Homebrew.

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Vindaloo, Feb 27, 2002.

1. weznagwama

weznagwama Member

So...after moving out with the mrs to a 1bdr unit, not given the approval to have my fermenters in the lounge room, then becoming single and moving out to a place with ample, cool space, another brew will go down this Saturday!

I'll be resuming my last recipie found here, but with slight modifications!

250g Lager/Pilsner grain pack
    2kg Liquid Lager Malt Extract
    1kg Liquid Wheat Malt Extract
    350g Dextrose
    1g Galaxy (15 % AA) – 15min boil
    15g Galaxy (15 % AA) – 5min boil
    15g Galaxy (15 % AA) – Dry Hop (in 3 days)
    15g Galaxy (15 % AA) - Dry hop (2 days before bottle)
    2xSaf Ale Us-05 Yeast, or Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast - rehydrated

When brewsvegas was on in Brisbane, I was lucky enough to run into one of the head brewers for stone and wood. Considering my recipe is a stone and wood pacific ale clone attempt, it worked out quite good.

Turns out for 2500L, they use a single handful of galaxy for bittering. So I will reduce the 30g to 1g. I don't know if 1g will really make a difference, but considering they use a handful for 2500L, 1g probably sounds about right.

I originally said there was sort of a funny flavour, and I reckon it was the galaxy bittering, so I'm super exited to see how this turns out.

edit: ill probably do 1-2 extract brews to get back into the swing of things, then look at moving onto a BIAB setup. Does anyone have any recommendations for places that sell the good filters for BIAB? Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. J-C90

J-C90 Member

1gm of galaxy at 15min will do f*ck all for bittering or flavor sorry(to be exact - about 0.9IBU's based on 22L of 1.055)

I think the S&W guy was tugging your chain. Or else he meant a 'handful' as in the metaphorical sense - not literally.

3. weznagwama

weznagwama Member

I actually asked him that exact thing, to clarify, and he said a literal handful.

Might make it 5g? Or might use say 10g of cascade? What do you reckon?

4. J-C90

J-C90 Member

I take it your not using any software yet to play with your recipes? Here is a an online tool to help work out how hop additions will effect bitterness in your recipes: http://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/

Basically you need to decide on a target bitterness for your beer(pale ales are usually around 30-40 IBU's), then you can play with the tool to see how much to use and when.

I brewed a beer recently using Galaxy as the bittering hop(also late for flavor) and didnt like it a great deal. I know I like galaxy late but wasnt so keen on what it did for bittering. It did get better with a bit of age but it wasnt really what I was after. Personally I'd use another hop for bittering, like Warrior, but dont let that stop you having a go with it.

5. J-C90

J-C90 Member

PS.. its been a while since I tried S&W Pale Ale but I dont remember it being very low on IBU's? Also remember they probably do at least 60-90min boil - you will get more bitterness from a longer boil time - but even then, a handful in that quantity of wort doesnt seem right to me? Maybe it was a handful of galaxy along with a lot more of some other bittering hop?

6. mmBax

mmBax Member

One handful isn't really specific. But I'm fairly sure if I cupped my hand and poured into it, I could easily get a 100g bag of pellets in my hand.

Having said that though. That's still only 1g dropping it back to 25L isn't it.

The recipes I've seen have about 25g in for bittering. I'd probably drop it back to 5g or something.

7. weznagwama

weznagwama Member

Yeah that's correct, basically winging it. I have to sanitize my stuff tonight and go buy some stuff, so will check it out tonight/tomorrow thanks for that. I've heard heaps of good stuff about....brewmate? So I might get a license once I get a few more brews under my belt. Lots of research to do obviously :).

Yeah I dunno, admittedly I didn't ask him that which is silly of me. Does seem a bit strange though hey.

Yeah I'm gonna have a chat to the guys at brewerschoice and see what they say. I beleive I wasn't to fussed on the galaxy bittering, so will either swap or reduce. I think I'll reduce it for this first brew first to see what happens.

8. weznagwama

weznagwama Member

I'm such an idiot.

Did my brew, took my OG reding - it was like 1020? I thought that I read it wrong. Measured again - 1020. Measured a third time, 1020. Thought that was a bit odd, but kept cleaning up.

Walked back into the kitchen and turned around and 2/3 extract jars are sitting on the bench, unopened.

So I basically have flavoured water that would be like 1%. I'm going to tip it and do the brew again this weekend :(.

9. spaced1

spaced1 Member

If you're going to retry brewing it I recommend following this recipe
    http://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10660

I hear it's pretty spot on.

10. Echo Man

Echo Man Member

What actually went into the batch? I'd just dump the extract in ASAP.

11. weznagwama

weznagwama Member

Cheers, I'll have a better read of it tonight, might give it a shot this weekend.

Well, everything in my recipie above except the last 2 jars of malt extract. Is that what you mean?

