1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Security Camera

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Swarm, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Swarm

Swarm Member

Mornin lads, apologies if this is in the wrong spot.

Basically im looking at purchasing a home surveillance kit and was wondering what systems any of you OCAU'ers have in place.

Im looking at kits from the EBay member CCTVEHOME
    http://shop.ebay.com.au/cctvehome/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Wondering if anyone has purchased some of these units before? Primarily how do they go for resolution and distinguishing potential wrong do'ers (in the day and night)

Also with this item, is it worth getting cameras in a mix like this or just that same set.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/H-264-8CH-1T..._Equipment&hash=item23083ee5b7#ht_4867wt_1137

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Budget is around $600 and ideally id like prefer to be able to remote view (web access) and motion detect / alert

2. Oosh

Oosh Member

How many cameras do you need/want?

Night-time performance is where the hi-quality stuff pays for itself, and without some illumination (regular or IR), you're highly-unlikely to get much on even one camera for that budget.

3. kizzav

kizzav Member

Or, to stay away from ebay (I hate ebay with a passion)....

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResults.asp?whichpage=1&pagesize=10&keywords=&CATID=13&SUBCATID=451&form=CAT

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.filereader?4c3d21920152ea542742c0a87e010652+EN/catalogs/CTG1000748

...something you'll know has a refund policy & warranty, unlike ebay.

We have a DVR & 3 cameras outside the house. No need for a screen, because dad then put a modulator on the video output from the DVR, which transmits the video signal as an RF signal throughout the house.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  4. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

what is your goal from having a CCTV system at home? What is it that you hope to achieve?

5. OP
    OP
    Swarm

Swarm Member

Probably need 3 - 4 cameras.

2 things, firstly the main reason is security (both visible deterrent and surveillance in case of the worst).

Secondly so i can check up on my dogs everynow and again ;)

We just moved into the place so im in "fix-her-up mode"

6. Scandrew

Scandrew Member

Any recommendations for IP Cameras?

Looking to set up a camera or two in my house. Motion detection, screenshot, email.

7. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

depending on your spend - Axis cameras. Easily the best "common" cameras I have seen. Obviously you can get better, with the $$$$$$$ price tag

Didn't see this earlier - I would go a bog basic system from Ebay then. Or even the "swan" systems they sell at DSE or Jaycar.

With house surveillance - at the front door I can understand, if you are a bit paranoid and want to see who is there before opening - but cameras elsewhere outside for a residential purpose is not really needed. Dummy ones maybe - but you have to remember that having something on camera

a) Didn't stop it from happening
    b) the chances of a conviction are stupidly slim
    c) The legal aspects of using surveillance cameras as evidence

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  8. Oosh

Oosh Member

Something like an AXIS 211 should meet your needs.

If you want to record footage some management software is nice. The AXIS one is free for a single channel, but you'll need to buy a license for 2 or more. If you run Linux ZoneMinder is free but check the camera compatibility.

A cheaper option for recording is to setup an FTP server on your PC or a NAS and you can have the camera upload data on to it.

9. driver

driver Member

I've purchased a few cheap cameras off ebay. Planning on the home CCTV install, but also for interest/testing in the meantime.

Rough specs of purchases so far...
    1. ~$9? IR CMOS Colour 380L
    2. ~$36? IR CCD Sharp 1/4 ~400L. Plastic dome-style, with a flat face surrounded in LED's.
    3. ~$40? CCD Sharp 1/4 "UFO" 420L
    4. ~$20? CCD Door peephole ~380L
    5. $65 CCD Sony 1/3 Full Body with /3.5-8mm auto-iris lens

Also...
    1. 4pt BT878 25FPS DVR Card ~$10?
    2. 16pt BT878 120FPS DVR Card ~$53
    3. 48 LED IR Floodlight ~$28
    4. 140 LED IR Floodlight ~$58

I've not installed any of the gear yet. If people are interested, I can do some test shots/reviews of them all side by side.

$9 Cam' IR is almost useless unless your right infront of it.

I like the Sharp UFO cam, since it's recessed in to the cieling, thus stealthing it more. I don't like the idea of cameras being visible from the front of my house. I doubt having them visble will stop problems, probably just get the neighbours you don't know thinking your running a drug house or something since that's what they saw on a TV show! :p Also, going by experience from work, a lot of teenagers will think the cameras are fake/don't work/or are just too pure dumb to know better, despite signage and quite visible domes everywhere!).

The door peephole camera and the Sharp UFO cam can virtually NOT see IR at all. Even $9cam, which is suppose to be IR barely picks up the light from the big IR floodlight.

The full body camera + the IR floodlight is freaking awesome at night - it's crystal clear as if the lights were all on! :D

The full body camera having an auto-iris lens can also handle rapid lighting changes better. Or more complex situations like a duller/indoor brightness in the foreground facing towards a bright background - like a shop enterance. The shadows created in situations like this is what will start seperating cameras apart.

But for home, I think the ebay gear is better than nothing. it;s cheap :D

As for the DVR, I'd use a PC. Either run the windows software that comes with the card, or download Zoneminder. It's a linux CCTV DVR distro.

When it comes to DVR's, the ability to find your footage quickly is vital. Some of those cheap standalone "VCR style" aren't as quick as a PC when it comes to actually finding what your looking for. It's easy enough if something has moved, but if your looking for movement - without motion/sensor timestamps - you could be there for hours! (record on motion/event is no good if there's constant movement - however this probably won't be a big deal at home.)

Mobotix, but way out of the price range for a home job :) The Q24 is freaking awesome, looks like a PA speaker rather than 360 fisheye megapixel camera!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  10. Oosh

Oosh Member

I've had limited exposure to Mobotix but what I've seen has left me impressed. Couple of advantages which go someway to reducing the price differential is all their cameras can do storage at the device, so for many small installs you won't need an Network Video Recorder, and their Video Management Software is free.

Re: the Q24 (which technically has a 'hemispherical' field of view ;)), the resolution of individual 'scenes' is a lot less than the sensor size once you take in to account the ever increasing fish-eye distortion that needs to be ironed out the further you 'look' off centre, but depending on what area you're covering it can do the job of up to 4 fixed cameras.

Edit: If you are going to drop decent coin on an IP camera these days, I'd be looking closely at getting items which are ONVIF compliant, seems to be some traction behind this now and I'm sure free/cheap ONVIF compliant NVR/VMS's will surface (not sure if ZoneMinder is looking at it) that you'll then be able to take advantage of some time in the future instead of being left with unsupported cameras.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  11. Danske

Danske Member

Man i saw this cool CCTV stuff at DSE which came with an iPhone App, and you could see ya live streams or something.

Pretty funky if you ask me.

12. Scandrew

Scandrew Member

I'm looking at the Axis range; mainly 207w and 1011w models. Hard to source in Australia?

What do people think about hooking up an eeepc to a decent webcam and running surveillance software of that?

13. Oosh

Oosh Member

If at all possible, go wired cameras, they're more secure, reliable, and like-for-like cheaper. Items that support Power-over-Ethernet make installation easier (remember you'll need a PoE switch or injectors) .

Re: Webcams it depends what you're trying to achieve, if it's simply to see that someone or something is obviously out of place, then they should cut it under good lighting conditions, remember they're optimised for picking out detail up close so seeing any identifying features at any kind of distance is unlikely and under low-light you can forget it - the noise will be terrible.

If you're bargain hunting I've seen from comments (no first-hand exp) that some of the DealExtreme offerings do surprisingly well, the downside is they often use propriety ActiveX controls and what not, so are difficult or nigh-on impossible to integrate with other software.

14. Scandrew

Scandrew Member

I ended up ordering a cheap Foscam FI8908W camera with pan and tilt to trial. Just under $100 delivered from Ebay.

I know most people would usually frown upon cheapo IP camera gear but for basic surveillance this should do the trick for now from what I've read of reviews and youtube clips I've watched of the camera in action. It has the function to connect either via ethernet or wireless and has infrared (not the best but decent enough for my purposes).

I was tossing up between this and an Axis M1101-W camera which costs approximately $280 which; a big jump in price but it doesn't have PTZ functionality or infrared. If I don't end up liking the Foscam I can always sell it or just use it for random funnies.

15. Scandrew

Scandrew Member

Received my Foscam FI8908W IP camera the other day. I think it's awesome for the price.

A few samples I just took. 6:35pmish with IR on and no lights besides outside and ones with the courtyard lights on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  16. driver

driver Member

I've had my IR camera setup going the past few days. Been impressived, i can see the clouds in the night sky! Not bad for a cheapo ebay job! :eek:

17. driver

driver Member

Here's a capture from the middle of last night - that is IR floodlight. The camera is mounted inside looking out a window.

Click to view full size!

Camera is an Ebay Sony 1/3 CCD Std Box Camera w/3.5-8mm auto-iris lens
    I believe this is the same camera...http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sony-1-3-CCD...-CCTV-DVR-/190436865840?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 ...and its' cheaper than I paid too! (although i did do a bulk order, so still worked out good. Might have to get another one anyway, these full-body cameras kickass in bad light. :D

And about 4m to the left, is one of these:
    InfraRed 140 LED Illumination Box , that's mounted about 1m off the ground atm. As you can see, the other side of the yard (~15m away) is still quite overexposed!

The DVR is a ZoneMinder PC, with a 16ch BT878 "Kodicom 4400R" card. But the $10 4pt BT878 card I also have works exactly the same.

Oh and using cheap CAT5 balans too over probably 25m of cable too.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  18. x0nt

x0nt Member

From what I can see, this camera on dealextreme is the Foscam FI8908W model, just without the branding.

It might need a firmware update from the Foscam site to get the same features etc, or not.

I might get one just for fun to test it out etc.

19. Scandrew

Scandrew Member

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  20. sjhupp

sjhupp Member

What cards do people use (assume zoneminder on a linux PC)? Any recommendations? (for up to 4 cameras)
    I'd be only looking for something basic at home, to satisfy the wife's 'need some security' request, and my 'new toy' desire :)
    I'd be happy to run cat5/6 cables around the house, as most of it is networked already.
    Only just starting to look into this, so thanks all for the comments/advice so far - very helpful.