HOME THEATRE RECEIVER

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by magnum308, Aug 11, 2021.

1. magnum308

magnum308 Member

considering Yamaha RX-V4A or perhaps at a stretch a RX-V6A. The former has 4 HDMI inputs which I need. Speakers are rated as front towers 150W 6 ohms, centre and surround speakers 100W 6 ohms. My previous receiver (Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K) which has now died and is unrepairable was rated at 140W 6 ohms.

Thoughts on which one or others would be appreciated.

2. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

What is the budget?

Without knowing that I'd suggest this, as it's one of the best measuring AVR's available for the money;

https://www.denon.com/en-au/shop/avreceiver/avrx3600h

Decent price on that here;

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/denon-avc-x3700h-9-2-channel-8k-home-theatre-av-amplifier.html

If that is too pricey, there are other Denon AVR's that may suit also.

Otherwise the Pioneers also measure quite well, so you may want to stick with a newer version of what you have;

https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/products/av_receiver/vsx-lx504/

JSmith

3. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

Not sure why someone would recommend a receiver at more than double the price of the one the OP asked about.....LOL

The major difference between the 2 you mentioned in Atmos and DTS:X - if you don't need these, the X4 should be fine.

darkanjel likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    magnum308

magnum308 Member

Yes, budget is around A$1,000. Both the ones I mentioned can be got for less than that. The DX-V4A for a lot less in fact.

5. OP
    OP
    magnum308

magnum308 Member

In selecting a receiver/amplifier I have a question on rated output. It is "powering" speakers that are rated as follows:

Right and Left tower speakers 150W at 6 ohm each
    Centre speaker 100W at 6 ohm
    Surround speakers 100W at 6 ohm each

What output should I ideally seek of an amplifier?

6. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

I wouldn’t buy anything less powerful than the rxv6.

the_fuzz likes this.
  7. Sledge

Sledge Member

the_fuzz likes this.
  8. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

most places have this for $999 normal price

wait for an eBay 15% off to get it for $849 (i almost pulled the trigger on one a couple weeks ago, but i'm still umming and ahhing)

9. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

I'm sorry but I just don't get why people bother with this crap. These things are churned out by the thousand day after day in the Malaysian factory. Production costs are probably something like $20 a unit or lower.
    The things just a glorified HDMI Switch box. I see that the "Been Counters" have now dropped all Analogue connections, except the Phono turntable connection. That's somewhat sad, If your other stuff lacks an HDMI connection.

Then we get this little Gem in the reviews, The amplifier has a rated power of 100 W on all seven channels, with 8 Ohm. If you want to use lower impedance speakers, there is a setting for this in the menus, although unfortunately the 4 Ohm speakers are only supported by the first left and right channels.

Of cause what they meant to say was it's 100 watts [doubtful] across all channels, Just make sure your speakers are rated at 6 or 8 ohm load, Try using a 4 ohm load speaker and the thing will die with-in seconds. Many reading this will disagree. Ho-hum
    But if you want something cheap, that's way,way below entry level, simply to run a sound bar and a DVD player, then this is for you. Just remember "Pay Peanuts, Get Monkey's"

10. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

there’s some misleading stuff here.
    Firstly if you ran 4 ohm fronts on this it won’t just die, it will simply cut back its power output to a safe but still usable wattage. Secondly you wouldn’t use any Av receiver to run 99% of soundbars as they are active.
    Thirdly who really cares about old composite and component connections? Wasting money on those and the necessary analog to digital converters just unnecessarily pushes up the price. I have sold theatres for the last 6 years and the only real reason to want these connections is for old game consoles WHICH ALL HAVE commonly available adaptors to convert them to HDMI for under $30 (like a wii2hdmi adaptor, same for PS2 etc). You have to remember HDMI has been the standard since 2006!

I am not oblivious to the benefits of a more powerful amp but this rxv6 is about the right level if your floorstanders are budget models under $1500 new.

FWIW I have a denon avcx6500 in my theatre and a 110 watt Yamaha RXa870 in my living.

11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Power wise... but why aren't people looking at the actual performance of the unit?

It's not very good;

upload_2021-8-27_11-29-14.png

Agree, AVR's are generally problematic with so much in one unit... however there are some that perform reasonably well too, but not at $1000AUD. Units that are $1200 in the US seem to be double the price plus here... shitty Australia tax. Really have to go above $2000 here for decent performance.