Yeah I was furious and completely ran out of time, so when I was driving to my mates house I probably thought I should have just dumped the extract in and prayed to god, however then I would have been up for buying a complete other set of ingredients with possibly dodgy beer, whereas I still have my yeast etc. I just need some hops and 1 tin of extract. So dunno, I probably could have saved it one way or another...

it's since been 5 days so I think it's way gone now...

12. mmBax

mmBax Member

Well I finally got some more ingredients.

Going to do the pacific ale clone that I've seen floating around one of these afternoons. Probably Friday.

It's extract, Wheat and Light Malts. US05 and Galaxy. I think it also calls for 300g of Dextrose to pick up the alcohol, but I'm not sure if I want it just yet. Galaxy hops all round.

13. mmBax

mmBax Member

Well I ended up adding the 300g of Dex, probably should have left it out as my OG ended up jumping all the way to 1050. Pretty heavy for an easy drinker. 1% higher than the brew I was meant to be copying.

Spreadsheet actually told me 4.7%, so I have no idea why I'd get such a high yield? Unless my scales are off.

Had some Hop Thief on tap the other night as well, that wasn't too bad. What's everyone else doing?

14. aXis

aXis Member

More accurately, you probably want to decide on an IBU / SG ratio so that your beer ends up in balance. There are recommended ratios for each style, Pale ales are around 0.9 so that means with a 1050 SG you'd want 45IBU to maintain the balance between sweet and bitter. 45 IBU is pretty agressive but then again that's what a good pale ale should be :)

See here for more examples: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/ibu-sg-ratios-style-129765/
    Beersmith calculates this automatically and is a good tool for hop additions as well as the whole brew day proces.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  15. neRok

neRok Member

Gents, I am thinking about trying brewing again. I tried it 7+years ago when I was <20, and it was too inconvenient for many reasons, so gave up. But now I am ready to go again - but want to do it cheap...

Re ingredients, I will just start off with cans and move into other avenues later. Get everything else going first.

Re fermenting, I will have a spare fridge and temp controller soon, so ive got that under factor control. Ive spotted conical fermenters, they look mighty convenient! Any places selling them at a reasonable price (plastic)? Ive only spotted 1 on ebay for $270.

Re carbonating, cleaning bottles was probably the biggest turnoff last time. Those ~20L soda kegs with CO2 look like too much $ investment, surely can be done cheaper. I thought about carbonating and drinking straight from a plastic carboy, I reckon it could be made to work. Lots of websites talking about exploding etc (probably with glass carboy more-so), but I notice Better Bottles plastic carboys are rated to 15psi, which is bang-on what you pressurise the soda kegs to. So I think I could get a full carboy carbonated, but then it would lose pressure as you start drinking and go flat. I looked at buying the 20l keg, they are about $50 (acceptable), but would also suffer from going flat without CO2 (and how would you get it out, carboy would have gravity on its side). I take it re-pressurising with air is a no-go? So what other options are there? 4x5L picnic style drinking bottles?

16. J-C90

J-C90 Member

..thats how it starts.

Fermentation temp control is the first thing to sort out - so well done there. Forget about conical fermenters - there is no real advantage to them for most HB'ers. Just get a 30L plastic water drum with a tap and a lid from Bunnings for <$20.

I would probably get a 20l keg, a picnic/Bronco tap and a small CO2 bulb charger kit ($20-$60). You would then have to prime the keg with sugar to carbonate the beer and the little CO2 bulb will provide pressure for serving and keep it primed. This set-up will probably still cost you close to $100 but its then scalable to something better later by upgrading to a proper CO2 bottle, reg and taps etc.

Not sure where you are but these guys are good for cheap kegging and brewing gear: www.kegking.com.au

17. mmBax

mmBax Member

What sterilisation method were you using with your last lot of bottles? It's one of my dislikes, but if you're organised it can all happen quite quickly.

Cleaning, rinse when finished with the bottle.
    Pump through star-san and recap - ready to fill next time.

As for carbonating. I have a second container that I use for bulk priming. Add the full amount of sugar required with a small amount of water, boil and drop into the mix. Stir it through and bottle each bottle normally. Cap and finished.

Having said all that, I want to make the move to kegs soon enough.

18. neRok

neRok Member

Aint nobody got time for cleaning bottles whilst drinking :lol:

Good in theory, but never happened in practice. This meant a thorough cleaning another time, which takes ages IMO. I filled them the way you said, which took a while, and there was always the chance of a bottle not carbonating enough. I think a single pressure-controlled vessel (with BOV or similar) would give far greater results - hence my desire for a cheap & effective solution.

19. aloysius

aloysius Member

Some people have had success using Tap King bottles. Bit of initial outlay but you get beer with it at least. I wouldn't go this way BTW...just a suggestion :D

20. mmBax

mmBax Member

In my opinion it sounds like you just need to fork out and go the 20L cornelius kegs and be done with it.