Home Brewing To Cost Save

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by wrek3000, Nov 10, 2012.

1. wrek3000

wrek3000 Member

Guys havent home brewed for around 10 yrs but trying to work out if it will save me much these days compared to buying.What would it cost these days being that im buying 4 longnecks a day to enjoy after work to brweing at home drinking the same amount.And how long a brew would last drinking the same amount each day then having to brew again.BTW i used to buy plastic bottles but quite happy to run them in my glass ones.
    Old brew was black rock pilsner.
    Cheers

2. oculi

oculi Member

No offence intended as I was an alco for a period of time but have you considered cutting down on our drinking? 4 longnecks a night is a bit keen.

On to your actual question, I've heard that brewing your own ends up costing about half as much as buying it, but this doesn't take dud batches etc into consideration.

you talking domestic or premium beer?

3. scon

scon Member

It can cost as little as $20 (basically a can of coopers extract and a kilo of sugar) to about $60 (buying small batches of milled grain, hops and yeast) per 20L batch. That's 27 or so longnecks.

None of the above includes setup costs of course, which can vary from about $50 to thousands.

4. aXis

aXis Member

Depends. At the bottom end, you can get emu export for as low as $1/can = $3 per litre. Home brew basic coopers kits are $12 kit + $5 brew enhancer = $17 for 23L, so $0.74 per litre. Fair bit cheaper.

You can of course get much better kits or go to all grain = $5/kg for grain x 4kg, $10 hops, $5 yeast and a few bucks for gas/electricity = $37 for 20L, so $1.85 per litre. Premium beer is say $70 per carton so $8.75 per litre. Premium home brew then comes in ahead of cheap commercial beer, and beats the pants off premium commercial beer.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  5. J-C90

J-C90 Member

I started off thinking it would save me money, now I'm a little confused as to if it is or not! :confused:

The ingredients for the beer I make is cheap, 25kg bag of grain ~$45-$50. Hops can be had for <$50 per kg. Liquid yeast purchased once(<$15) then recultured for many brews. Depending on the beer it can cost less than $1 per liter.

But the equipment I use to brew with probably cost in excess of $1500!

Looking at it that way it seems expensive. But after getting into brewing my beer tastes improved. So now when I buy commerical beer, I'm buying stuff thats upwards of $4-5 per 330ml bottle. This is also the styles of beer that I'm aiming to brew. So that is where the pricing comparison should be.

So excluding the equipment cost, at ~$1 per liter compared to commercial costs of say $10-$15+ per liter it starts to look better. The equipment costs will be re-couped over time.

6. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

'course other non-trivial costs are refridgeration and gas (assuming all-grain for the latter). I mean a nasa burner and high pressure reg will go through a 9kg gas bottle in like 10 hours of running. so you're talking like a fifth of a gas bottle per brew, at what, $30 a refill?

I'm with J-C90 on the equipment thing, too... my brewing'd be a lot less expensive if I werent such an equipment whore. I have ten corny kegs for a start, plus all manner of draught related fittings and hoses. The all-grain system I'm in the process of building (all the allgrain I've done to date has been on borrowed equipment) is getting pretty pricey too, mostly because of a certain obsession with stainless steel bling :p. Domonsura (beerbelly.com.au) is a baaaad man :p

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  7. icewind

icewind Member

Just like anything; overclocking/computers/customising there are many different levels of commitment/reward and homebrewing is no different.

Beginners can start off with extract brewing with dextrose and dry malt extract for <$20. That will do you approx. 24 litres = EDIT OOPS I MEANT 35 TALLIES not stubbies ;). Substitute the DME for some golden syrup its a couple of bucks cheaper again. As has been said before, HB comes in ahead even against cheaper beers but its at the highend where it destroys. Plus, its just so darn fun to make and drink.

You could just start off with something like a coopers home brew kit:
    30L Fermenter, stirrer, coopers lager with yeast, hydrometer, thermometer strip, 1kg brew enhancer, packet of carbonation drops and 30 pet bottles (you'll want to go glass bottles eventually though). About $85

After the initial brew, using a Coopers draught and 1kg Brew enhancer or dextrose and golden syrup, will cost you approx $16-18. Once youve done that for a while, you can consider using a fermenter fridge. (just a spare fridge lying around, then purchase an aquarium temp controller that you can plug your fridge into and control fermentation temps.)

just do it. :p

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think you also should do it because you have some sort of interest in it, not just for the money savings.

9. icewind

icewind Member

well yeh. Though I never really knew how much into it I would get considering the wife bought the original coopers kit as an anniversary present last year.

10. ravencs

ravencs Member

Depends how you go.
    I make 60L at a time and it costs me 40~80 cents per liter depending on what I'm making.
    Then again, equipment sent me back thousands...

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What the!?? Thousands?? You must have a pretty serious set up going there.

12. koolkidd

koolkidd Member

At the moment we are 2 weeks into brewing/kegging and for roughly $120 we have around 450 schooners worth of beer. still starting out so haven't even thought about buying in bulk yet, but id say it's a great way to save money if you drink regularly.

however consumption has gone through the roof :S