Home Mesh Wi-Fi, AC vs AX, AC2200 vs faster and considering going 10 Gbit

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Jlirv, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Jlirv

Jlirv Member

Hey team,

Short Short Story:
    Looking to buy an AC2200 Orbi kit for my apartment as it perfectly and adequately meets my needs currently and solves all my issues, thoughts on the product?

As an aside I'm considering going all out and investing in a faster AX products. Thoughts and opinions on either AX6000 or even AX11000? Is there a reasonable way to go about this without breaking the entire bank and their underwriter?

I have gift vouchers for JB Hi Fi so it won't be too much out of pocket.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  2. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

You're still going to be bottle necked with gigabit ethernet going to these access points and nearly any other access point. The only access point I'm aware of that even supports faster than GBe is a meraki, and it needs a bullshit expensive switch they also sell in pair, and is designed for highly dense wifi environments like university libraries etc.

After reading the tech briefs on WiFi 6 AKA WiFi-AX I rate it, but I think the world isn't ready. All ethernet is still GBe. WiFi 6 is all about solutions for the 60 WiFi devices per household problem. Low power IOT etc.

I think cabling data points near home office desk, TV cabinet, where you put your phone etc in CAT6 minimum is a no brainer if the runs are less than 37 meters (you read varying things about the maximum length for 10GBe but its about there). And then cabling in the roof to put the AP/AP's in the prime spot in the centre of the appartment is a good idea. Mesh networks I do not rate when you have the possibility of ethernet.

Jlirv likes this.
  3. Copie

Copie Member

UniFi all the way, fuck those all in ones

Azrael, Pugs and miguelala like this.
  4. Pugs

Pugs Member

do you rent or own??

if you rent just get the orbi system..

If you own... get quotes... make sure they all do a walk through so they know what they are quoting for...