High over South Australia

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by bogaurd, Oct 13, 2010.

1. bogaurd

bogaurd Member

I figured I might share a few photos from a project of mine - these pics were taken at approx 35km from a high altitude balloon flying over South Australia.

Not exactly in the same vein as most other posts in this forum, but I thought there might be some interest! :)

[​IMG]
    You can see the Murray here

[​IMG]
    Looks like the gulf & lake Alexandrina

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. XR6DAn

XR6DAn Member

Cool shots - how far did it travel (horizontally)?

3. OP
    OP
    bogaurd

bogaurd Member

That flight travelled about 190km - there's a flight path here, green line is me driving.

4. Goobers

Goobers Member

umm....coool

I demand full work logs and project history IMMEDIATELY...also an answer to the most demanding question......why???

please.

5. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Awesome stuff.

And Goobers, why not should be the question ;)

6. Goobers

Goobers Member

it s a good way to pick out a new shoot location, just send up a gps receiver, and where ever it lands is where you go shooting xD.

7. Statitica

Statitica Member

Interesting, but your horizons are a little crooked... :rolleyes:;)

First two shots are great, the other two don't do as much for me, although it is kinda neat seeing the clouds and shadows in the last shot.

8. bachamp

bachamp Member

Amazing even balloon don't want to be in South Australia. Almost a direct path to Victoria...

Thats cool. Did you do for any reason, or was it just for the hell of it.

9. lench

lench Member

been wanting to try this for a while
    what kinda rig were you using?

10. dche5390

dche5390 Member

Respect. Word.

11. OP
    OP
    bogaurd

bogaurd Member

Exactly! :D

The project started out when I saw a few similar concepts a year or so ago - since then we've had 8 launches, and have been experimenting with lots of concepts - we've built & flown a radio repeater, HD video & more. At the moment we're toying with the idea of flying IP over radio links, and we're using our tracking systems as a platform to fly & recover payloads & experiments for others.

I have a website for the project online here - there's an archive of all the flights, lots of photos and a blog too.

Pretty much everything is home brew. The camera that took the shots above (Horus 7) was a Canon a560 running CHDK. Tracking is handled by a flight computer - a microcontroller, GPS module & 25mW radio transmitter - good for about 500km range. Data is received and plotted in real time in our chase cars, and uploaded to the net for live tracking via Google Maps too.

12. rubix

rubix Member

Very cool photos, what normally happens when the unit lands on private property? Is it a case of finding out who owns the land and talking them or is it a mad dash in and out quickly?

13. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Different and I like them..but yeah the horizon needs to be straight :lol:

Seriously though..interested in photos of the setup etc

P.S. Thought it might have been Cypress Hill guys in a plane flying over ADL

14. OP
    OP
    bogaurd

bogaurd Member

This is dictated by where exactly we land - in most cases we'll find the landowner and seek their permission. So far they've all been happy for us to go retrieve it, some even helping out!

If the payload lands in huge farm plains with no easily discernible owner, we just tread very carefully and make sure we don't damage any crops - follow fences where possible, and walk in the furrows between rows of crop. Recovery is always on foot - we don't trample paddocks with cars! :)

We've also retrieved met bureau balloons & radiosondes - when we've mentioned this to farmers they tend to be quite appreciative, despite the fact that we trespassed on their land - evidently radiosondes and their lines regularly get tangled up in harvesting equipment.

Straight horizon is tricky with an unmanned camera hanging on a 50m pendulum below a balloon! :p

Will pop up some pics of the various flight computers, etc.

15. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Sensational work! Absolutely love it. :) My younger brother and I played around with small hot air balloons which we made out of greaseproof paper and powered with a self-designed methylated spirits burner. :lol: The largest of them was just over 3m high, but it was a small dirigible which went the furthest (traveled just over 3km, followed in a car, climbed to around 300 metres).

Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we never managed aerial photography. We managed to lift a camera once (repeated tests with weighted payloads showed lift was not a problem), but the timer was unreliable and wouldn't take shots :(

16. kally

kally Member

Mind-blowing! To think of that thin bit of atmosphere protecting us from all that radiation, space debris etc. Thanks for making me ponder :thumbup:

17. Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

Yeah, I heard someone once say that if you imagine a wooden globe, the varnish on the outside is the atmosphere...

Great photos always pondered trying out this sorta thing

18. MoorKhan

MoorKhan Member

Awesome stuff :)

Any plans for a rockoon launch in the future?

Considered using a launch bag to help make things a bit more manageable during unfavourable weather? Or are they impractical with long balloon trains?

19. HSVenforcer

HSVenforcer Member

Congrats and well done!!

20. doodz

doodz Member

Wow cool!

How did you do it? Did you need clearance from some official or?