Homebrew.

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Vindaloo, Feb 27, 2002.

1. mmBax

mmBax Member

It was more for simplicity with grain bill. But I guess if I'm ordering it already packaged it's not going to matter too much and is probably no more complicated than a hop schedule.

I'm not entirely sure on what I want to brew, long term goal is to probably do some NEIPA's but mostly stick with sessionable pales with a little bit of hop aroma.

Basically at this point I'm just hanging out for kegland/kegking or whatever one it is to get some gear back in stock and I'll hit the button on the kegging + a false bottom and a BIAB bag.
    Once I've got that I should have enough to get started, my local HBS isn't the best although it has been 3 years since I've seen them also. Normally I just order through National Homebrew up here in QLD. Hervey Bay I think they're at.

I've got Brewsmith and Ians BIAB spreadsheet from Aussiehomebrewers, as his old Extract spreadsheet was super handy back in the day.

Have a lot to try and remember, like using certain hops for Aroma is fine but if they're in the boil for too long they go gross etc.

2. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Do a New England Pale, then - 85% pale malt of choice, 12% flaked oats, 3% carapils (or carafoam, or any other similar dextrin malt, or unmalted wheat if you can't find a dextrin malt).

Aim for an OG around 1.050...with average attenuation that'll finish 1.010-1.012 for about 5% ABV.

Use whatever bittering hop you like (or a bit extra of one of your flavour hops, after googling that it isn't one of the ones better kept out of the boil) for a modest 10-15 IBU in the boil, then do all your other hop additions after flameout (ideally in the whirlpool at around 85C but let's not get picky here).

Put about 50g into the whirlpool and whatever feels sensible for a getting-your-feet brew into the dry hop - I'd suggest 100g but, y'know, whatever. Just whatever flavour hops you feel like right now, I'm sure it'll be fine. It'll definitely make beer.

Dry yeast: S04 if you have temperature control, or the new Lallemand dry Kveik if you don't.
    Liquid Yeast: WY1318 or WLP007 if you have temperature control, or a liquid Kveik if you don't.

3. arytel

arytel Member

I;m in the same boat.
    Finished my Keggle and am going BIAB justmaking sure I have everything ready before I start.
    It's been a long time, got all my grain, hops and yeast, just trying to find the time un-interrupted to start the process.

Don't think you are taking on too much.BIAB and kegging to me are separate. Get it brewed then you have a few weeks to sort out the kegging side.
    Mine will be in kegs afterwards, I got turned off bottles very quickly before.

4. mmBax

mmBax Member

Thanks Seekerr, I've got temp control, have only ever used US-05. Any issues using that as I know its something my LHBS stocks.
    Happy to try a Neipa, I'll contact national in the next week or so and see if they've got any kits.

Arytel, have you got pics of your setup back a few pages or anything? I've got the keg with the hole chopped out of the top, that's as far as I got many years ago, I still need to buy a tap for draining and presumably I need a false bottom if I want to chuck the burner back on to retain the heat. Will I need a lid?
    It's just the little specifics as well like lifting the bag out, where am I resting it to drain etc.

5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Don't use US-05 for a hazy anything, it loves to drop clear even with the higher hop loads. I mean it'll still make beer but not what you were aiming for.

If they stock US-05 they'll also have S-04, they're both Fermentis dry yeast products.

6. mmBax

mmBax Member

Thanks, I'll keep you updated over the next fortnight/month. Kegland is out of stock on my kegging stuff, so I'll probably just concentrate on the keggle gear until they get regulators back in stock.

7. josh1990

josh1990 Member

I used rolled oats in a partial mash and it's plenty hazy with the US-05. I buy the US-05 by the 500g brick cos bulk savings.

8. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I mean, you do you. If I was in your position I'd probably just roll with the -05 too. But if you don't have a bunch of yeast sitting around, you might as well buy an appropriate packet of yeast.

9. arytel

arytel Member

I'll post in the morning.

But, I cut the top out and ground it back to the outer lip, I wanted the handle for moving if still hot.
    I had 3 holes cut, 2 for each heater element, and 1 for the tap. I've welded a socket on the tap hole for the tap connection.

