Homemade Biltong!

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Lem, Aug 10, 2005.

1. GrueHunter

GrueHunter Member

I use rump or topside, depends what's on special.

2. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

same thing happened to me on one of my first batches, but there WAS "activity" on one strip. The fly laid maggots but they all died in that very spot due to the vinegar/salt(I presume). I think i chucked that piece and ate the rest, i may have just cut that bit out and ate the other half:eek: can't remember

3. DoCsIs

DoCsIs Member

Thread revival

After making this:
    [​IMG]

I've now made four batches of beef deliciousness.
    First batch was wayyy too salty.
    I've found if you are using Corned Silverside from coles/woolies that only 20g of rock salt per KG for one hour of curing is needed.
    Recipe is:
    Cut silverside into strips.

Wash in brown vinegar, squeeze excess off.

Place in an enamel tray for one hour with the curing mix which consists of
    20g rock salt / kg
    1/3 teaspoon sugar / kg
    1/3 teaspoon bicarb soda / kg

Wash in 2/3 hot water, 1/3 brown vinegar.

Dry off with a tea towel getting as much moisture as possible.

Coat in roasted coriander/paprika/pepper/chilly depending on taste. Earlier amounts in this thread sound good as I haven't perfected this yet.

4. OP
    OP
    Lem

Lem Member

Oh wow! I havent made any in a few years now! Biltong box got tossed, time for a bunnings visit! :D

5. Windex

Windex Member

Very interesting, I used Corned Silverside for my first and only batch and it was so damn salty that I gave up. I think I will give it another go! Damn this festering weather Melb is having at the moment.

6. Borgod

Borgod Member

Is salt added to Silverside?

Why not Topside?

7. scon

scon Member

Corned food = cured ie: preserved in salt.

So you shouldn't need to use as much salt as the untreated cuts.

8. Windex

Windex Member

Yeah I didn't think of that when I made my batch so I followed the normal steps and it was uneatable. I ended up burning it around the camp fire as even with beer it was uneatable.

9. salmon

salmon Member

i only just found this tread :) very cool lol i actually work for a company called jacks black label

http://www.jacksblacklabel.com.au/index.php?page=jerky

And We make over 150kg of beef jerky per day we also made biltong for a bit and we may be getting back into it... we have 6 flavours, ive noticed there is such a huge market for these products now days, every thing seems to sell really well ill upload some pictures soon of our setup and end products, but if you ever need recipe tips or anything hit me up im only happy to help, ive done small goods courses and coupled with being a chef we hope to develop 5 new unique flavours this year for production. :)

10. kogi

kogi Member

So. Where's my free sample? :Pirate:

11. sympozium

sympozium Member

Guys is there a limit to the thickness of your cuts? Or does it just prolong the drying time?

How about a chilli jerky that is actually hot??? I cannot for the life of me find properly hot chili jerky, even bhut jolokia jerky I have found is only mildly hot :(

12. salmon

salmon Member

Dont be afraid to put an order in http://www.facebook.com/thejerkyshop we have upped the heat of our chilli as people such as your self were looking for some more fire.. we are getting great feed back on it now.. also our pirri pirri caters to the more mild heat preferring punters

13. ScrumpyJim

ScrumpyJim Member

is this jerky fully dried like the Territory Jerky brand or is it like a soft sort of jerky. I have been trying to find one that is fully dried but 90% of the jerky sold now is soft/chewy and not what I am after.

14. salmon

salmon Member

well yes its fully air dried to the point where the meat is no longer raw and the moisture content is suitable for packaging ... jerky tends to dry out and the salts + vinegar etc will continue to leach out moisture during its shelf life so it will get dryer closer to the products expiry date .. in saying that i would not say our jerky is 100% dry to how you would like. you would have to try it :)

15. DoCsIs

DoCsIs Member

It will just prolong the drying time, but it may also allow more flavour to be absorbed.

I find a 4~5cm wide, ~2cm thick piece air dried over a week ends up with a dry outside and a soft inside, but I guess it depends on your local conditions and drying process.

My latest batch is outside drying; I've used corned silverside again ($6/kg from coles), but I've tried curing it without any salt in the curing mix (only bicarb soda and sugar). Will see if it just rots, or if the corned nature of the meat means it salty enough already.

16. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

I'm no biltong expert, but i have made about 6 x 2KG(wet) batches of the stuff, and have never bothered with the bicarb(except the 1st batch). Made no difference, so i just never bothered putting it in again:thumbup: Not saying your doing it wrong as most the receipes call for it, just saying it may not be necessary, probably depends on the climate you live in

17. mtoti

mtoti Member

Can't say I've used bicarb either, the combination of vinegar and salt seems to be enough to stop any mould.

18. DoCsIs

DoCsIs Member

What type of meat are you guys using and how much does it cost?
    Any spice mix recommendations?

19. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

that silverside in "vacuum packs" seems to be good for it.

20. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

I am dying to try this stuff can someone recommend me a place in Sydney I can buy it from? I can do a google search but you guys have more experience as to who sells the best. :thumbup: