Highpoint HP370 RAID controller and windows 2000 install problems

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by daewoodog, Aug 7, 2001.

1. daewoodog

daewoodog Member

I want to boot Windows 2000 from the highpoint hp370 controller on a Abit VP6 motherboard.

I have two identical IBM Deskstar 40GB 60GXP HDD.

I have the latest bios and driver versions of every thing.

Has any one worked out a way to get win 2k to install onto a raid zero (striped array) without comming up with the error:

"the file ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt..... etc."

I have looked at some of the reviewing sites and they suggest to set up the OS on a spare single drive, then disc copy from the spare onto the newly created raid array (the two drives act a one large capacity drive).

I tried this but it didn't work, it just complained about the page file not being big enough that looped between that and the loading user settings dialoge. The same result for a image copy.

Ghost has both drive imaging and copy ability, and has gotten me out of alot of sticky situations before, but no matter what I do nothing seems to work. HELP!

2. doolz

doolz Member

This from the Highpoint site :

To install Windows 2000, be sure to press "F6" to when Windows 2000 begins installation of the operating system and prompts to press "F6" to install SCSI or RAID devices. Be sure to correctly install the latest version of HPT370 device driver for Windows 2000.

3. munka

munka Member

You need to put the disk in and install the drivers at the startup prompt, it will ask you for a disk before it installs anything else. Ignore that and your in the shits:)

4. bambi

bambi Member

but if you press F6 and install the hotrod drivers, it does work. im sitting here on an almost identical setup, and have never had any probs.

so install the right drivers matey :)

5. OP
    OP
    daewoodog

daewoodog Member

highpoint hp370 raid problems....

Thanks for your responses guys, but it isn't a driver issue (I'm always crap @ explaining stuff...

I can get the os (w2k) installation copied to the raid drive, and see it from dos and ghost, but as soon as i try to restart the pc to continue with the installation, it comes up with "ntoskrnl.exe corrupt or missing, please replace....etc."

I have tried installing winnt4 workstation even, but it says it can't find a hard drive to install onto.

I'll keep checking out the windows and forum sites, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

I don't want to resort to using win98/me just to get raid working.

Then again I suppose giving win 98 a go isn't such a bad idea.

At the moment I can get win 2k running on older drive and have raid 0 drive working as a data (non os) drive perfectly, but this isn't what I want.

If I copy an image onto the raid drive i can get into the recovery console, but labouriously replacing one broken system file after another is something I don't enjoy doing....

6. doolz

doolz Member

So did you actually press F6 at the start up and install the highpoint drivers?

7. leperMessiah

leperMessiah Member

I have had this threee times in the last week then mobo (VP6) died (again.)

Had to do full reinstalls each time.

Run the drive test utility from IBM on the drives before setting up the RAID (see other thread somewhere in here about problems with IBM drives - I have had 3 of these one was bad out of box, others ok so far.)

8. munka

munka Member

is your frontside bus overclocked?

9. leperMessiah

leperMessiah Member

win98 will only see and use one CPU.

If you can explain carefully, step by step, we might be able to offer help without silly time wasting suggestions.

Try dropping your FSB back to 66 to see if it loads.

10. faktor

faktor Member

i just put it on primary ide normal then loaded on raid controllers from cd then changed it to the primary ide on the raid an it worked

11. MAdMungo

MAdMungo Member

I had the same problem a couple of days ago when installing onto my KA7-100, onboard highpoint raid, board.

What I did was I upgraded to the latest bios with the current raid bios and grabed the drivers with the same version # as the bios, have found that using earlier or later driver versions cause problems.

You need to press F6 when asked if any SCSI devices are to be installed, then insert a floppy with the Highpoint drivers so the raid controller is recognized, after that the install should go ahead without problems.

I noticed that every time you are asked if any SCSI devices are to be installed you need to press F6 and install the drivers even if you have allready done it before.

12. mrjn

mrjn Member

press f6 and put in the highpoint driver disc that came with the mob when it asks during install you will have to do a "clean install"!! to make it work...after building the raid array
    i