1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Homebrew.

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Vindaloo, Feb 27, 2002.

1. mmBax

mmBax Member

Cheers, I was going to do a puree. I've got lots of mandarins on the tree so I was going to go quite heavy, maybe 1-2L or so for a 20L batch.

2. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Yeah nice. Puree away, but definitely treat it as per link. You might like to dry hop with eclipse to enhance the mandarin notes as well.

3. mmBax

mmBax Member

I've got Galaxy at the moment, but was going to grab some Bru-1 as well to try for aroma.
    Fermenting with safale S-33

It's a bit of a slap together brew, more of a learning experience than an actual recipe.

4. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

Ended up getting the Inkbird heat belt. I'm pretty much ready to go with my next brew once I work out what recipe I want to do.

5. mmBax

mmBax Member

Well it looks like I need to replace my stc1000. After about 10 years it's finally doing some strange things, can't program it. Luckily the temp is where it needs to be, but it does seem to be overshooting temps and I can't get into the settings anymore to change anything. I'm often finding it's down to 15 degrees. I'm using safale 33 and that's at the ultimate low end of the run.

Had really poor efficiency with this latest brew too, probably doesn't help that the grains were milled about 6 months ago.

6. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Inkbird 308 would be my recommendation.

As far as the grain goes, maybe it was the blame but I think not - https://brulosophy.com/2018/10/29/the-impact-of-age-on-crushed-malt-exbeeriment-results/ - maybe it just was milled too coarsely?

Currently drinking a philly sour raspberry cider - yum.

14lts aldi apple juice
    1.5kg raspberries added after primary
    Philly sour yeast

It's like a sherbet almost, mint

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  7. mmBax

mmBax Member

Possibly as well, the grind did seem okay compared to previous grinds (I get it preground for BIAB as I'm not quite brewing enough/mentally ready to do my own) One day.

If grain size was out I guess I need to look at my mash, I'm fairly confident it was around 69 and when I dropped the grains it dropped to 67 or so, and it sat between there and 63 in the hour. There's a chance that it was a lot higher closer to the heat source although I did give it a good stir prior to checking the temp.

Not really concerned, this was purely a for the sake of it brew, and if I end up with something that tastes good enough to drink I'll be happy.

8. mmBax

mmBax Member

Me again.

Was meant to be kegging day yesterday but things came up and I had to go help a mate. So hopefully I can get to it today. Trying to do a closed transfer but from a coopers slip/collar style fermenter is a bit challenging apparently.

I really need to stop reading, what started as a no frills brew to see what happens has turned into a science experiment at the end.
    I attempted a d-rest instead of a cold crash, but we're getting some colder temps than normal and I'm having trouble keeping it above 17- with no requirement ever needed before for a heat pad or even a low wattage light bulb, I'm not having much luck getting a 22 degree two day rest. Instead, I'm just going to bite the bullet and go full cold crash to sink some hops out of suspension and move it into the keg.

Edit:
    It's kegged, I've sampled. Lessons have been learned.

Closed loop transfer. I'm fairly sure I was doing it wrong. It was taking forever, I'm talking ml's per hour here. In the end, despite my best intentions to keep the keg full of co2, I popped the lid, and I dropped the gas outlet into the keg also and let them both slowly trickle out. My intention was to maintain a solid c02 blanket on top of the beer while it filled. Still seems pretty good so far. But from what I gathered with the o2 last time is that it was a sudden onset.

Lesson 2. I think I really need a chiller of some kind. The type of beer I'm wanting, light easy drinking Pales and NEIPA's, lots of hop, lots of aroma, only a slight bitterness. I think I'm getting more bitterness than I'd like because my flameout hop addition is still giving me too much. I could delay flameout hops until I transfer into the fermenter. Or I can get myself a chiller.

Fittings. I need a couple of ball lock disconnects. And I need to hurry up and sort out my tap because the standard gun dispenser I have leaks too much.

Lesson 3.. Maybe drop to 10L batches. Means I can scale down hop/ingredient usage while I'm experimenting.

Lesson 4. Floating dip tube, or another solution to remove hop debris when dry hopping late.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  9. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Didn't think this deserved its own thread.

I give you my ghetto brew stand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Repurposed from a DIY learning tower

10. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

Dude, that ain't ghetto, that's quality!

josh1990 likes this.
  11. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Cheers dude!

I must admit, I did a muuucccchhhh better job of v.2, I look forward to them outgrowing it haha

12. british_optics

british_optics Member

That is an awesome setup.

13. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Last chance to stock the kegs for Xmas.

American Pale Ale today, Kviek Farmhouse Ale tomorrow.

Few little additions - stainless pump head and finished off the hoses so once it's going no touching hot shit to swap between recirc and whirlpool.

[​IMG]