Homebrew.

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Vindaloo, Feb 27, 2002.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

How much do you want? :p

2. mmBax

mmBax Member

Would they be worth posting? Probably be a pain in the ass to get them shipped when I could get them new at the local and let them handle the shipping.

I'd only want 1 or 2 regardless.

3. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Not really worth the trouble to post, no. Anyways, I'm starting to think I'll just hold onto them. Might be upgrading the whole rig in six months, so all ten might actually get used

4. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Say, on an entirely unrelated topic, has anyone in here ever bought a turnkey brewery setup / brewsculture? Like, a beerbelly mashpilot, sabco brew magic, et all?

5. Simboo

Simboo Member

A friend of mine imported a Sabco Brewmagic from the 'states. It's a really impressive piece of kit. I went over to his place to check it in action one day and it's fantastic to work with. Certainly not a cheap option, but I think a key point with something like that is the repeatability for people who want to start up something bigger. I tried a few different beers made with the Sabco, and I won't say it's all the machine (studied brewing) because it's not, but they were all excellent drops.

For your typical home brewer though.. probably not the best for the kind of money it cost to bring in.

6. mmBax

mmBax Member

Hey lads,

I just posted it up on aussiehomebrewer, but I'm looking for some recipe ideas.

My kit and kilo's have been getting a little out of control with hop additions etc, the last one I did I spent 60 bucks (that was to stock up on hops as well) but still.. This one's going back down to something simple.

I've got Citra, Nelson Sauvin, Cascade and Chinook.
    I also have 500g LDME.

Anything come to mind for a really simple easy drinking pale ale? What hops?

I can do a small boil if need be, my last brew I think was an 8L boil with my 500g of LDME for 30min with hop additions.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Coopers Home Brew currently doing free delivery on $50+ orders.

8. mmBax

mmBax Member

Good to know thanks Chilled.

I ended up just doing 1kg of LDME and the tin of Coopers APA. I'm dry hopping some Nelson and Citra for some aroma but settled for balance as the mate I'm going to be sharing with likes pretty bog standard beers.

If anything I think this will be too malty. A smidge of bittering hops would have went a long way, but I was lazy and got it started quickly on my lunch break.

9. FFC

FFC Member

If one wanted to get into homebrew, but didn't want to go the route of Coopers syrup brews where would one start?

Is there a "dummies guide" to homebrew anyone can recommend?

10. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

It would depend more on how much you wanted to spend and what route you wanted to go. There's a few different methods for All Grain brewing.

11. FFC

FFC Member

In terms of spend, are you referring to set up equipment or the cost of ongoing ingredients?

I'm local to Dave's Home Brew in North Sydney, so I've only really been looking at that website to gauge pricing of equipment/ingredients.

Ingredients are these kits (I figure this will be easier to start off with than sourcing everything based off a recipe, and it'll also be better than starting off with a Coopers kit - correct me if I'm wrong here).

Equipment

Again, not sure what I need exactly yet. I was after a decent book or guide to read before anything so I can get my head around the process.

12. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

Spend in terms of equipment price. If you're looking at kits honestly the coopers kit is the cheapest way to get into it and it's not that different to what you're looking at (minus the addition of hops really and a different yeast). I wouldn't bother with glass bottles personally and would go the plastic ones instead (no bombs is a great place to start).

You can always use those kits from daves (or the muntons etc) instead of the coopers cans with the coopers brewing equipment too and it works out costing less (90bucks max for that kit with bottles iirc).

13. FFC

FFC Member

Not adverse to spending a bit of money on kit itself, especially if I'll have it a while (I just noticed there are the stove top kits at the very bottom of that beer ingredients page I linked too). No bombs?

Any recommendations on a decent beginners guide book?

14. mmBax

mmBax Member

No bombs. Exploding bottles. If you bottle before the yeast is finished doing it's thing. It builds up pressure and can explode.

You're not meant to bottle before it's finished so it shouldn't happen, but if you go plastic bottles it just expands anyway.

Honestly, I got a coopers kit and it came with a CD, but I'm fairly sure the cd's contents are on youtube.

Aussiehomebrewer is a good website for reference, although all the guys in here are very knowledgeable.

Here's probably a good one. I haven't watched it all though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV5k27y8xbs

15. FFC

FFC Member

Cool, thank you. :)

16. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

I started with "How to Brew" by John Palmer and found it invaluable (still do).

Stove top kits are usually what's called Kit and Kilo or small batch brew in a bag. The KnK method uses grains steeped in warm water and added to the can o' goop along with hops to make a better flavor profile.

Biggest tips I can give you
    - be OCD about cleaning, find what works for you and stick with it.
    - take notes of every brew in a notebook. It'll come in invaluable for when you want to reproduce that beer that you liked.
    - Don't believe you need to 'learn to like' a beer that you brewed, I often tip a beer out if it's no good/hasn't turned out how I want.
    - ask questions, brewers (home and commercial) are often more than happy to help.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  17. FFC

FFC Member

From the reading I've been able to do today (especially over at AHB) I think I'd prefer to go to a stove top kit rather than the liquid sludge route. Sure...more can go wrong, but it seems a little more in-depth/involved.

I'll swing by Dave's Home Brew tomorrow and check it all out in person - there were a few recipes I saw over at AHB that tickled my fancy (hop hog, lc pale ale).

18. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

Hop hog is one of my favorite session beers when I don't have any of my Pale Ale on.

Steeping will give better results over just the plain ole tin too (although cost goes up per beer).

19. FFC

FFC Member

I'm used to beercartel.com.au prices ($62 for my last 4 beers), anything is an improvement on that :)

20. aloysius

aloysius Member

Anyone else using Brewtarget (http://www.brewtarget.org/)? I been playing around in it and it seems pretty damn good. Would like a few more recipes but I will get there.