personally, Ive got a high end air, the BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2 (or 3), cant remember. Its a beast. No issues with it whatsoever (no issues with Ram clearance either). Sexy af.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    combatant3219 likes this.
  2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Some exceptions the original hyper 212+ with better fans for under $50 > entry level $70+ AIO’s.

3. Insert Gibberish

Insert Gibberish Member

That is why if anyone is interested in REAL Water Cooling you can acquire and build a fully customized setup that not only cools your CPU but also your Motherboard, Video Cards and even Hard Drives as well.

Going this way you get the lowest temps possible and have a system able to be overclocked way above what any Air or AIO disaster, could ever manage. But be aware it will cost you far more but at least it should last the lifetime of the hardware installed inside your case.

4. OP
    OP
    ayles

ayles Member

Seems the jury is split, the Ultra120 is a beast paired with nice fans. The Artic Silver under it is also 5 years old, I might clean and re-mount to gain a few C.

As per Insert Gibberish post above, I also have a top 120mm fan and rotated the cooler upwards. With EIST enables I idle high 20s low 30s. The extra 6 fans have been added to keep the 1070s cool while mining and they top out at 66/75c for bottom/top card.

Long live air cooling? I can't do another $500 custom loop to gain 200mhz.

5. markf0

markf0 Member

Just bought a NH-D15 won't be needing another cooler anytime soon the things a beast and no RAM clearance issues whatso ever.

6. v81

v81 Member

Saw mention of NZXT, stay well the fuck away from them.
    Their CAM app is a disgusting example of software, and i can't see any other way to control the pump speed without it.
    That said given that it regularly fails to load anyway i might as well uninstall and do without it.
    If you're stupid enough to consider NZXT at least take a look at what others have said before pulling the trigger.
    Having a cooler that is dependent on a driver that is not available for anything but windows seems insane and a good enough reason to stay away in itself.

7. fcyde

fcyde Member

+1 Im currently using a kraken X61 and the CAM software is nothing but headaches. Switching to a H150i or Thermaltake Floe 360 soon

8. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah the software attached to a lot of this crap now days is horrible. Especially RGB related stuff.
    None of it talks to other brands, most is unstable or adds significant boot delays.

Corsair H110i wasn't too bad. Used the software to set the lights on the pump to rainbow, pump to max speed and fans to a constant ~1300rpm to keep noise in line with the rest of the setup. Then uninstalled the software and the settings stick.

Shame the pump header is only for monitoring rpm and can't be used to control it directly via bios or a manual controller, Although at max speed I can't hear it above the case fans, so it can just run flat out.

Even without the software installed having the usb2 header plugged in is good for showing watertemps / fan speed / pump speed via hwinfo at least.

While performance wise it isn't much different, the AIO coolers do look the part and saves hanging all that weight on your cpu socket. Almost ripped the socket out of my old AMD system over the years and needs a good physical push every now and then to boot. lol

I'll be going proper water cooling once I find blocks for these damn cards anyway. Silence is golden.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  9. J4CKT

J4CKT New Member

Is the NH-D15 still king or have any of the other brands caught up for high end air cooling?

Have there been any definitive comparisons between them recently?

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

D15 is still king among air coolers, but you can get it in a 'Chromax' version now that looks great, no noctua brown and interchangable colour schemes with heatsink shrouds and stuff. There is some 'very close' competition around though, 'Be Quiet' have a large cooler that competes, and there are others.

11. Disruptor4

Disruptor4 Member

I kept the original fans and it still was great... I probably should replace them with something better (both in performance and being a bit quieter...)

12. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yeah you should. I changed mine to the older Noctua fans and it performed really good and quiet under load conditions.

13. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I am sick of maintenance of custom loop but want to go AIO for looks, thinking h115i or the new 360mm corsair cooler, apparently it doesnt perform all to great but i think thats down to the silly cheap rgb fans. Might go well with some Scythe GT's

14. OP
    OP
    ayles

ayles Member

Out of interest what maintenance are you doing on the loop?

My old loop sat for 2 years with just a quick check over the fittings every now and then looking for leaks. I think I topped up the res once.

15. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Never had to touch my loops for maintenance either. If everything was flushed beforehand and you're running some form of biocide it should be set and forget (apart from the odd dusting of the radiator).

16. havabeer

havabeer Member

Yep havent touched mine in over 6 months.

Avoid pastel coolants and it’s all good

17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Custom loops only high maintenance if you always go out and buy the latest hardware when it comes out. This was the case for me back then in 2008-2010 as I would go out and buy the newest graphics card when it came out, had to sell the existing stuff if it wasn’t compatible. I got over the whole W/C phase and went with air coolers after.

18. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Just ordered a good chunk of my custom loop, so I'll have a hyper 212x + a corsair h115i for sale soonish. :p

I think the ML fans on the new corsair coolers (150i etc) are quite good, just a hell of a lot quieter than the screaming beasts that come with the 115i etc. I'm sure if you replace them with loud ass fans that push twice the air they will perform quite well for what they are.

I set my 115i to max pump speed and fans at ~1100rpm constant speed to keep it quiet instead of jumping to 1800rpm when the cpu is under load, rather than the water temps going up and making a constant racket.

19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Dunno always been told to drain and redo tubing yearly..

I am using soft plastic tubing, demin water + liquid utopia.

whats longest people left their loops? Ive done bout 15 months..

20. __RavErz__

__RavErz__ Member

To put it simply, high end air has similar results to high end AIO but at a fraction of the price. However, there are some considerations. I have had an AIO cpu cooler running for 6 years now steady on a system and there is absolutely no dust around that area after not being cleaned for 6 years. Air coolers will attract dust. Another matter to consider is looks and space. If you want to have a small case then you can do that by having an AIO which transfers the cooling bulk elsewhere in the case, allowing you to have a thin case. High end air coolers require a large clearance. An AIO cooler definitely looks cooler as well with extra points for any RGB options!

A possible negative for the AIO is the pump may fail.