JSmith

12. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Look at an decent amp and you won't find HDMI connections. For starters HDMI was never deigned for Audio, It's simply a video transport. The audio simply piggy backs on the video signal. Of cause if you work for HN or JB then it's the only thing that matters simply because Jo Public has been brainwashed into thinking HDMI is the only way to go, "look it only takes one cable" just how "Neat and Tidy " is that. And unlike SCART, which is still the European standard, HDMI lack's a Trigger connection.

I really don't expect you to agree we me, But out of my four audio systems, there simply isn't any need for HDMI.

13. Audionut

Audionut Member

What is not very good about it?

Can you link to a comparable unit?

14. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Agree, It's a selling point, just look at all the features they stuff into the things, most of which are never used, instead of supplying a decent power supply. And when the things do give up the ghost 90% of the time it's a power supply problem. But it's all about profit for the manufacturers. And new models are coming out every 8 to 10 months.

As I said before it all comes down to cost, I do understand that most people have to rely on a fixed income and have to budget for essentials firstly, and with this Covid thing, what with shut downs and business closures, money for extra's is in short supply. Some people will never recover. I'm lucky in that respect being retired, I live in my own home in a small community with a 100 kilometer round trip to the shops.

But at the end of the day Gerry's still selling big TV's with the line of watch now ,pay later. Mind you miss a payment, and the interest rates double, or there knocking on your door at 2am for payment or re'pro.
    Business is business, and they simply don't care, providing they can acquire another race horse, at the consumers expense.

Nicholas likes this.
  15. Audionut

Audionut Member

The very fact that they are churned out by the thousand, every day, should be an indication of their usefulness, even when they don't confine within individual ideals.

Thankfully, we have the other end of the market for people who think 0.01% better total harmonic distortion makes them elite.

the_fuzz likes this.
  16. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

It's likely going to have audible distortion based on the measurements posted.
    There isn't anything in the sub $1000AUD area with decent performance IMO... I linked to some earlier, but they are $2K+ here, only $1K+ in the US.

I'd be looking for something over 90dB sinad, at least over 80 for a reasonably transparent amp. Of course there is more to look at than just that figure too (FFT etc.)... but it's a good general starting indicator.

That said, not everyone is me or have the same requirements... all I can do is speak from my perspective.
    Yep, agree... although many do use an AVR for surround processing as a pre-pro, bypass for stereo.

JSmith

17. Audionut

Audionut Member

The measurements are not excellent, by any stretch of the imagination, but I respectfully disagree.

A SINAD of 76dB, again, while not being excellent, is not going to lead to noise issues under normal circumstances. The average background noise level of a typical listening environment is going to be at least 35db, which means that the system can easily reproduce 105dB, with the noise level being below the noise floor of the listening environment.

0.027% of THD+N is well below perception.
    https://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/distortion/

18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

All good, it's a complex topic and it's not just about the THD+N/SINAD figure. It doesn't really tell us what the distortion is or whether it is even or odd/non-linear harmonic distortion, IMD... one is much more audible than the other.

https://www.nti-audio.com/en/support/know-how/lets-clear-up-some-things-about-distortion

The figures are pretty standard here for many AVR's... just personally I'd be looking for something that performs above average if I was going to spend the dough, so would save that extra $1K and then get something better.

JSmith

19. Audionut

Audionut Member

I would argue that the type of distortion, when it is below the level of perception, is irrelevant.

https://sound-au.com/bi-amp.htm#intermod
    I still tri-amp though, because........I can!

At the end of the day, people shooting for cheapish AVR's aren't going to be overly interested in distortion/etc specs, unless a model being advertised is fundamentally flawed. The difference in overall sound quality between a $1000 AVR and a $2000 AVR is going to be 3/5ths of 5/8ths of fuck all. It'll spec better, no doubt, and perhaps an audiophile could tell the difference under properly implemented double-blind listening tests, but the majority of the differences, IMHO, will be features and WOW factors.

20. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

True, I don't disagree... just that 'aint me, I'd probably never be in the market for a cheapish AVR, more mid price range. :)

Knowing it didn't measure well would probably bug me more than any distortion though... I would want to sit there knowing I have a transparent amp and got the best for the money, but I'm a bit of a stickler like that when it comes to audio products.

TBH I'd be looking at the cheaper, lower power Denon models if stuck on a $1K budget, like the X1600H... one would hope some of the performance specs of the more expensive models has trickled down to an extent.

JSmith

Audionut likes this.