Homemade bacon is better. (Pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by kodos78, Nov 14, 2010.

1. renagade

renagade Member

Coarse Sea Salt
    Not table salt.

2. HeCaTe

HeCaTe Member

What were you doing that you forgot about bacon in the fridge? that is a long time to leave them in there for :p

3. Andrew357

Andrew357 Member

Alrighty.

Meat is currently in the cold room doing it's thing (since Saturday) but I have 2 questions:
    - I made a curing mix very similar to OP and I have a fair bit of fluid in my bags, even on my dry ones. Is this something to be concerned about?
    - I will be away for the weekend so they'll be curing for 10 days instead of the suggested 7. Any problems?

4. STINGA

STINGA Member

I am so confused right now...

5. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Go back to the OP (particularly the bit about "pink salt").

6. scon

scon Member

The fluid in your bags (brine) is no problem, you want the liquid to leach out of the pork belly. That's why bacon is firmer than pork. 10 days curing is no problem - could be a little salty though, if it is, no biggie, just blanch before eating to remove a little of the salt.

Ruhlman on the forgiveness of cured meat.

7. Andrew357

Andrew357 Member

Thanks for that link, interesting read.

I was just surprised at the amount of brine in so little time. I might get my sister to do the final bit @ the 7 day mark so I don't have to worry about the saltiness. We'll see :)

Looking forward to the results!

8. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Thread necro time.
    Woo :lol:

I've currently got 2kg of bacon curing in my fridge, and tomorrow is soaking/drying day, which means wednesday is smoking day!

I did something similar to Gruehunter's post on the first page; one kg piece is curing with a maple/brown sugar/salt cure and the other kg in a dry salt/spices/garlic cure. I got my cure from a local asian supermarket, it's not exactly what i was looking for, as the ratio of potassium nitrite (not sodium nitire, for some reason) was a bit low, and it had sugar and food dye added already, but I'm hoping it'll do the job.
    Both pieces have leached a shitload of liquid, the zip-lock bags are pretty full of red/pink (from the dye, I assume) or brown (maple syrup, mmmm) fluid.

Unfortunately my weird sister doesn't like smoked bacon, so I'm cutting a portion of the savoury piece off to finish in the oven for her. I may have to stage a tasting of both kinds of bacon to convince her of the wonder of smoked meats :leet:

Will post back after it's all finished with results. :D

Edit: also reading over the first page again, my (clearly culinarily challenged) housemate seemt to balk at the idea of french toast (or pancakes) with maple syrup, ice cream and bacon (mine and my Fiancée's favourite brinner) . He will also need convincing :lol:

Edit2: I used pork belly, because that's all the butcher had and also streaky bacon is better bacon.

Edit:

Picture of the bacons soaking, the top one is the sweet maple bacon:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  9. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

OK, bacon gurus, what's the minimum time the bacon needs to dry for before I begin the smoking? I want bacon today but it just started drying 10 minutes ago. :confused:

Edit: Apologies for the double post.

Edit2: nevermind about the question in the previous post, it is begun:

[​IMG]

Edit3: so it seems that barbeque had a shitty thermometer and my bacon was essentially cold smoked.
    Now I have to finish it in the oven :upset:

Edit4:

Fried some of the maple bacon this morning with some eggs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Absolute heaven, although I slightly overcooked this batch :o

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  10. kieran

kieran Member

OK. I set up 3 kg of streaky bacon last night. I did it from memory, 10:1 salt to instacure#1/prague powder/6.25% Nitrite... and that was 5:1 against brown sugar.
    I made up 1.1kg of the salt/sugar cure mix.. and I reckon I packed 600g of that shit into and on top of my bacon.

It hasn't been in 24hr yet -- should I unpack some of it, with a bit of a wash, and re-pack? I still have plenty of my cure mix in a bag left over. I'm worried I'll extract every morsel of water from it and end up with some sort of prosciutto bacon. I was going to leave it until Friday before washing and leaving overnight to build up a pellicle for a super cold smoking session.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  11. Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

i'm currently making my own bacon at home.

2 Questions:
    I started on Sunday night, would it be ready for smoking by sunday morn?
    Should i pour out the excess liquid each time i turn it?

12. scon

scon Member

1. Yep, absolutely - 7 days is plenty.
    2. Nope, you want to keep the brine in there to keep curing your meat.

13. OP
    OP
    kodos78

kodos78 Member

Wow, just saw that this thread has been resurrected a few times since i was active in it.
    Great to see it's all still going.

I've been making much more jerky than bacon lately but now I'm keen as to buy a huge slab of pork and salt it up!

14. Andrew357

Andrew357 Member

Just watched a string of bacon videos on YT and I am hankering for some bacon.

I still have the curing salt and the liquid smoke I bought all those years ago, so I am going to grab some pork tomorrow. :D

15. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

Just finished mine off over the weekend was a full belly from cosco

fried some little trimming bits

[​IMG]

and packaged up

[​IMG]

16. eilsel

eilsel Member

Just a thought here for people who don't have a smoker or liquid smoke (haven't tried this myself though)
    How about adding a couple of tablespoons of a heavily smoked Whisky such as Laphroaig when you add the Maple syrup? does anyone think this would be a good addition?

17. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

funny you say that, the stuff i smoked on the weekend i did in 3 types one was just plain, tasted good but just like premium bacon from the shops, one was with maple syrup, the other was some old ass whiskey and maple syrup. And by far the best tasting was the whisky and maple had some i dunno extra smoky hum to it, was just a 1/8 to 1/4 cup of each(dunno as it was straight from the bottles) thrown in the bag after rubbing the cure in.

18. eilsel

eilsel Member

19. scon

scon Member

Ebay is pretty good for curing salts.

20. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh