1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Homebrew.

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Vindaloo, Feb 27, 2002.

1. spaced1

spaced1 Member

Mind me asking you how much the temp controller cost?

And what changes you made to the kit?

I've got a gluten free belgian jaggery and saffron ale on the ferment on the moment. Like you I'm hoping it turns out good. Also good to see a fellow brewer who loves Belgian Beers.

I'm going to tackle a gluten free extract version of this next, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/pink-elephant-delirium-tremens-clone-112957/ Don't know your experice but if you love belgians I think you might like this (shouldn't be too hard to convert to extract if it isn't in the thread already).

There is a recipe a recipe for Duvel in the 250 clone brew BYO magazine, if you like that as well. Pretty sure it's all grain and extract versions.

After that I'm going to do a Belgian IPA, which should be very interesting. Still looking for a good recipe for that.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. SBP

SBP Member

Busy day for myself, washed 75 odd bottles, bottled a english ale that was on secondary fermentation, racked a pale ale from primary to secondary and threw together a dark ale with chocolate and brown sugar into a primary.

Great way to spend the day when the girlfriend is at work and i've got a RDO.

3. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

seem to recall postmodern mentioning he'd done a very successful belgian IPA

4. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

Sent spaced1 a PM to the effect that it was just an IPA with Belgian yeast. Some time ago now. Just read an earlier post and discovered that I started kegging seven years ago. Far out, that's so long a ago.

I just started brewing again after a haitus. Put down a dark ale for a winter warmer week ago. 1.3 buckets of ale malt, 1/4 pint of belgian biscuit malt, 1/2 pint of dark crystal and a good sized handful of roast barley. OG was 1.060, 35IBUs and a lot of Motueka late in the boil. US-05 yeast at 18C for 10 days. Tastes OK at the end of primary, gonna keg this weekend. Don't have the time to bang out another AG brew, so I think I'll put down a toucan on the yeast cake. 1 can coopers stout, one can coopers lager.

5. SBP

SBP Member

Put on a couple of coopers kits today, a pilsener and a scotch ale mix using sparkling ale and amber malt.

Building a large collection of reserves for summer.

6. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

For Summer, lol. I'm still worried about my supplies for June :)

7. Spork!

Spork! Member

@ Spaced, sorry took so long to reply to your question:
    STC 1000 temp. controller cost me about $23 posted. Sometimes they pop up even cheaper. Then I had to buy a project box (approx $6 Jaycar) but some people just use a tupperware container. Some terminal blocks for a couple of bucks and 2 x extension cords and Robert's your mothers brother! I also used some cable holder thingos to make a good, solid, water resistant setup. Some just use cable ties and small holes. Others mount proper plugs on the box, but extension cords = cheap, easy and flexible. All up it cost me about $45. It has heating and cooling circuits, so if it gets too hot the 'fridge comes on, if it gets too cool the heater (reptile heat cord) comes on.
    Their use and wiring is discussed in depth here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45747&st=20

re. changes to the (Chimal Blue clone) recipe: Changed to method were:
    I heated 3 litres water to 70c and added the grain (in a stocking) for 20 mins @ 67c. (Grain was at room temp thus the difference in temps) I then removed the grain and drained it into the wort and brought the wort tothe boil. This kills any bugs that may have been in the grain. Hops were then added, and boil continued for 35 mins.
    Changes to ingredients were: used 480g of honey (kit contained 500g, recipe said use 250g) and used 500g of light candi sugar (came with kit) instead of 400g brown sugar (recipe).

After 2 weeks in primary I racked this to secondary, then crash chilled (0.5c) for 48 hours. That really cleared it up. Bottled yesterday. Might try one in about August.

PostModern - I did same toucan last week, plus a box of Coopers Brew Improver #1. It looks, smells and tastes good already. Glad I used to new Coopers fermenter for it, had a massive krausen!

Yesterday I did my first AG stovetop BIAB.

I'm also working on my supply of longnecks. Hard work emptying all those Coopers sparkling ales, but someone has to do it. :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  8. Chunks

Chunks Member

On the spur of the moment I've knocked up what I hope is some basic ginger beer. In a tightly sealed softdrink bottle in my laundry there is cane sugar, ginger, lemon juice, water and fresh bakers yeast.