10. mmBax

mmBax Member

Cheers, I've already got the hole cut and the left the handles too, I'll be using a gas burner so I guess I'll only want the tap out.

I'm looking at no chill and no sparge. I have a feeling no chill will work against me with NEIPA's but it's additional gear that I don't want to get into just yet, plus there's no easy to get to water where my setup is.

11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Sure will. Do no additions at all before flameout and consider dropping the cube in a pool / bath to try to get it under 80C asap.

12. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Cube hops are a pretty good substitute for whirlpool hops, though

13. mmBax

mmBax Member

I can easily drop it in the pool.

One of the brewing apps has an option for no chill I'm fairly sure, which adapts your hop additions to suit. I'll have to have a look later at brewsmith.

14. Narcolepsy

Narcolepsy Member

A simple smash you might consider is just munich malt and willamette hops. Ferment it with S-04 or Nottingham and you can make an easy to drink English mid. The colour is nice too and you won't burn through a lot of hops. I aim for 4% when I make it; it's my lazy winter lawnmower beer here in SE Qld.

theSeekerr likes this.
  15. mmBax

mmBax Member

Thanks Narco

I just ordered what I needed from kegland, geez their website is a POS system. Their regulators were out of stock, so I waited until they got back in stock before ordering the BYO Fridge/Freezer Kegging kit. But when it was time to order the kit, the gas bottles and taps were out of stock!
    So now I've got to wait until the 30th to put another order in for gas and a tap, might grab a bronco/picnic tap as well.

I really only needed the 1/2 ball valve tap for the keggle as a priority over the kegging stuff. But I need to get some ingredients sorted as well once I get the keggle cleaned up and ready to go.

16. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yeah...they don't have the warehouse space to keep enough stock of all their lines, and for the same reason they don't want to take preorders and consolidate shipping.... it's frustrating, it's hard to catch everything you want in stock at the same time.

But they're so cheap that even multiple batches of shipping don't kill it, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Speaking of Kegland, they've just started stocking ball lock posts with a 1/2" male BSP thread on them, so there's finally a good way to adapt ball lock onto other common brewery fittings without having to step through 5/8" or 1/4". I've definitely wanted this in the past, although I can't for the life of me remember why right now...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  17. mmBax

mmBax Member

Yeah consolidation would have been great. But yeah as you said, my local hbs wanted 160 for a 2.6kg co2. Plus 60 or something for a regulator. I think 2.6kg's are at 60 dollars at kegland and the regulator was 40.

Lots of talk of people repurposing co2 at the moment. That kind of talk is above my level but it's interesting nonetheless.

18. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I've got my stuff set up to use the vented CO2 to purge the eventual serving keg(s), and to spund the last portion of fermentation for natural carbonation straight out of the fermenter. I'll grab some pics the next time I've got something in the chamber.

19. mmBax

mmBax Member

Well I just blew another chunk of cash on the remaining bits I needed.

Most of my gear arrived today, but kegland is out of co2 until the 10th, I'm impatient, so I got a 20L Cube, co2 tank, a paddle and a little picnic tap sent up by keg king.

The only thing left will be a recipe kit from National Homebrew and I'm good to roll.

Edit: I was going to order in stuff to make my own, was going to do a Stone and Wood Pacific Ale as that's the last thing I made in 2016 from Extract, so.... it seemed fitting.
    But I couldn't figure out the ordering system and some of the grains mentioned didn't line up, so I just bought a Galaxy Golden Ale instead, which may end up being pretty similar anyway.

Pale malt, Caramunich 2, Carapils, Wheat malt. 4.1kg total grain.

Not adjusting water chemistry or anything yet, haven't even looked into that yet tbh.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    theSeekerr likes this.
  20. mmBax

mmBax Member

Alright guys. So I'm doing the recipe mentioned above.

However. It's a bit different to what I want to do.
    It's mash schedule is.

10 minutes at 55.
    Raise to 66 and hold for 65 mninutes
    Raise to 72 and hold for 20 minutes
    Raise to 76 and hold for 10 minutes.
    Sparge with 78 to achieve 28L.

Can I scrap all that and go straight to a no sparge and total volume?