Holiday Contest from Micron!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Agg, Dec 23, 2015.

1. 426 Hemi

426 Hemi Member

A gaming chair that incorporates a bar fridge and a toliet!

2. scottymyth

scottymyth Member

For me I have broken my Diablo 3 addiction (although season ends soon and a new one begins!). I really need a new computer desk and an SSD to boost my aging system! I pulled out FSX the other day so hope to do some old skool flying. I also need to clean out some of those dust bunnies that have taken home in all the heatsinks. Merry Xmas all!

3. dohzer

dohzer Member

Hopefully I get in the water for some spearfishing, and have time to sink into designing a discrete radio receiver front-end.

4. aXLe

aXLe Member

Hoping to get some work done on my replica Apple 1 :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the sockets are installed, and some of the original 1970's resistors :D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  5. Azz-AmoebA

Azz-AmoebA Member

Was hoping for a HTC Vive to go with my new rig, got a kitten instead cause it got delayed.

[​IMG]

6. SkItZo666

SkItZo666 Member

As I'm in IT, I don't get holidays so I'll be working, however, as most of our clients are away, it will be pretty quiet so i'll be sitting around like this:
    [​IMG]

Knowing my luck my managers will notice I'm working in a dark dungeon and tell me its bad for my eye sight or that light doesn't burn. Of course I'll have to pretend like I have never even heard of a lightbulb and they have given me the best idea ever:
    [​IMG]

But, during my busy schedule, I'm sure I'll make time to sculpt my guns:
    [​IMG]

When I'm not doing any of the above, I will be watching this thread like this:
    [​IMG]
    With my fingers crossed hoping to win so that my Christmas will be extra merry

7. Nedstark

Nedstark Member

Hoping to get into Arduino and some projects after doing a great programming unit at uni!! Have ordered a starter kit and hoping to build some snazzy devices. :)

8. danyell

danyell Member

I'm looking forward to getting the wheel going on my htpc for some on-couch, under-aircon relaxment in Grid and the likes, driving games that NEVER felt right even with an Xbox wireless controller.

For extra fun I will have my little bloke sitting on my lap, he has just turned 1 and despite popular opinion from the anti-screens-for-kids sticklers, he will doubtless be holding the wheel and driving us into walls with this kind of enthusiasm:

Merry Christmas!

9. nEBUz

nEBUz Member

Traditional new year's day supreme commander marathon :)

10. KajiFox

KajiFox Member

I'm putting the parts together to introduce my young cousin to building PCs. I have an Antec Sonata, a nice old Earthpower PSU and some spare 1tb hard discs (thanks Simo!), a C2D mainboard and CPU, some spare cooling gear and a now-basic (GTX260) graphics card... But I'm going to do a sneaky upgrade on my PC and dump in the old parts to get him up to SandyBridge.

He's a keen gamer (and seriously into Minecraft, but that's more a religion isn't it?) and just got picked as the ICT leader for his school-- So I think a familiarity with hardware should give him a great little edge. Just updating the drivers on his laptop the other day I could see how keen he was to get started.

I will infect him.

ONE OF US.

ONE OF US.

11. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I well after a complete HDD failure on not one but 2 PC's I am hoping for a new SSD. However my family are complete noobs when it comes to computer gear so I will be lucky to get a "my first laptop".

FML!

12. joecool55

joecool55 Member

In the new year, some workmates and i will be heading overseas to help some less well off people in Cambodia...

http://www.tabitha.org.au/cms/programs/house-building.html

House Building

Tabitha Foundation Australia encourages volunteer house-building teams to travel to Cambodia to build houses for homeless Cambodians.

Most families participating in the Family Development Program are able to eventually save enough money to buy land and the materials to build a house. However, some very poor families cannot save the complete AUD1700 for a house; reasons include head of the family being a widow, single mother or landmine victim, or the family lives in a very poor area. For such families, Tabitha Cambodia brings international, volunteer building teams to Cambodia to supply the additional money and work under the direction of Khmer builders to construct simple houses.

Some of the ongoing benefits to be gained by house building as opposed to just sending money are:

During the Pol Pot era, Khmer people were made to feel they were of no value –some Khmers still feel they are worthless. When volunteers come from overseas it helps them start believe in their own value.

Builders can combine fund-raising with the follow up hands-on building project. This gives a sense of how their funds are directly targeted to those in need.

Participants return home inspired by their experience of actively making a difference in another family’s life and continue to participate in further Tabitha activities and fundraising.

The house-building program commenced in 1996, with students from the international schools in Singapore and Cambodia building two houses. The program has since expanded to include students, teachers, parents, indivi duals and corporate groups. Currently, there are, on average, six teams of volunteers per month coming from Cambodia, Singapore, Taiwan, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Australia, United States of America, United Kingdom and Canada to build houses.

