High ping - tracert shows high ping from 2nd hop - wat is cause

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by echelon6, Feb 10, 2019.

1. echelon6

echelon6 Member

I use TPG, using an old billion 7800N that's at least 6 years old now. I get around 500 ping to local servers, as per gaming and test sites like https://www.meter.net/ping-test/

ping is intermittent - sometimes 20ms (which is normal), but sometimes as high as 500ms, even to Sydney servers.

tracert is shown here https://imgur.com/a/t8wSEJD

I note the high ping starts from hop 2 onwards, always. High ping obtained from fully wired setup (cat6 all the way), as well as wifi devices so I think the LAN is fine.

What does a ping spike at hop 2 suggest? could it be my own router? I should mention that although my trusty old router is 6 years old, there's absolutely no other issues with my internet, my LAN, or other features - if router is damaged I would expect other symptoms.

We've had heaps of storms in the last month in Sydney. A few weeks ago I had a bandwith issue with my line - TPG had to send a telstra tech to fix it, took a week. Now ping spikes - but TPG reckons it's my router - what do you guys think?

2. timace

timace Member

Definitely try another ADSL modem to rule it out, but it sounds like an internet connection fault.

3. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

If Tpg is sending out Telstra tech, it must be Telstra wholesale adsl, mind me asking where in Sydney?

4. OP
    OP
    echelon6

echelon6 Member

so a slow hop2 trace shouldn't be caused by a router fault right?

5. caspian

caspian Member

host 1 is your local router. host 2 is TPG's BRAS device.

yes, the latency between host 1 and host 2 could be caused by your router, the only way to determine that is to try another device. I doubt a field technician is going to be able to do much about it, because the copper line can't cause that, at most they can change the line to a different port to trial. more likely though that issue is caused by poor active equipment performance, it would be more useful if they diagnosed that in more detail.

6. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Are you using wireless?

7. bcann

bcann Member

Hop1 shows 1ms to his router.... there is no wireless that will give you that low a time to the router.

8. BAK

BAK Member

Isn't fiber technically wireless?

caspian likes this.
  9. bcann

bcann Member

Nope.

It has a cable that plugs in at both ends does it not?

10. BAK

BAK Member

I mean, it's possible he has a fiber termination point (SFP) in his router, and a fiber nic in his PC. Thus there are no "wires" in his end to end connection making it "wireless".

It's my shitpost, and I'll defend it to the end!

PS: I also thought about mentioning extra low latency token ring wireless.

11. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

What are you actually syncing at to now? Down/Up?