I inherited an old server from work. A dual cpu Xeon behemoth. It was more than powerful enough for a home server, but 2 problems: No SATA and odd sized drive rails. The no SATA thing was easy enough to fix, I bought an SiI3114 PCI SATA card from ebay and all was good. Then I got greedy when I saw Oli was selling a 12 port PCI-X 3ware SATA card and snapped it up. (Thanks Oli!) The case, as I said, was a big 'un, even has heavy lift stickers on it. The existing drive mountings are designed for removable scsi drives, but are odd widths, and I couldn't find a caddy that was wide enough for it. And the DVD drive was just a fraction to narrow to screw in. And this is where the thinking began. I wanted to expand my storage capacity, hence the acquisition of the 12 port SATA card. But now I needed to mount the drives right. The drives that were in there are mounted on sheet steel (an old case side panel) that I butchered to make two sides to hold the drives in. I wanted space for 10 drives (that was all the height in the case would allow for), a DVD drive and on the SATA card, there were pins for individual HDD status lights. Since I like flashy light things, I decided to make use of that little feature. I also wanted to keep the drives cool. So a couple of fans were also going to feature into the design. Slow moving, 120mm fans with pretty lights, from Ebay. The plans. One side of the rack. Both sides, plus some old drives to check that stuff lined up. The metal work is completed. Top view, down the guts of the rack. The little mounts for the drive LEDs. I cannot emphasise how much this flux pen has helped with soldering the wires to the LEDs and the resistors and the pin contacts and the ....... well, everything. It doesn't corrode like some acid fluxes will. It is just plain excellent. Makes the solder flow oh so nicely, and means I don't burn my fingers coz the wire gets too hot to hold and the LEDs don't melt. I'll admit, I'm not a expert solderer, but this just makes it so much easier. My little companion. Ella-Jane. She was very well behaved while Daddy was soldering ALL BLOODY DAY! LEDs all wired up and installed. I have a box of cat 6 in the garage and thought why not use that for the LED wiring. 12 lights, nice solid core wire, neatly tied up in bundles. Works like a charm and keeps the potentially very messy wiring, nice and tidy. All done. now just to install it. Installing took me a while longer than I thought. I wasn't sure I'd measured right, and then removing the old drive bays almost undid the whole project as I didn't realise the thing was riveted in so well, and formed part of the case structure. Plus, the new rack didn't just slide in as I thought it would. No, it required a little jiggling and prayer. I almost hit another snag at the point where I had it in place and ready to attach it. There was no space behind the rack to slide drives in and out. Ooops. There goes my idea of riveting it into place. Instead, I drilled 4 new holes and screwed it in place instead. That was it is easily removable when need be. Not that that will need to happen very often. Once the full complement of drives is in, they will stay put for a long time (hopefully). As with anything that I build, it always takes longer (much longer) than I anticipate. But I think the result was worth the effort. It works, I think it looks good for a home done job and it suits my needs. It definitely pays to measure twice before cutting or drilling. By the third day, I was definitely tired and started making little mistakes. However, all's well that ends well. The material I used to make it was bought from Bunnings. 25x12x1.6 aluminium angle bar for the rails and 25x1.0 for the supports and side beams. 1/8th rivets holds it all together. It did cost more than I thought, especially when I got home and realised I needed 1/3rd more aluminium that I originally thought. The LEDs and other electric goodies came from Jaycar. 3mm LEDs plus the little mounting holes. I was originally going to have the wiring in 2 halves so that the rack could be unplugged without having to unplug the wires from the card, but that was too much work in the end. I'm happy with the end result. It is way more stable and holds more than the bodgy job I did originally.