[HOME NETWORKING] Just wanna ask a few questions before the new house is built...

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by duncangel, May 28, 2006.

1. duncangel

duncangel Member

hey guys,

we will be building a new house soon so i was wondering if any of you could give me a few answers.

1. currently i have optus cable and a router which splits to 3 computers. i may be building a new house in a year or so but need to know where to put the cable plugs in the walls. i'm not sure what you call these, are the ethernet ports??

2. anyway, i have router which has 4 connections. i was wondering are there bigger routers (i.e. so i can plug more cables into) and will speed decrease by doing so? i won't be using them all at once, but just want them all connected if they need to be.

3. and that brings me to my next question. in the future, i probably will be getting a gaming console that requires cable connection. does this mean i should leave a connector thingy where my TV should be?

4. and with HDTV and DVD recorders and digital pay TV, will they ever need internet cable?

5. and when i install the optusnet cable, should i get it installed while the house is being built (for easy access), can you do that? or can they go through walls afterwards?

i just want to work this out first, because i'm not sure how those things work.

thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  2. Lord Davis

Lord Davis Member

I think wireless is ur best option

3. Deckham

Deckham Member

Put them wherever you will need connecton ;)
    Yes there are bigger ones, no it won't slow things down.
    Yes, it does.
    Yes.
    It can be done aftwerwards, but far easier before hand - and cheaper too, I'd say. Also, a lot more configurable.
    You're welcome.

4. RILEYP

RILEYP Member

You asked so many questions your gonna scare people away .......
    Number your questions please!
    bigger routers are called routers and they come in many sizes 8 port 16 port 24 port etc.
    Although all you would need is a 'switch'
    A computer point can be called an ethernet port ...
    But I would advise you to ask for cat6 points rather than an ethernet ports just incase your cabler has a old drum of cat5 lying around.....
    These points are wired (1 seperate wire from each point back to a central point where your router/switch will be installed. You may want to install a patch panel at this location and your cable modem as well.
    No speed decrease is created whatsoever unless your using more than 1 machine at once, at which point the speed to each point will be reduced to first in best dressed...which is what you have now...
    Yes put a point where your tv is if not for games then htpc... It will then be on your home network and you could take remote control of it if you chose...

my head hurts and Im tired now
    edit :nothing beats a hardwired internet connection wireless is a crap option.

cheers
    :)

5. OP
    OP
    duncangel

duncangel Member

i've had friends in the past with wireless connections not working as well because of walls in the house

and also, how do HDTV and TV stuff require internet connection?

6. ShadowGeoff

ShadowGeoff Member

With HDTV you have two options,

1. A set top box or TV with built in HD tuner. These options have less flexibility and range of things they can do, but they are very simple.

2. A HTPC (Home Theatre PC). One of these can do your HDTV tuning but can ALSO be used to play games, surf the internet (on your TV), record HDTV programs for playback later, send programs around your network, become your DVD player, CD player, MP3 Player etc... They are very customizable. You can even get them pre-built if you are not up to doing it yourself. A HTPC is different from a normal PC in that it is often in a case that looks like a piece of home theatre equipment and has components that make as little noise as possible. Most of them also use a different operating system called Windows Media Centre Edition.

Anyway, that would work best with a network connection.

7. TheNek

TheNek Member

1. ethernet ports

2. You need to connect your router to a switch. It will not decrease speed performance. you need one port on your switch for every ethernet port in your wall.

3. yes definitly have one connection next to the TV. Also have atleast one connectoin in any room that will ever possible have a computer in it. i.e. all bedrooms and studys. All these will be wired back to a central place where they will all be plugged in to the switch. its cheaper and easier to do it now.

4. Yes. they will possibly need ports. it might even be worth puttin in two ports, one for a phone system and one for data. the beauty of cat5 is its very versatile cable.

5. Your electrician should be able to put a cable in place to connect too. This will go from outside where you telstra box is to the room/area where all points are being terminated.

NB cat6 cable is nice but cost more and not really needed as there is not specifications taht need it. wireless will likely take over before its fully utilised. Use cat 5e cable.

8. WindMinstrel

WindMinstrel Member

CONDUIT CONDUIT CONDUIT.

Run nice thing ones everywhere you can imagine. Set a spot in your house as the "internet cubby", be it a cupboard, a nook, whatever. Have everything run to that. Label it all.

9. OP
    OP
    duncangel

duncangel Member

hey yeah...that's exactly what i had in mind. just a lil cupboard to store everything.

i was wondering if anybody could give me info about wireless networking and its ability to work?

1. i've heard about wireless connections failing because of materials in walls or something. would this happen?

2. it's going to be a single-storey home. maximum distance will be about 30m. does signal get weaker as it is further?

3. do wireless routers support 'as many' connections as possible?

4. generally, if i could do wireless/wired router, which one should i do? is wireless kicking in to be more popular now?

