High quality DVDs (eg. 2Fast 2Furious)

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by li21, Sep 30, 2007.

1. li21

li21 Member

Hi all,

Ive noticed quite a few stores use 2Fast 2 Furious as the instore demo dvd.
    Quite simply, its looks fantastic! I often have to tell myself its not Blueray... but just a normal DVD.

Got a copy for home just to see if it bring out the best in my cheapo LCD and it does!

Dont know why.. is this an example of better DVD mastering or something? Some DVDs just dont look that crash hot.

Star Wars Ep3 looks good, but there arent any realistic scenes that quite compare.

Are there any other DVDs that can compare for visual quality?
    Can we get a list going here?

2. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Anything animated, finding nemo is a fav of mine makes a 10yr old CRT look like a 1080p LCD.

3. AMD64

AMD64 Member

As good as a blu-ray / HD-DVD ? I doubt that very much.

But yes it looks awseome for a DVD.

4. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Or you could just be looking at the HD Generator from LG which a lot of stores use to demo LG TVs. The generator put out 1080p signal equivalent of blueray/HDDVD quality and one of the clips that they use is 2Fast2Furious. We have this at work.

5. Tony

Tony New Member

sounds like an upscaling device

eg. if i use a computer to play back DVD at VGA 1,280 x 1,024 on one of the big work projectors it looks a lot better than playing back at just 720 x 576 which is the normal DVD resolution

otherwise troll www.michaeldvd.com.au for the reviews of the best looking DVDs

6. Infest

Infest Member

So if I were to purchase a DVD Upscaler, I would get the best out of my DVDs? Therefore not having to convert to either Blu-Ray or HD?

7. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

It will not be AS good as a BluRay/HD image as upscaling can't produce new information/resolution.

Realistically it all depends on your TV/eyes/viewing distance though. Upscaled DVDs looks maybe 5-10% better. (I really can't tell the difference msot of the time unless I'm really paying attention). Bluray howeve is quite easily discerenable, especially with text etc on the screen. This is only on a 720p TV for me. I think on a 1080p tv the difference between Bluray/HDDVD would be even greater.

However, if you're watching on a small tv (32") at like 3 metres, you probably will struggle to tell the difference at all between any. On a 50" 1080p at 2 metres however, you'll easily see the difference in resolution.

8. qwijibo

qwijibo Member

It depends on how much space they had on the dvd for the actual film vs extras and soundtracks. The more space available, the more bits can be used for the video, and it needs to be compressed less.

e.g. when they put the movie on a dvd by itself, and extras on another dvd, the movie is generally visually better, because they have more bits for it.

You can also have varying degrees of quality due to how much effort they spent cleaning up the movie and mastering it before doing the dvd version. A lot of older movies had really quick&dirty conversions and looked so-so.

Its ages since I bought any dvds, but other ones that have decent visual quality are the 4 disc LOTR versions, The Fifth Element (superbit or 2 disc version), Black Hawk Down (3 disc version)

Still, dvd can't compare to hd-dvd or blueray - they have so much more bandwidth available.

9. OP
    OP
    li21

li21 Member

How do you get comptuer to upscale DVD image? If I play in say WMP its still normal DVD res right?

10. AMD64

AMD64 Member

You can't generate information from nothing, the reason that upscaled dvd's look better then dvd's run through your tv normally is because the upscaler is doing a better job at upscaling the dvd then your tv would, upscaled dvd's cant touch HD-DVD/Blu-ray with a 10ft pole.

11. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I know. It's not generating info from nothing. It's called a HD Generator. It's just a media player with a HDD in it. It doesn't have a bluray/HDDVD drive so it's not either. It's not upscaling anything since everything on it is already at 1080p. It's a loan unit from LG to be used only on LG tvs.

12. Tony

Tony New Member

just play back DVD in whatever player you use and output it to the resolution that best suits your VGA device

eg. 1,366 x 768 on most 720p panels

13. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Mate,

I can tell you right now, upscaled DVD, when done using a quality scaler or correctly (in the case of a HTPC) looks pretty damn good....

....And when Transformers comes out I will be watching it on upscaled DVD just like all you Blu-ray owners will be.

It's a little too early to be praising the HD formats just yet.

14. AMD64

AMD64 Member

True it looks good, I watch most my dvd's through a good dvd scaler (PS3). But seriously, unless transformers are pulling some magic stuff to get 1080P on dvd it doesnt hold a light even scaled.

Examples. *WARNING HUGE FILES*

http://xylon.haloapplications.com/hddvd/chroniclesofriddick/02/
    http://xylon.haloapplications.com/hddvd/harrypotter/01/

you get the main idea. Plenty more on there

15. Burners

Burners Member

Although this particular line of formats has been discontinued because of Blue Ray/HD-DVD developments some of the Superbit DVD's apparently available look damn nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbit

Though I can't say I ever saw them widely advertised or promoted here in Australia.

16. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

I have the Superbit versions of The Fifth Element and The Fast and The Furious, and can notice an improvement on my 720P projector. Better black detail and no noticeable macro blocking on high motion scenes, two main drawbacks of MPEG encoding. The Fifth Element encode is generally regarded to be of exceptional quality, among the best as far as DVD goes AFAIK.
    Still looking for that Superbit Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon though.

17. wongsta

wongsta Member

Yea i guess if its just the a demo, they would have used up as much as the dvd as they could for the short time period, resulting in a really high bitrate.

18. Infest

Infest Member

Some more DVDs are:

Alien VS Predator: Definitive Edition
    Alien: Definitive Edition
    Predator: Definitive Edition

Can be had for around $12 at Target or $30 at EzyDVD.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/794812

19. Zee

Zee Member

Which is why you should never use an animated movie to test a screens capabilities. It's easy to make anything look good with a cartoon - use a movie with lots of details, lots of movement, not to mention colours, blacks etc... Oh, and this is the tough part - get it calibrated first.. Or, at the very least, get it off Dynamic!

Z...

20. Impression

Impression (Banned or Deleted)

I wish the Fifth element came out on DVD :)