1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Highly erratic core voltage

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Brissmas, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Brissmas

Brissmas Member

Hey guys I hope this is the right place!
    I picked up a socket 478 P4 machine recently to play around with some older hardware as my intro to PCs was with an E6300.

The CPU core voltage reading (vccp1 in Hwinfo running on XP or core voltage in CPUZ) jumps around between 0.4v to 2.3v. This number changes basically every time hwinfo/CPUZ updates. From what I can see online the voltage should be around 1.45v at all times. My board is a Gigabyte GA-8SR533 R2.

I’ve played around with the bios and tried a different power supply, repasted twice just for good measure and I can’t for the life of me figure out what’s going on. Some of you more experienced lads might know but I can’t find any information on google about it either....

If you made it this far thank you, have a great day :)

2. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Is the system stable? Maybe check to see if the bios has a hardware info section, and if so check to see if the core voltage is jumping about in their also

Personally if the system was stable i wouldn't read too much into it as it could be just a faulty voltage sensor or the like. If the system isn't stable then thats a whole other story.

3. OP
    OP
    Brissmas

Brissmas Member

Hey mate thanks for the reply.

It seems fairly stable doing say to day tasks, haven’t had a freeze/crash etc and I can’t “feel” the voltage or temperature spikes in the OS. Should I also give Prime95 a spin to see how it goes stability wise?

The temperature sensors also seem out of whack, one of the temperatures reported 115 degrees C at one point so I’m inclined to believe that hardware associated with handling sensor values may be faulty?

4. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

yeah prime95 would be a good way to see how stable it is, however i reckon if the volts were really dropping that low it would be struggling just to boot into windows.

Did you check to see if the bios reports the temps and voltages? it could just be a software incompatibility with whatever sensors gigabyte is using on that board.

5. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

6. OP
    OP
    Brissmas

Brissmas Member

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention the bios has no mention of voltage or temperature at all with my motherboard revision (I think it’s available in a later rev as per manual)

I also updated the bios last night from F2 (stock/oldest) to F7 (newest) and there was no change.

I’ll triple check that the version of CPUZ is era correct to ensure maximum compatibility, I don’t think I did that so thanks for the suggestion!
    There is no information in this board anywhere