Home mail server choice and setup. Help me!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by digamma, Oct 7, 2017.

1. digamma

digamma Member

Having never done anything with email (except use it!), I'm out of my depth here.

What I want to do is have a home email server that will work with Optus, Hotmail/outlook, Gmail and my website email. I want something that will do the sending and receiving, but will also keep all of the sent and received email synced across all the computers on my home network.

What's got me wanting to do this is that I run a small business from home and currently use 3 different computers to check my business email (workshop, personal pc and a tablet. I'd like to add my phone in too. I've already got them set to leave the mail on the server so I get all the received/inbound stuff across the 3 machines, but not the sent/outbound replies and that's the problem. I'd also like it to be a solution that works out of the house as the tablet goes with me most places, but adding the phone means external access would be required. I've spent 1/2 an hour googling and all I ended up was confused.

2. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Honestly, for what it costs, you would be silly not to pay a hosting company for an email to do exactly what you want.

The time spent setting up, configuring, maintaining, backing up, dealing with downtime.... far out weights a 3rd party hosted solution

3. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I assume you've already registered a domain.

Use G-Suite, it's far easier and by far more reliable than hosting your on mail server and it only costs $5.00/month per email address - Based on years of experience with both solutions.

I use it for my business and honestly, it integrates so well between devices including Google Drive, Google calendar and Google maps with navigation that there's no way I could live without it.

4. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I used to run my own, and tbh I've found it way easier to just use g-suite. Am lucky that I'm grandfathered on the free plan though.

5. caspian

caspian Member

a pity they charge by the mailbox. I went to set a friend up on it recently and balked at that, between all of the family and mailboxes for some automated devices he would need about a dozen. it would be more attractive if they offered a flat cost service like other providers do.

6. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Just get MS Office 365 Hosted Exchange accounts and move your mail/MX records there - from ~$5.61 a month each for 50Gb box. https://products.office.com/en-au/exchange/compare-microsoft-exchange-online-plans
    Best for use with MS Outlook (Office 2010 or higher is required), as uses exchange protocols (RPC over HTTP) just like a local company Exchange server (no IMAP/POP3 shenanigans), including all the benefits sharing mailboxes, calendars, resource accounts and distribution lists as you see fit, etc between staff. Works perfectly with all mobile device email too, specifying Exchange account type, also you can simply use a webmail browser client - all sync's. i.e if marked read/deleted, etc on one - all the rest show that too, not just email history.

Alternatively you could do similar with Google GSuite Mail for $5/mth for a 30Gb box, but would be using IMAP protocol to sync mail clients which can get clumsy, this may suit if you're not using MS Outlook or only using webmail browsers. https://gsuite.google.com/intl/en_au/products/gmail/

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

@gmail.com addresses are still free (and include Drive and Docs, Hangouts, Keep, Calendar, Photos, and all the other stuff that's standard). There's a handful of domain registrars and hosting places that will allow you to redirect emails from your own domain to an @gmail.com account (and likewise, @gmail.com accounts will let you send as any address you specify). A bit of dicking around, but it's one way of getting many of the benefits of a commercial GMail account without paying.

The paid tier starts at US$5 per human per month for hosting your own domain, which extends on all the free stuff but includes ad-free everything, centralised admin accounts, and a full MDM (Mobile Device Manager) for Android and iOS phones. Works out to 21 Australian cents per day. Scale up and down as needed. Potentially a bit much for home users, but well worth it for small business. The business I work for uses this, and it's excellent.

Bump to $10 per human per month for infinite storage per person, team drive, and an enormous volume of compliance stuff mostly useful to large business.

Ditto for me. Migrated to a "10 accounts for free" G-Suite setup some time ago, and Google have continued to honour that despite removing the free service. The downside is there are new features being added to the commercial pay-for G-Suite that I'm not getting (e.g.: I don't get the MDM stuff unless I jump to the pay-for account, and once I do there's no going back).

GMail supports both IMAP and their own Exchange implementation called "G-Suite Sync". The latter allows any Microsoft Exchange client (i.e.: Outlook or any Microsoft phone) or anything supporting ActiveSync (almost any phone made in the last 10 years) to see GMail as if it was an Exchange server.

You can mix and match these as you please. You can have Outlook using G-Suite Sync, another client somewhere else using IMAP, the GMail app on Android/iPhone, and the Google GMail web client all accessing the same account from as many devices as you like. No restrictions there on how you access the service. Very, very flexible.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  8. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

What you want is Office 365 or Google G Suite, no doubt, as mentioned above.

We use G Suite and Google Apps Sync with Outlook 2016. I really don't use any features in Outlook 2016 so I haven't really noticed any issues. Personally starting to prefer the web client due to Outlook's delay with translations, but its all sync'ed and works good enough for us.

9. stevenx

stevenx Member

I use Gsuite for my primary company domain and a DIY-ish setup for most others - family domain email addresses, for friends, and so on.

Check out the free version of iRedMail if you want to DIY: http://www.iredmail.org/. I use the paid version and it's pretty good. The free version should work well enough, and do most of the anti-spam and anti-virus stuff. I run it in a VM on a Linux/KVM host.

The hands-on aspect of running a mail server can be fun if you're a massive nerd like me (I've been doing it for about 15 years, starting with FreeBSD and Postfix way back when) but it can be a giant PITA though. Paying $5 per mailbox per month for someone else to look after it is probably a better option, particularly if it comes with extras :)

10. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

11. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

One of my domains is grandfathered on the old 'free' plan, good days.

Still, considering the benefits, for $5:00 per address I think it's well worth it.

As a Linux user I just love the fact that G-Suite integrates so beautifully with Thunderbird and the Lightning plugin.

12. kogi

kogi Member

eh? All you need to do is to use imap?

13. h45e

h45e Member

I use my synology box only because it was there. I would go paid if I didn't have the synology