Homemade bacon is better. (Pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by kodos78, Nov 14, 2010.

1. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

So does. Started doing my own, worked about 2kilos of the stuff over the past week Maple with Hickory Liquid Smoke (testing it out with the oven rather than firing up the smoker and watching that) and all the curing salt. So far so good.
    Need to portion it out and freeze what I'm not using immediately. Tasty Tasty stuff and quite economical all things considered.

I tried the maple flavoured curing salt from them but it really doesn't add any flavour to it so would recommend just buying maple syrup and using that (especially great with a chamber vacuum sealer).

2. clonex

clonex Member

wtf is 18% australian bacon, does that mean if i order 100 slices 18 will be from oz on average?

i got told years ago that anything off the bone or with bone cant be imported.

woolies sell some tassie(iirc) bacon of some hickory smoked but its like $7 for 6-8 small pieces

3. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

we just finished our last batch of bacon on the weekend, 3 flavors again, maple, maple whiskey, and honey garlic rosemary. Honey garlic is the best one we have done so far

4. mmBax

mmBax Member

What are the ingredients for the honey garlic rosemary?

I'm about to do another batch ready for xmas. Haven't had any issues with my maple/pepper combo but I wouldn't mind trying something different.

5. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

just honey in stead of maple syrup, we used a good heaped dessert spoon of crushed garlic and a good bunch of rosemary, we normally only do batch's of 1.5-1.75kg at a time,

we'll be doing our xmas bacon which is just maple syrup and fireball whiskey.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  6. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

Starts a diet then sees this thread, Diet can wait...

Lupuscrux and clonex like this.
  7. mmBax

mmBax Member

Neato, I'll more than likely be curing mine this afternoon.

Do you leave the skin on or off lupus? Most of what I've read says remove, and I normally remove it. But there's still a part of me that likes chewing on some crunchy bacon skin.

8. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

I take it off, I too like the crunchy/chewy rind you can get but i also like the idea that the brine/cure is 100% able to penetrate the whole way through.

mmBax likes this.
  9. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Made my own bacon this week, turned out quite good considering it was my first try curing anything.

- 1.6kg skin-on pork loin, very fatty. I wanted fatty and the butcher told me ahead of time so no issues
    - used the same salt/curing salt/sugar mix as OP but added in a few smashed cloves of garlic and peppercorns in the bag. Garlic smell was very strong in the bag but flavour didn't come through as much as the smell suggested

I took the skin off before curing and separately made some crackling with chili salt :) So I guess net weight was about 1.4kg. Liquid came out of the pork after the first day then appeared to re-absorb so there was nothing in the bag after day 3. This and the fattiness of the pork I think is why it was a little on the salty side, even with a good wash before chucking it in the oven. I set it to 90deg for 2 hours then down to 80deg for 2 hours because some fat started to drip off. Not much, maybe 20ml total, which isn't noticeable for such a fatty cut.

Total yield was 34 bacon slices plus a small bag of chunks, which for us is 8x 150g bags of sliced bacon and a 150g bag of bits.

For next time:
    - find some liquid smoke or try other additional flavourings
    - maybe a less fatty cut, or look into a slightly less salty curing mix and see if it's a little less salty next time. It's not too salty to eat but a little on the high side compared to store bought bacon

This is the leaner end of the bacon, it tapers off to a smaller loin at the other side.

Click to view full size!

10. mmBax

mmBax Member

I find any generic salt/sugar brine mixture too salty unless you do an equilibrium cure.

https://eatcuredmeat.com/how-to-equilibrium-cure-or-brine-bacon-enlightening/ is what I use these days, and set it to 3%. A couple I've done don't firm up as much as the OP's method. But after a 7-10 days if they're not entirely firm I'll let them dry out in the fridge for a few extra days before smoking.

I had a cabonara last night with some thick lardons that I'd cut to give to a friend many moons ago and forgotten all about. Was pretty tasty and also pretty hard to not pick out all the bacon while waiting on the pasta to cook

blankpaper and Ma Baker like this.
  11. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. I quite like this curing thing, it's all pretty interesting. I don't mind experimenting with different methods, even if some are way too salty or just not tasty - so long as I don't poison myself it's all a pretty interesting topic.

12. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

I made bacon again last week, with a bit smaller cut than last time. Skin-on loin, only about 1kg. Mixed the salt/sugar/curing salt mix proportional to its size and added 6-7g ground black pepper in... I was curious if the pepper taste would come through, but nope. Didn't taste as salty as the last one though so maybe it helped balance it out or I'm got the numbers wrong the first time around. Not really sure, but no problem.

Got a whole duck coming, I might make duck prosciutto with the breast. No curing salt needed and not really suited to this thread but this would cost an arm and a leg if bought from a deli so cutting the breasts off for prosciutto and using the legs and bones for other dishes works well for me :thumbup: