Home Theatre PC build questions

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by RhysG, Jun 21, 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    RhysG

RhysG Member

Dang man, you seem pretty convinced they're a POS. Wish I could test one, maybe the local Officeworks has them on display... or Harvey Norman. I've got XBMC up and running on my main W7 x64 system and it seems to fare pretty well just using the directional keys. Go for a remote? Which one... will have a gander.

2. kizzav

kizzav Member

You could save $150 approx on buying Win7, for example & use Ubuntu with MythTV.

Ubuntu = Linux.
    Linux = free.

You can save more money by scaling back on the hardware (eg: RAM, GFX).

Only thing to look out for is whether the hardware is supported by Ubuntu or not.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  3. Wolf

Wolf Lex generalis

4. OP
    OP
    RhysG

RhysG Member

I already have a spare copy of Windows 7 x86 so there is no difference... also was purchased as a student upgrade so more like $50.

5. OP
    OP
    RhysG

RhysG Member

Thanks for the headsup, checking them out now.

6. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Good idea if your time or hair is free

I personally can't be arsed trying to juggle shit trying to get that to work

7. Tekin

Tekin Member

The new versions are honestly quite good - the developers have spent a bit of time working on the front end, so if you're not trying anything fancy, a simple one click install gives you a TV Server, and media front end.

Then you just pick your country (for TV channels and weather) pick your media folders and you're in.

The plugins / skins are where it really starts to shine, but you don't actually have to use them.

The only thing i'd comment on, windows 7 is not officially supported in V1 of mediaportal - it works apparently, but it's not supported.

With regard to input devices - i actually picked up one of these:

http://www.rockrock.com.au/product/showproduct.php?en=en&id=30

(you can get them at auspcmarket...reasonably pricy now though)

Anyways, it's a small keyboard (about the size of a laptop keyboard) with a trackball in the top right and a two buttons in the top left. Wireless, with rechargable batteries. Its actually fantastic.

Small enough to throw around and leave lying about on the couch - weeks of battery life between charges (and if it runs flat, you just plug it in overnight) - accurate with the trackball, and you can do a lot of typing on it. Obviously you're not goign to write the next great australian novel on it, but it's fantastic for when you've got to setup a network connection, or rename some files.

I've also got a windows MCE remote that i use in Mediaportal, because it's really well setup for it. (add skips, fast forwards etc etc)

8. OP
    OP
    RhysG

RhysG Member

OK having tried Media Portal and Media Browser I prefer XBMC as it seems to work alot easier with content library etc. The lack of PVR support doesn't bother me at the moment as I use Foxtel IQ2. However it is only software so if I want that functionality in the future then I can change over whenever I want :thumbup:. Thanks for the suggestions. Think I will get a remote instead of the DiNovo too.

9. OP
    OP
    RhysG

RhysG Member

Getting rid of the DiNovo brings the price down to below $600 all up which is acceptable. If I need a keyboard during initial setup or anything then I can use a spare :thumbup:.