Homemade Calabrese Style Salami & Sausages

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by trop, Jan 5, 2013.

1. trop

trop Member

Every year in June my family and some mates get together and we make salami. I have been meaning to take pics and post it on here for years, last year I actually remembered to take pics and its only taken me 7 months to post them...

We start off with a couple of pigs my dad gets from one of his mates, they normally kill and halve them on a thursday, then they hang in the coolroom till friday arvo

Click to view full size!

Friday arvo we cut up all the meat into small strips to fit the mincer.

Click to view full size!

Keeping some good stuff aside for dinner/lunch/other

Click to view full size!

There is no real recipe we follow, its all done to taste. Only rules to follow is salt to 2.75% of the weight of the meat is added.

Click to view full size!

We add black pepper, paprika, chilli and some capsicum paste to the mix

Click to view full size!

Mix everything through by hand and then leave it overnight on the tables to let the juices drain from the meat

Click to view full size!

Saturday morning we put everything through the mincer on coarse chunky setting

Click to view full size!

Cook some of this mix up and taste test, add more of whatever it needs, repeat.

Click to view full size!

Salami meat all minced and ready to fill into skins

Click to view full size!

natural skins filled and being tied, ready to hang

Click to view full size!

Salami's hung and ready to cure for 6-8 weeks

Click to view full size!

No pic's of the finished product on my phone and I'm all out, will grab some at the old mans tomorrow.

We do a big batch of italian style sausages aswell. We mince this finer than salami but still a lot coarser than mince you'd buy in a shop. We generally do 2-3 different variations - mild, hot and some finely minced ones.

Click to view full size!

Finished snags

Click to view full size!

2. kerr34

kerr34 Member

jealous as!!

3. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Any for sale? :Pirate: :weirdo:

4. sim36

sim36 Member

Awesome! I'll bet those salami are tasty. What about the prosciutto?

5. username_taken

username_taken Member

Do you use any nitrites or add any beneficial bacteria ? or do you just rely on nature to take care of ?

6. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

No if he not adding nitrites as that would be against Australia stupid food regulations when it comes to salami/sausages.

7. wrek3000

wrek3000 Member

June?...Dude its only Jan...Chrsit has risen!..They look so good.Would love to try the finished prdouct.Well done

8. kieran

kieran Member

People do die... The regs are there for a reason.
    The Garibaldi outbreak in SA comes to mind, where a kid died and a bunch ofbpeople needed organ transplants as a result of eating contaminated salami/mettwurst.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-22/garibaldi-e-coli-contamination-legal-case/3686838

They look great though.

9. stoopidwog

stoopidwog Member

looks great ... this is sort of thing is pretty common in winter for old italians ... sadly a lot of the techniques/tradition is being lost with the new generation.

I don't believe we add paprika or capsicum paste ... im pretty sure we just use black pepper, chilli, fennel seeds and salt.

pancetta and prosciutto are surprisingly easy to make and are probably better tasting to your average salami eater

10. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Oh man that looks epic...

11. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I know we have had some issues in Australia, but Europe doesn't seem to have as many problems. Strange that smoked fish (eg Salmon) doesn't require any nitrites and they have Listeria problems ever now and then. I just like my aged meat products made in the traditional way.

12. Samson

Samson Member

Great read and pics!

YUM!

Nitrites generally inhibit the growth of Clostridium botulinum spores in refrigerated meats. ie. they prevent cases of Botulism. It is generally agreed upon that sodium nitrite is not considered effective for controlling gram-negative enteric pathogens such as Salmonella and Escherichia coli. The main issue with Nitrites is that they can be toxic if used in excess, which is not a problem here if he doesn't use them.

13. username_taken

username_taken Member

Smoked salmon is almost always stored cold and doesn't have the same shelf life as a salami, and as a 'whole' product is unlikely to have bad bacterias etc under the surface. People have been using nitrates in one form or another since the middle ages ( saltpetre ), so I don't think 'the traditional way' is a real argument here.

Most salami makers that don't use nitrates use a commercially grown bacteria or use other additives (wines, vinegars, buttermilk even) that give similar bad guy fighting traits. A lot of heavy mineral salts have trace amounts of nitrates in them.

I'm not saying that people *have* to use nitrates, but I do think they're an important part of food safety when it comes to preserved meats, especially ground meat where any bacteria from the surface of the meat has been ground up and mixed all around.

14. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Good points. My salmon comment was due the fact I worked in and seen several factories and I will never eat the commercial stuff. I have eaten a fair amount of home made sausages/salami/mettwurst that haven't used nitrites, just pain old rock salt. I love home made ham/prosciutto.

15. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Sry for the small de-rail but the pic on the news page looks like the shed of some psycho penis removing murderer.

Hilarious.

Apart from that your products look great.