1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Hold On, This Console Generation Will Be Long

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Nov 28, 2008.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

[​IMG]

We're a few years into this generation. We're getting increasingly comfortable with the hardware. While we're not ready to move on, we still wonder: How much longer will it last?

Full Interview: http://www.edge-online.com/features/interview-microsofts-chris-lewis

2. power

power Member

consoles always live past their used by date, just look at the PS2...

Microsoft bought the 360 to market aggressively and long before Sony were ready, this strategy didn't work for Sega a few years back, but then Sega weren't as big as Sony so they got out-marketed, MS really were the only one's to challenge Sony and it's worked.

i must say upgraded sku's is also brilliant.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  3. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I'm sure xbox 360 will be around like the PS2, but the way they are talking they'll end up pushing xbox 360's longer before a new console is made. Although i'm aware of Microsofts strategy in beating sony to the market, they did say previously that they "would do it again".....by that interview they see this console generation as a bit longer, maybe sony are going to take their time as well.

4. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

I really hope sony do take there time and release a gaming console that can do hi def and not just some glorified bluray player and some complex number cruncher.

The ps3 so far has dissapointed me.

5. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I think it has disappointed sony, in regards to profit. They've said no price cuts for this Christmas in aid of profitability and no price cuts for at least the first and second quarter of 2009.

I think parents have an easy choice when/if buying a console for the kids..$299 arcade or $699/679 PS3.

6. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

They're completely right with this. The experience is vastly different this time, as almost everything is upgradeable.

The functionality of a console isn't just limited to the games now, and the infrastructure around them (Live, PSN, marketplaces) is far more expensive for Sony/MS/Nintendo - and consumers have a lot more money invested too.

If you release a PS4 or Xbox 360, you've got the whole issue of how you migrate things like DLC between consoles. People don't mind buying old games once, but they won't want to re-buy them on the next console all over again.

The move to HD for consoles was long overdue, and that's driven a lot of Xbox/PS2 updgraders into the current-gen machines. The next jump isn't so clear - yes, you'll have improved graphics, but the increment is marginal compared to the move from SD into HD. Not to mention the massive escalation in development costs to deliver even slicker HD. We're already seeing a consolidation of development studios into the larger publishers (Sony, MS, EA, Activision) as the costs of development kill of smaller publishers and devs without major backing.

On the lifespan of the 360...

http://venturebeat.com/2008/11/16/m...lks-up-new-xbox-experience-as-social-network/

Sony have mentioned a 10 year cycle for the PS3, so the current gen will be around for a while yet.

7. claf-43

claf-43 Member

What do you base that on?

Why not mention the fact that the Wii is firmly out infront of both its competitors, (not sure if thats combined too)

Last time I checked the Wii ain't HD.
    The Wii is a console.

The Wii can't be made quick enough, which firmly suggests the opposite. Most people don't give 2 shits about HD. Just cause we sit here or on gaming forums don't think thats the norm. The vast majority clearly don't think HD is the be all and end all.

And migrating DLC is pretty easy.... the 360 can do it already anyway.

I'd say the Wii owners would also be affected by that as well, arguably more so then the PS3 and 360 owners due to the vast libary of current and possible Virtual Console games.

If I remember correctly, I could download content from XBOX games on the 360 as it is without any issue.

8. THeX

THeX Member

I'm hoping they keep fighting this gen out for sometime to come. I was disappointed the original Xbox had such a short lifespan. Really I was hoping it would stick around and take on the PS2 in the "budget" category. Look how well the PS2 is still doing.

I've own both the 360 and PS3 and i really do hope the continued investment on both platforms from Sony and Microsoft will see this battle go out for quite a while yet!

9. power

power Member

Bring back SEGA!

10. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

I hope it does stick around for 10 years. The thing that has me slightly concerned is the amount of DLC that I've purchased. Well over $1000 worth and would like to carry that over to the next generation.

11. claf-43

claf-43 Member

is that every XBLA game?

or just pics/themes and shit?

12. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

You'd be surprised how much you can spend. I know i'm reaching at least the $300 mark in Rock Band songs alone, but those songs have given me more value than 4 or 5 full retail games I own, so it evens out.

13. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

The wii is a different genre, you cant really compare a kids console to a mature audience console.

Ask most users here who bought a wii and ask them the last time they played it.

14. power

power Member

yeah, total fad console - bought by the same people who bought twister.

either way i don't care how long the gen lasts, PC has already surpassed it.... again.

15. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

I didn't mention the Wii because it wasn't relevant to my point - the MS quote of outlasting the PS3.

The Wii is killing everything in sales - when I last checked it was due to outsell the PS3 and 360 combined in the very near future, if it hasn't already.

Both MS and Sony both know they're not really fighting a head to head battle with Nintendo - that horse has long bolted. For Sony and MS, a move to HD was long overdue - they needed something to compel users to move from the old systems to the new ones. Nintendo took a different track entirely, and changed the experience and expanded the target market. Sony and MS have continued along the 'traditional' games market, and targeted their hardware as such.

What MS and Sony are doing is fighting over what's left of the 'old' market, and working on stealing a large chunk of the PC gaming fraternity. They're offering a lot of games that would have been PC-only last generation on consoles these days, and also adressing the arguments that used to be a large differentiator between the PS2/Xbox and PC gamers last gen. Until now, console games were only in SD, and offered little if any online multiplayer. Now, those two issues are gone.

The big push of both Sony and MS this gen was HD and online, and it's what compelled a lot of 'traditional' gamers to upgrade (pigeonholing gamers always misses the mark, but you get what i'm trying to say), and PC gamers to convert - and that's why I explicitly said that the move to HD compelled a lot of Xbox and PS2 owners to upgrade, and didn't mention the Wii.

But no, the Wii is not driven by a desire for HD gaming - but the 360 and PS3 are. Not completely, but it's a large factor.

16. claf-43

claf-43 Member

what a complete load of crap on so many levels, if you got any other fanboy comments go post them somewhere else.

The Wii is a console likewise the 360 and the PS3, if you can't get that through your head you got issues.

If you believe it's a different genre you'd believe anything Sony and MS shit out. They are in direct competition with Nintendo whether they wanna admit it or not. Simply saying that the Wii has its own niche market is simply a excuse for their consoles failing in comparison.

And the whole line of mature audience.... that's laughable. If anything the Wii appeals to people of a lot older age then the 360 and PS3 ever will.

The only immature one is yourself.

hilarious

Ok thats fair enough, I noticed the literally hundreds of dlc for that game, staggered me.

Any idea on what it would cost (points or $) to get the entire DLC for that game?

I know Sony copped serious flak when it was rumoured that GT5 would require people to purchase cars rather then simply unlock them.... it seems that game is getting away with it though.

Fair point, but what is the take up of HDTV's worldwide or in Australia?

I'd imagine that number is still way out numbered in comparison. And will probably be so by the end of this console generation anyway too.

I think affordability still has a huge influence on console sales, hence why the PS2 (and Wii) is still going well, and probably is selling alright in comparison. I think the cost would far outweigh the simple 'HD' reason.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2008
  17. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

Right now you'd be pushing about $800 for every single song in the DLC section which is about 350 or so now.

18. MooGliSH

MooGliSH Member

I bought a wii about 3 years ago, and i'd be suprised if it's had more than 20 hours use. 10 of each of those hours would have been Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart. Even my girlfriend only played Super Metroid on it.

The wii is a crock of shit; yes it sells, to the same people who think having the wrong aspect ratio on the screen is great because "I paid 5 grand for a widescreen tv, i'm going to use the whole screen to get my moneys worth!"

It pushes units, but it does so to the general public, not gamers. Nintendo should have just called the whole thing "Virtual Console"

PS: I love NES/SNES/GB/NDS, don't get me wrong. But Nintendo haven't made a decent system since the Super Nintendo.

Motion Controls URGHHHHHHHHHHH :upset:

19. KappA

KappA Member

Age and maturity is not a factor when it comes to the Wii. IMO its simply the casual market pushing sales. These people who don't care much for a strong online community, dlc, next gen graphics, bd player, etc.

20. claf-43

claf-43 Member

far out, thats rediculous

what is the included number of songs then? does it feel like they have deliberately removed content that should be included?

I think your forgetting how big a fanbase, particularly in Japan, Nintendo and especially its first party titles have.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2008