High End Compact

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by freelancer, Dec 17, 2012.

1. freelancer

freelancer Member

So I'm selling all my DSLR gear and have decided to invest in a high end compact camera. What I'm looking for is a small, portable one lens camera that I can travel with and take with me everywhere.

After reading alot over the weekend I THINK I've narrowed it down to the
    NEX-6 16-50 or Canon Eos M 18-55. Both are the standard kit lens but that focal range is about right for an everyday lens. The EOS M has no flash though so I'm leaning towards NEX-6.

Budget - 800-1k

Canon Powershot G1X? Fuji? Lumix?

HELP!

2. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

Olympus om-d?

3. Hexx

Hexx Member

I was in the same boat, also planning to do a lot of traveling.
    Sold my 7D and all lenses. Really got over the bulk and obtrusiveness in the end.

Using a Fuji X100 now and loving it.

4. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

5. 2SHY

2SHY Member

This, looking to pick one up myself.

6. OP
    OP
    freelancer

freelancer Member

It seems to be a great camera but fear that the 35mm fixed lens could become a little restrictive - especially when traveling?!

7. opterown

opterown Member

I'd go for the Sony RX100

8. Hexx

Hexx Member

I feel the same, but I found that I loved street, landscape and general travel photos. The 35mm seems to do it pretty well.
    When you ONLY have 35mm, you learn to live with it. I dont think its a bad thing in the end, you learn to make the most of what you have, rather than worry about 'oh have i got the right lens on', or 'would have been so much better with the other lens' etc.

Later on when they get more affordable I would love a X-Pro1 or something simular, so i can get a longer lens, say 85mm. But a setup is a lot more expensive, and the X100 is well under $800.

Im not pushing for you to get any particular type of camera or system. Just giving you an insight into what I went through.

9. OP
    OP
    freelancer

freelancer Member

Thanks for the insight. I think its just reaffirmed my belief on getting it now. :p

The Sony RX100 seems to be a solid compact as well. More suggestions aren't helping! :lol:

10. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Tried out my dad's RX100. Amazing IQ for it's size.

11. mystic_granny

mystic_granny Member

Got one of these and i love it to death

12. aokman

aokman Member

It's a great camera bear in mind though that its no replacement for an slr and wide lens selection... Wish I had your balls lol I'm lugging 10kg of camera gear overseas to make sure I don't miss anything.

13. OP
    OP
    freelancer

freelancer Member

So then, the question must be asked...RX100 or NEX-6?

14. MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

RX100 for compactness
    NEX-6 for IQ and lenses

15. philz

philz Member

Olympus Xpro-1

OM-D EM5

Sony Nex6

16. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Another option:

panasonic gx1 with pz x14-42 lens is cheap as $500 on kogan (I paid ~$800 a few months ago) and compact (slight edge over nex-6). Spare budget for extra lenses later on.

Sony nex-6 is a good choice as suggested with a bit better iq than panasonic though less lens choices than panasonic if you expand later on.

If compactness if the most importent, then sony rx100 it'll fit in the pocket much easier. Otherwise Sony nex-6 or panasonic gx1

x-pro and om-d are both overbudget.

17. OP
    OP
    freelancer

freelancer Member

It's quite surprising there isn't much from Canon. I can say with absolute certainty that I only want one lens. I guess an upgrade down the track might be possible, but extremely unlikely.

I just had a friend ask me, "which one does better selfies" :tongue:

I need to go to a shop and see how big the NEX-6 feels/handles. I like the idea of being able to manual focus, which would mean the NEX6, is that correct? (manual focus from time to time)

18. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

If you're buying a compact. Buy it because its compact. Anything with an interchangeable lens sticking out wont fit in your pants/coat/hand purse

I have the Sony RX100. ;) This is what i do with it. Mind you i also have two DSLRs but i always carry the RX100 with me.

19. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

If its the occasional manual focus any of the options suggested will do manual focus ok (sony rx100 through control dial, focus lever on panasonic x14-42). If you were doing it all the time nex-6 is the best choice with viewfinder and focus ring, but autofocus is good for 95% of the time.

20. dracoMJB

dracoMJB Member

Have you looked at the Canon S100 / S110?

I picked up a S100 as a traveling alternative to DSLR, can shoot fully manual with RAW/RAW+jpg or fully automatic or anything in between, plus some interesting creative functions.

I just replaced my S100 with an EOS-M so I can make use of my DSLR lenses but still be able to travel with a small camera. It sounds like the mirrorless but interchangable lens cameras are not really fitting your requirements.