Hills R8 Key Switch - Alarm

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by buttnaked, Apr 15, 2016.

1. buttnaked

buttnaked Member

Does anyone have any tips on this.

I have a Hills Reliance R8 Alarm System
    3 PIR Sensor with one Siren Box Temper
    It has 4 zone with zone doubling enable (ie 8 zones)

Zone 1 to 3 is for the pir and zone 8 is for the siren box temper
    Please see attached photos.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

I'm trying to integrate a pushbutton arm/disarm switch.

In the hills manual it state that you can allocate a zone to be a "Key-Switch" to arm and disarm the panel

http://cdn.myld.com.au/2/289/msafe_0fa74ee7f9.pdf <-- manuals

so I've program zone 7 to be the key switch.

Program zone 7(3) via keypad

This is the code I use.

*8 9713 0# <-- standard program code
    18# * * * * * * 30 *
    Exit Exit

The system reboots.

So I add a 3.3K resister to the 6.98K resister in series to zone 7(3) and in a sealed position. I then quickly remove the resistor and put it back on. The alarm is then supposed to change state, but nothing happens? Any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. OP
    OP
    buttnaked

buttnaked Member

for those that has come across this issue. It's been fixed.

The above code is correct to set a zone as a key-switch. I've just forgot to enable zone doubling after resetting the system.

All working now :)

3. quach128

quach128 Member

Hi,

Ive been looking around to see whether i could activate my Hills R8 alarm using some relay output/switch. This looks like exactly what youve done here.

I dont know much about the Hills R8, and alarm systems in general. But i did install a comnav myself with no issues.

Was wondering if you would help me out a little ?

where exactly did you need to add the resistor? did you have to solder it on? and how does this wire up to your switch ?

Thanks for the great info

4. OP
    OP
    buttnaked

buttnaked Member

Happy to help buddy,

You need to tell me what system you have, how many zone and is zone doubling enable.

What is the reason you need a manual override for the alarm?

5. quach128

quach128 Member

thanks for responding !

I have a Hills R8 with a Commnav which I installed myself, zone doubling is not enabled.

My goal was to hook this up to my Gogogate2 and have it connected to the IFTTT channel to trigger when I leave/arrive home. Thus having the alarm arm/disarm upon leaving / returning.

Having more of a think about this now it may be more trouble then its worth, since there is no way of telling my gogogate 2 whether the alarm is on or off, the only way would be to open up my xconnect app and check the status there. This automation will probably annoy me more then help, i want to set-forget it.

Anyhow, the commnav does allow for remote access arm/disarm but the app hasnt been updated since 2013 and the xconnect app doesnt send notifications either. :(

Ive now discovered through another forum : http://www.austech.info/showthread.php/70970-DAS-Hills-Comnav/page2

That the xconnect app is superseeded by a new 'ultraconnect' app which actually supports notifications and Geo-fencing using your phones GPS for arm/disarm function! - Exactly what im trying to do. Now just gotta wait for Hills to release the firmware update for my commnav card.

6. OP
    OP
    buttnaked

buttnaked Member

I think you want to do what I'm currently doing, but using different technology.

I'm using off the shelf home automation based on the z-wave network.

Basically I have a binary sensor(on/off) to detect if the alarm is on or off.
    I also have a wall plug that can be remotely turn off and on, connected via a relay to the alam key swith. This give me the functionality to turn off or on the alarm.

This is my typical situaton.

1) On leaving the house, Turn alarm ON manually. The system will wait 10 minutes and check to make sure all locks and the garage door is close. if not, close it. This is kind of a failsafe method to make sure all my door are locked.

2) On entering the house. Enter my pin code on my keyless door lock. This will then tell my automation controller that I'm home. The controller will then check to see if the alarm is off or on. If it's on then activate the wall plug for 2 seconds, which will turn off the alarm.

Of course this can be done with geo-location, howerver I don't quite trust the location sensing at the moment.

look like your gogogate2 has the ability to add on a wire gate sensor. You may be able use this to check if the alarm in on or off.

do you know the installer access code. If not you may also have to reset the system to standard and reprogam the system. Not hard, but just got to learn the code.

Let me know if you want to proceed furter and I can try and dig up my notes.

Perhaps test the gogogate2 to see if it's going to do what you want to accomplish.

7. quach128

quach128 Member

Hi,

I know its been a long time! but ive decked my entire house with Z-wave all controlled with Home Assistant. Now i actually sorta understand what youve done here, but need some guidance on the Hills Alarm side of things.

Sorry i hope youre still around ??

8. OP
    OP
    buttnaked

buttnaked Member

Hi Chris.

What would you like to know? It's been a while so I need to refresh my memory.

9. quach128

quach128 Member

Thanks for getting back so quick ! :)

Basically I want to do what you did with your Hills R8 system with the Z-wave binary sensor and the Switch to turn on/off. If you could guide me as in how did you actually make it work ?

Im not sure how the binary sensor would connect to the R8 panel, and how the zwave switch would actually trigger an turn on/off action. I read somewhere you can create an on/off switch by using the pins of a PIR sensor then program it to be a toggle switch ? but im not sure how to do this.

I have the installer password for my hills R8, so programming it wont be an issue.

What switches did you buy ?

for the binary sensor, Im looking at : http://www.smarthome.com.au/fibaro-z-wave-universal-binary-sensor.html

im not sure what you used for the switch ?? is it just a wallplug switch ?

10. OP
    OP
    buttnaked

buttnaked Member

Hi Chris,

I used this

http://www.smarthome.com.au/fibaro-z-wave-door-window-sensor.html --> I used this to tell me the state of the alarm. ie armed or disarmed.

To control the alarm, you need a z-wave power point that can turn off and on. You need also need a relay, something like this

https://www.altronics.com.au/p/s4312-10a-24vdc-dpdt-cradle-relay/

DO NOT wire the z-wave power point directly to the alarm, else you will blow it up. You need the relay to act as a on/off switch for the alarm

something like this.. z-wave power point <---> relay <--> alarm.

I'm in the middle of reno and can't get access to the alarm to let you know.. reminde me in the next 3 weeks if I have not gotten back to you.

in the meantime if you have any issue, let me know. of don't understand the concepts.

11. quach128

quach128 Member

just having a think about this more ... I may be able to get away with not purchasing any binary sensor or relays.

My gogogate2 is already integrated into my Home Assistant and actually has input for binary sensor and input for triggering a relay. It was designed for opening garage doors, but I think I can use it as a 'push button' to trigger the on/off alarm.

If I run a cat5 cable from the gogogate2 to the R8 panel, I should be able to wire them directly into the panels on/off switch and sensor ...

this is the part im clueless about, where do I wire the Sensor and Switch on the R8 panel ?

really appreciate your help with this, and I hope your home Renos go well :)