5. any major advantages/disadvantages in either? bearing in mind, my main concern is stay with the updated technology (not so much on cost).

thanks in advance again :thumbup:

10. Devilsmurf

Devilsmurf (Banned or Deleted)

Considering you are building in a year's time, wait till you are ready to talk to an electrician who is also certifed/experienced to do data cabling.

If cost isn't a concern, run cat 6 to every room in the house, and go get a 12-16 port gigabit router. Keep a server in the cupboard to handle internet/media/x10 systems.

11. OP
    OP
    duncangel

duncangel Member

building in a year, but the formal contract will be finalised in the next week or so. so whatever i want, i must say for it to be in the contract as it is the FINAL contract.... :shock:

12. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Well if it were me, I'd be putting at least 2 x Cat6 in each room where you may want to use a computer, and probably 4 or more behind the TV (HTPC + PS/3 + Xbox + Xbox360) ... hmm maybe even more than 4. I only put 2 in at the TV and now they're both used - before my 360 arrives :mad:.

Get them all "terminated" (the other ends) either in a ventilated cupboard if you have one, or in a rack in the garage (which would be my preference). Make sure the installer labels all the points on both ends (just sequential numbers should be fine).

You can also get your phone connected to that same location so that you can patch your phone whereever you like; put your ADSL point or Optus/Telstra cable there too. I'd probably get at least 2 phone points connected up so that you can immediately have 2 phones or phone + ADSL.

Then you run your wireless access point from whichever network point is most central (best of both worlds). You will lose signal power as you move away. Twice as far away = roughly 1/4 the signal (depends on aerial shape and type you see).

You could start with your 4 port router and only get an extra switch once you need it - you can always "repatch" (move a cable from one point to another) if you want a network point to change rooms.

Doing cable installs at building time should be cheaper than afterwards, and cleaner.

13. Idryss

Idryss Member

Sounds like alot of extra cableing for your house can be done :)
    Like mentioned above Id avoid wireless connections (to slow and unreliable still unfortunately)

I'd put a connection in every room, one next to your TV and if you want a computer room, put about 4 in there (server, PC, friends etc acn use these).

Getting a decent switch will make a huge difference, depepending on what you are going to get. Id say for a house you wouldnt need more than a 16 port switch IF you are going to let your xbox 360 (or whyatever you have) connect up, plus your TV. That leaves alot of headroom for other devices.

14. RILEYP

RILEYP Member

hdtv....
    they dont but.....
    1 download a movie on your normal pc.
    2 open a remote connection to your htpc( using the fact your htpc is connected to your network)
    3 play movie on your htpc on your big screen!
    4 tv stuff....ps2 ....needs internet connection to play online games. :)

Oh and If you intend on having a pc and tv in the same room eg family room.
    Have some cables run between your computer and the tv.
    so you can use the a/v output on your pc to connect to your tv...
    I personnaly have 3 runs of rg6 with a/v connections fitted both ends
    ie left and right sound and video
    Its great..... download movie.....right click play on my tv.....turn pc monitor off .........sit on couch and watch....

Question:How many decent size offices use wireless?
    A:none....They dont because its unreliable and possibly unsafe?.....oh errr....crap!
    one of the problems is as soon as your out of windows and the wireless cards software realm.. you dont have a network connection....

15. nux

nux Member

Dont bother with wireless if you can avoid it. It may cost ~$500 to cable every room when you're building but its worth it. It wont add much to do every room rather than just one or two.

[Also] why are all your new threads done with a strange buzz word in capitals?..

16. blakeg

blakeg Member

as suggested we had all the rooms in the house + shed + attick+ car all to a massive walk in wardrobe.with a big switch panel with telling you where all the wires go best thing ever and if your building the house you would be MAD not to do it. even if you just run all the wires so you can put the plugs on later will make it so much easyer :thumbup: learned the hard way here we did one house after it was built :thumbdn: pain in the ass and while it costs more i suggest you run cat 6 for a bit of gigabit action :D

wow scrambled post but i cbf fixing it :tired:

17. OP
    OP
    duncangel

duncangel Member

what do you mean a switch panel?

i'm thinking more of a router/cable modem in the cupboard. all the cables attached the router/switch thing and goes into the wall.

then in every room, they were be those white switch things with 2 holes where you can plug smaller cables to connect to the computer wherever it is in the room.

is this how it works? i've just seen this is how schools have them.

18. nux

nux Member

I think he may mean a patch panel. Basically just a big row of ethernet ports which you can then say plug the ports going to Bedroom A, Bedroom B, TV Room and Study into your router.

19. OP
    OP
    duncangel

duncangel Member

ok. i think i get it now.

just a question, does anyone here connect internet to their fridge? :D

20. g@z

g@z Member

I'd suggest if you are going to run cable in a new house, run at least 2 cables to each point, and run them all back to a patch panel. Then you can make one an Ethernet point, and one a phone or something, or two phone points or two network points etc. Could also run coax for cable TV while you are at it.

Have a read of this, I think it's right up your alley.

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2005/10/18/how_to_homenet_pt1/

Regards,
    g@z.