High-Res Audio Codecs

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Mynamewastaken, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Does anyone know how higher res codecs are implemented onto/into a handset?

I was under the (mistaken) impression, that with the introduction of Oreo, the higher res aptx-HD and LDAC codecs are baked in to Android.

That hasn't happened with my 2 year old Moto G5+ though. Even looking at gsmarena, they seem to suggest that a brand new $1500+ S10 only comes with aptx? Is it just luck of the draw with a phone?

Apologies to Iphone/Apple users if they don't know what any of this is. :p

2. mtma

mtma Member

In the case of AptX due to the licensing requirements it is up to each vendor to engage in a licensing arrangement with Qualcomm before providing the feature in Android, and that's separate to just having their processor or using any other Qualcomm parts or technology. So for example my Nokia 6.1 doesn't support AptX for that reason - they cheaped out on it.

3. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Do your headphones even support aptX/hd?

4. OP
    OP
    Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

I own a pair of Sony headphones that support everything codec wise.

Yeah, doing more reading, it seems like it's entirely up to the vendor on whether they want to support the codecs or not.

I'd be annoyed to put down 4 figures on a handset to find out it doesn't offer support. Your Nokia for example, might not support aptX, but the 7.1 does. I'd pay the extra 40 or 50 bucks knowing that.