Hikvision CCTV Camera PoE - External PoE Injector Query

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by SupraMario, Dec 6, 2019.

1. SupraMario

SupraMario New Member

Hey everyone,

I have a query in relation to PoE injector powering a Hikvision CCTV Camera.

For some background -
    Have a camera at the front of the house and during the build the security installer broke the ethernet cable to it. They reterminated the cable so that pins 4/5 were not operational which is fine for PoE Mode A but but now Mode B.

This caused no problems until I had enough of the old CCTV system they installed and put a Hikvision one in, Hikvision NVR + Cameras seem to talk solely on PoE Mode B, which utilises Pins 4/5.

Hence that camera is not receiving any power and is dead to the world.

To run a new cable is a monster job (100m run , under slabs/roofs its a mess) will have to do an external run if I do, however before that. I wanted to try something.

Knowing that the cable was re-terminated and the pins all check out. The Hikvision Cameras will apparently auto negotiate the power based on what its connecting too. I'm now pondering the idea of trying to find a PoE Injector that will work on Mode A.

With the hopes of connecting the PoE Injector running Mode A between the camera and the Hikvision NVR.
    I'm hoping (unsure if anyone has tried this) that as long as I disable PoE on the port that the camera is connecting too on the NVR that *IF* powering it via this method works, the camera would show up on the NVR and start working once again.

Has anyone by chance possibly done anything similar ?

My other concern then is attempting to try source a PoE Injector that will work in Mode A as they all seem to default to Mode B.

I did find this one -
    https://shop.duxtel.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=26_41&products_id=517
    And jaycar seems to have one but at $60 is a fair wallop on a "maybe / might work"

The problem with the duxtel one, theres no power transformer provided with it, which actually brings me full circle to my original query.

The cameras work on

DC 12v, 5W MAX (pOE (802.3af)

The PoE injector from duxtel above for example, supports 12v up to 56v, does anyone know if I get a power plug for this injector and its rated at 24v for example, that the camera will only draw the necessary 12v ?

Just not sure how careful with the size power I should get for it.

Or if anyone knows of any alternative PoE injectors that might help, i'm all ears.

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

2. Privatteer

Privatteer Member

Can you use a 12v local input for that one camera? Some/many of the hik's have them.

The POE input on Hik cameras follows the standards far as I know and takes 35-57V DC.
    I always thought Hik's cameras supported both mode A and B. It may be just the NVR only outputting mode B, which means a Mode A injector would fix the issue as you suspect.
    Below injector is mode A.
    https://www.alloy.com.au/products/011124/

Other option is if you have 6 working cores it might be possible to drop pins 5 and 8 if you start at the higher end voltage and pin it to work mode B.

3. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Member

If you know where the break/damage is in the cable, can you expose or repair just that section ?

4. OP
    OP
    SupraMario

SupraMario New Member

Professor Chaos - That is the issue, the cable run is anywhere between 90-140m and I've no idea where the damaged part of the cable is. Otherwise I would entertain that, out of all the cables run for the cctv during the build, this was the worst one to have any issues. :(

Privatteer - thats my understanding as well, per the standards for PoE, the PD (camera) is to accept power via mode A or mode B to meet the standards, the PSE though can be locked to one or the other. Which is precisely what I think the NVR is. However your comment about working with the 6 cores is not something I had considered or thought possible...

5. OP
    OP
    SupraMario

SupraMario New Member

Well update on this, I ended up heading to jaycar and getting the injector from Jaycar.. https://www.jaycar.com.au/gigabit-poe-injector/p/YN8040
    They offer a 7 day full refund if it didnt suit the application so couldn't say no to that.

Got it home, connected it all up, power light confirming connection to the camera came on instantly, plugged it into the NVR. First attempt with PoE PNP Channel 1 - disabled (for some reason I thought this might enable poe on the port) , device detected but network failed.

Changed the PoE PNP Channel 1 - enabled, boom camera came online!

If I could do a cartwheel, I would of done one... happy days!

6. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Member

yay. glad its working.

lan and cable test sets (if calibrated) should be able to give an estimated distance to the fault.
    And whether it's a short or open.
    If you did that from both directions it could give a general idea of where the issue is.
    I also wonder if running a toner down each wire and tracing it along would also help locate it.

7. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

lol so much BS / rere spoken in this thread , but ultimately you got it working which is good.

FWIW

Not really, considering you have an existing cable you can attach it to and pull back with, 90% of the job is done. I would have re-run it if longevity and "best practices" were in mind. (i.e. my own house, or a client... not so much a "m8" for a "slab"
    Not unless its a smart switching power supply. Easier to use a 12v 5a. Gotta be cautious running something like 24v through passive - great way to blow IPC's up.

As per the manufacturer specification... ALWAYS.
    For about $3 you could have bought a Female and Male power connectors with screw fittings. Carefully pulled back the 2 pairs you were going to run the injection on, and simply injected anywhere along the way (preferably NOT 100m away - at 12v theres going to be a bit of loss)

[​IMG]

I find that hard to believe. neither 802.3 AT or AF is good for 140m... youd be lucky to get 100m with it finely tuned / correct cable type (quality also) etc..

Please stop .... lol :lol::lol::upset::upset::upset:

I'm willing to put my money on the following as to what REALLY happened.

1. The line was never "broken" in the first place, perhaps this particular camera was one of the first to be connected. When the installer checked and verified, he moved on to the others, until such time when all were installed, and the little NVR couldnt give enough to the first camera, so it remained intermittent. Rather than checking the power distribution, the installer assumed faulty termination. so re-terminated, and re-terminated, until such time came when either him or you concluded that they had "broken" said line. When really, its simply a limitation in the PoE capability.

Or

2. You are indeed correct about the broken line, however incorrect about the 90-140m span - in which case, I would have held the installer accountable and simply saved myself any of the above-thread hassle ;) .... but, then again, no, because if the installer "tampered" with the line somewhere along the way, he would have known where he tampered with it.... and more to the point, he probably had no reason to tamper with it under the slab or mid span etc.. so back to point 1 i guess? :o

/2c

PS: you know you can buy a 4 port POE switch for like $70 these days right ? you could use that to mid-span any questionable spans... however, again with the spans... so back to #1 for you! :D

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  8. mjunek

mjunek Member

The cable run should be at MOST 90m. Ethernet is only rated to 100m, and you must leave 10m for patch cables at each end. If your installer has run a line longer than this, he's dodgy.
    With the right cable tester it's quite straightforward to find where the break is (if indeed there is one as ikonzor points out above).
    Any good cabler will have a TDR tester that can work out where issues are in the cable to the closest metre. If he's using one of those ones which just tests continuity with the 8 LEDs, and not for split pairs, etc; again - dodgy.
    I have a Fluke Microscanner and it will tell me what pin, and how far from the tester the fault is. Bloody handy feature. With that knowledge, it should be pretty obvious from where the guy was working as to where the break may be.

9. Pugs

Pugs Member

5m each end... 10 would be 110m...

10. mjunek

mjunek Member

Poorly worded on my part - what I meant to say a total of 10m of patch cables at the ends..... could be 5m and 5m, or 1m and 9m or any other combo; not 10m at each end :)

Pugs likes this.