Building teams are often formed within schools, companies, church groups or other organisations, groups of friends, etc. Teams pay their own costs and must contribute AUD1700 per house for materials. Building trips are coordinated with Tabitha Cambodia.

In the 2012-13 financial year, 31 Australian house-building teams that visited Cambodia built a total of 423 houses to accommodate approximately 3,384 Cambodians.

Benefits of Volunteer House Building
    To provide an in depth and meaningful experience for foreigners visiting Cambodia. The team members will experience not only the tourist attractions but will come to understand and befriend Cambodians – both the poorest and the middle class.
    To educate volunteers about poverty and the issues involved it is an education in the causes of poverty, the results of poverty and the solutions to poverty.
    To become partners with Tabitha-Cambodia in our outreach team members, upon returning home, can become volunteer sales people as well as fund raisers for various projects.
    To give Cambodians an opportunity to teach foreigners the skills of house building - rather than being taught by the foreigners – develops a deep sense of pride.
    The families chosen represent the very poorest in their communities as well as being role models for their courage and faith in their own ability to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds.

Hopefully many more people will be doing good deeds for those who may need them!

13. LinX

LinX Member

Digital Nomad .. I go where my whimsy takes me.
    I got a Raspberry Pi for Christmas. How geeky.. I'll be teaching my son some more Linux. Followed by doing some basic electronics and programming 101. We even get the dog involved.. I'll be attempting to make a game/feeder for him. I need an SSD!

14. uridium

uridium Member

Retroleum..

Get a 3rd pdp-11 up and running by recapping and re-burning the proms.

pdp-11/53+ with RSX-11M and BQTWWW for the web server.

pdp-11/83 with 2.11BSD and RSTS-E (dual boot).

3rd will be either the 11/23Plus or the 11/03 that is awaiting restoration.

15. DARREN

DARREN Member

Play lots of multiplayer games with my mates online.
    Watch new Star Wars (plus perhaps some kind of movie marathon)

Build several pcs out of old parts for my kids schooling next year.
    Help my nephew build his first pc with parts he earnt from helping at his parents business
    Visit OCAU and reply to some interesting threads like this one!

*Bacteria. The only culture some people have. :rolleyes:
    *Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One looks to the other and said Dam. :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  16. AERO

AERO Member

Ill be working heaps, spending time with our 6 month old boy making xmas special for our family. Hopefully installing a led bar into my boat, moybe moving into a new house.

Fishing, loading xmas carols into the car for our melb trip. Play some games in my spare time. Might try and get a dirt bike ride in.

Most importantly look at ocau forums every couple of hours :)

17. wateva76

wateva76 Member

There's a band called 1023MB. They haven't had any gigs yet...

Jokes aside, I'm hoping to get either Series 7 of Big Bang Theory, some games for my Xbox One, some books to fill the gaps in my Raymond E Feist or Terry Pratchett collections, or some money that I can put towards a Z170 rebuild of my Z97 parts.

18. Louis Cyphre

Louis Cyphre Member

I just want to know the Lotto results for the Christmas Superdraw so I can
    spend my life chillaxing instead of dealing with Bell-Ends on the phone.

Merry Christmas to all non bell pieces!

19. MacroP

MacroP Member

I guess my geeky thing in the next couple of weeks (new job starts 8 Jan) is to try add sort out my retic buy adding extra stations/channels and doing it the geek way. Currently have a 6 channel controller (bad choice) - 3 solenoids for the front and 3 for the rear of the house. I'm trying to devise a plan so I can get 5 channels for the rear without changing the main controller (and wiring) as that would be too easy and no challenge. The main controller is miles away from the rear solenoid block anyway and it's too hot to run new wiring. I've added two new solenoids at the rear of the house and can't run them in parallel (with the existing stations) as I lose too much water pressure so I need five separate channels for the rear garden and lawn.

So far my (cunning) plan is to run just one channel from the retic controller and use this single 24V AC channel to power up an Arduino (using a small SMPS) and relay shield. Then program the Arduino (relays) to run the 5 solenoids in a sequence over a set time. At this stage it looks like if I set the main controller to run the rear station for 75 minutes, I can then set the Arduino to run a sequence of 5 stations with each station @ 15 minutes for example. When the main controller station is finished it will cut power to everything - waiting for the next watering round to boot up (the Arduino) and restart the sequence.

Of course all of this will be wired and setup crudely as I'll have to test it over the year and then possibly tidy it all up next Christmas :p

20. pugsley

pugsley Member

I'm hoping to get some time to design and build a cold smoker attachment with the old man. Got him a Hark upright smoker for his birthday last year and he has been being wanting to do some cold smoking for a little while.