Hiking Boot Recommendations

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by remlableinad, Aug 18, 2018.

1. remlableinad

remlableinad Member

Hey all,
    Going on a holiday in northern Europe in November.
    I can foresee a lot of walking in damp muddy snowy areas.
    I've just started researching the appropriate footwear and it's tbh a bit shit. I'll pretty much be wearing them for the entirety of the holiday.
    Has anyone got any suggestions. I have a wide US 10 foot and am finding that most boots only really cater for a skinnyish foot.
    Alternatively if anyone has some 2nd handy's i could try...maybe...
    Cheers.

2. Winterheart

Winterheart Member

remlableinad likes this.
  3. Boneman

Boneman Member

Running shoes with goretex.

remlableinad likes this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You have to make a decision about what you want in terms of what you need for the terrain you will be travelling. If you need ankle support because of very rough terrain then you need high back boots. Otherwise you can just go with a regular low cut boot.

I appreciated the high ankle support on my recent hiking trip to NZ. If you are in very cold climates you will need thick socks so take that into account when you look at your sizes.

I got these and couldn't have been happier with their performance in terms of comfort and waterproofness.....no blisters either:

https://www.anacondastores.com/foot...-vi-i-waterproof-mens-hiking-boots/BP90113266

Don't get the cheap shit imo, go middle/upper in the cost range.

remlableinad likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    remlableinad

remlableinad Member

Goretex is definitely the go.
    We're expecting NZ type of weather. Wet, snowy, muddy, uneven and slippery. We'll be in Northern Scotland for the majority of the journey.
    Debating weather I buy something and use them for the entire holiday (we'll be in England and France too) or if i have these as spare for just the hiking periods.
    Are they generally comfortable enough to be just dawdling around in the city too? Colours are questionable for relaxed occasions....brown.....brown.....................brown.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The ones I linked above were brilliant around town. I walked heaps around Christchurch and they were comfy as. Had thick thermal socks on though.

7. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

This is probably stating the bleedingly obvious but for goodness sake wear them in before you go. I bought some thick North Face boots and didn't wear them in prior to hiking about Utah (in my defense I bought them in December in Australia so wearing them around would have been sweatacular). Anyway damn did I get some big old weeping infected blisters. Let us know how you go :)

8. cam99

cam99 Member

Hiking boots can have very stiff soles which will cause your foot to stay very flat through your stride.
    This can take a bit of getting used to.

If you are wearing them for the entirety of your holiday you may need to compromise between a Hiking and a more casual shoe.

Go into Athletes foot and take a look at the variety they have.
    You might need some support in the right places as well, arch, heel cup.

Having said then I backpacked from Japan across Russia via the trans-Siberian through Finland and Austria in a pair of black leather Rossi boots I brought from Rays Camping with a set of gell innersoles.
    After having given them a liberal coating of waterproofing, worked fine.

If you get your shoes/boots soaked a hair dryer can be an alternative to the top of the heater for drying.

9. cam99

cam99 Member

10. Falkor

Falkor Member

I bought a pair of Scarpa's a while back in the US, hiked in Peru in them and they are great. Cost a bit but I still have them and use them every now and then, will last me forever hopefully.

11. Tinian

Tinian Member

Scarpa. Last forever, comfortable.

12. OP
    OP
    remlableinad

remlableinad Member

These Scarpa look good, whats the sizing like?

13. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I've been happy with a pair of Ridgeline boots, I think they are the Apache model from the look of them. Lots of bushwalking and quite a lot of general day-to-day wear, the soles are maybe half worn out as an indicator of how many miles they've done. Waterproof too which is useful. The only annoyance is that the stock laces are very long and don't seem to stay tied, but fortunately being so long I just double-tie them like skates which works fine and is maybe their plan all along.

14. stump1100

stump1100 Member

Sadly, I think the quality of Scarpa boots has dropped and validated (for me at least) by the soles detaching on my Kailash boots. Have seen a few reports here and there of the same thing happening...good boots when not damaged but for the cost this shouldn't occur.

15. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

The brand that fits!! It sounds like you've got wider feet like me, which means you may need to look a bit harder. These days to me it is a matter of picking a category of shoe or boot that I want. low cut, high cut, waterproof, non-waterproof, sole stiffness, weight/construction materials etc. Then just trawl the good outdoors stores trying on everything in that category. All the brands will fit differently, and if sticking to reputable brands, most will do the job. Fit is more important than picking a brand and sticking to it.

Brands that I've found fitting well for my last few shoes or boots have been: Vasque (these were specifically a wide size), innov8 trail runners, current boots are Salewa (at Macpac). Even different models within a brand will fit differently. Although within massive brands like Scarpa you can usually check which "last" they've used for that particular model. With some models more suited to a wider foot. I've never tried on a Scarpa that fit very well. Keen's would be another one to try for wider feet and my brother (who has similar fit issues) currently uses Altra runners and has some fairly light weight higher cut versions which he uses for bushwalking.

Most good shops will ask how long/many days you'll be walking and what sort of weight you're likely to be carrying. They'll usually recommend a stiffer sole if you're carrying a heavier pack. But as mentioned a stiffer sole can take some getting used to.

Softer rubber will give you better grip but will wear out quicker. This will usually be on shoes from the likes of Five10, La Sportiva etc...

If you're going to be in wet and muddy conditions I'd be thinking about a second pair of shoes for around town. Heavier boots can take a long time to dry off unless you have really good sun in between. Goretex can be good and bad. It can help keep your feet dry to a point. But if you're out in the wet long enough your feet will get wet. Gaitors will help. Then once you've got water inside the membrane it acts like a bucket and it stays in there.

16. resonance

resonance Member

Add Eclipsor said, go for one that fit well. Try a bunch on. I have wide feet and I've found Keen are very comfy and wide, plus rugged with the Vibram soles. If in cold climates go for boots for the ankle support.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

As opposed to going for a shoe that doesn't fit well?

18. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Thread necro, but Salomons with goretex, or if money is no object and you want a pair of boots that you can wear your whole life then give to your grandchildren on your deathbed, some Hanwags.

(I live in a mountain valley in Canada now, with hiking being a huge thing here all year round)

19. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

I'm in the market for some hiking boots now. Plan to do a couple rough terrain hikes but nothing involved with extreme climbing and I doubt I'll be in planning to hike in the rainy season but good to have something worth it in case I get caught out in the rain with Victorian weather. Budget is under $200 and I'll maybe hike 3-4 times a year.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Plenty in that $100-$200 range. Just go in a try a few on and decide if you want high backs or not.