All of the guides I've quickly read (after setting all this in motion) point to dried instant yeast. Is my mongrel ginger beer attempt doomed for some reason due to the fresh yeast?

I guess the proof will be 24hrs from now.

9. Spork!

Spork! Member

Chunks, most brewers use brewing yeast. However, baking yeast will still "eat" the sugar and produce alcohol and CO2 as byproducts.
    Bakers yeast works well at "room temperature" - about 20c. It may, or may not, produce some "interesting" flavours. (Esthers and phenols) It will ferment slower than say an ale yeast (which is what usually comes with the beer kits).
    Finally, it will stop working once the %abv reaches (IIRC) about 11%, which should be plenty high enough for your ginger beer!

10. Chunks

Chunks Member

Well that went very well :)
    I only left it to ferment for three days but it seemed to develop a little alcohol and a very firey ginger slap in the face.

It worked so well infact that I knocked up a second larger batch. This time making a ginger and vanilla syrup to ferment instead of sugar syrup and grated ginger in the bottle.

I'll leave this second larger and more refined batch for 7 days? I feel like I need to open and turn the bottles every 12 hours or so or risk some kind of explosion.

I can see now how home-brew hooks people in, it's facinating. I can't wait to get down to a brew store and get some proper ale yeast, although the fresh bakers yeast seemed to do the job just fine.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  11. aXis

aXis Member

You only need something like 8 grams of suger per litre for carbonating and can leave it sealed permanently until drinking time, however that will produce less than 0.5% alcohol by volume.

If you want higher alcohol then best to leave the caps loose the whole time with about 100g suger per litre, wait a good 7 - 14 days, decant gently into another bottle, add 8g sugar per litre, tighten the caps and wait another few days. You will then have a 5% ABV brew with the correct cabonation and no explosions.

12. Chunks

Chunks Member

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to follow your advice for an alcoholic brew.

13. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

You might want to sweeten it a little as it'll come out very dry. Use lactose/stevia/equal as any normal sugar will ferment.

14. Chunks

Chunks Member

Won't the alcohol content hit a certain percentage (11% was mentioned) after which the yeast no longer functions? Couldn't I then sweeten it with cane sugar?

15. aXis

aXis Member

It will be very difficult to judge the finishing point with method, will probably take a long time, and it will probably taste terrible.

16. Spork!

Spork! Member

To calculate how much sugar to prime your bottles with, and just about anything else brewing related, use this free program: http://www.brewmate.com-about.com/download.html
    Carbonation calc. is in the tools tab.
    Even if you are just doing kit beers, the tools etc. in this can be very handy.

17. Chunks

Chunks Member

Well I'm enjoying my concoction now. Fermented for 8 days and carbonated for 2. I chucked 3 coopers carbonation drops into the bottles and sealed them up tight. Tonight I sweetened them with aspartamine.

I'm calling it a great success. Sure it's down on the firey ginger flavour compared to my first quick batch in which I left the grated ginger in, instead of straining the syrup. But it's definitely alcoholic, I've had two glasses and I feel as though I've had about 4 std drinks. So I guess 7% - 8%.

The next step is to get down to my nearest homebrew store and get the right gear. If I can achieve a firey, carbonated, alcoholic ginger beer I don't see me buying a carton of blue tongue again :)

Edit: It's a little on the sour side however.

18. Spork!

Spork! Member

Chunks - I hope you bottled into plastic 1 litre bottles. 3 carbonation drops in a glass 750ml longneck = bottle bomb in the making!

19. Chunks

Chunks Member

Haha no I did read the instructions. 1.5L plastic.

20. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

Brewed, fermented, conditioned and kegged a dark ale (was meant to be a White Rabbit clone, but not quite there). It started on 1.060 and finished. Been kegged for three days under 10psi of CO2. Not bad, I like it, but will stay away from the fridge for a couple days more to see if it drops out a little brighter.

[​IMG]

Used US-05 and captured some yeast which I promptly pitched onto a Coopers toucan stout (yeah, I know, kits :))

EDIT: Recipe: Bucket and a bit of Barret Burston pale malt, 1/4 pint of Biscuit malt, 1/4 pint Dark Crystal, 1/4 pint Caramunich II and a handful of roast barley, late hopped with 1g/litre Motueka. Yum!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011