Homemade copper cpu waterblock (not 56K friendly)

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by MCpetrolhead, Jun 30, 2010.

1. MCpetrolhead

MCpetrolhead Member

Hey all.

I have been on overclock.net for some time now but i thought i would venture onto my homelands own overclocking site.

Well i have made two attempts at making waterblocks, the first was very dodgy and didnt give much better temps than my coolermaster hyper 212. But my second attempt i managed to drop over 15 degrees load.

[​IMG]
    I paid to have it engraved :D

[​IMG]
    This is my loop, i have made some proper mounts for my fans and added a 3rd fan to the radiator and my coolant is now blue.

This was a budget build and ended up costing me around $120.
    I know my cable managment is bad but i cant afford a new case at the moment. (though if anyone in Perth has an old full tower case they wouldnt mind letting go of send me a PM)
    I have alot of other pictures and a build log, just ask and i can post them.

Any question/comments?

EDIT:
    If this is not the proper way for posting pics please tell me, this is slightly different to other forums.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. Winy000

Winy000 Member

any pics of the internals of the waterblock?

3. OP
    OP
    MCpetrolhead

MCpetrolhead Member

[​IMG]
    This is a sort of mock up/cross section of it part way through the build.

[​IMG]
    This is the water channel plate, the bottom plate has a series of dimples in it to increase surface area.

4. U238-Shell

U238-Shell Member

What tools did you use? I'm interested. :)

Also, wouldn't it have higher performance if instead of drilling pits, to have outcrops of copper?

5. OP
    OP
    MCpetrolhead

MCpetrolhead Member

I had a jigsaw, hacksaw, drill press, files and a LPG gas torch.

It would probably be better BUT i have no way of making them. If i had a mill i probably would.

6. pippin88

pippin88 Member

Nice work, pretty old school.

Too many people watercooling now haven't actually made any of it themselves, they've just dumped a crapload of cash for stuff that doesn't do much other than add bling.

7. OP
    OP
    MCpetrolhead

MCpetrolhead Member

Yeah i love the split down the middle of the top, it makes it look handmade. I could have saved for a bit longer and bought my own stuff (I will probaly end up buying a quieter pump) but i love the idea of making things myself.

I have also made my own PWM fan controller and just need to get some barbs for my custom made dual bay reservoir.

8. U238-Shell

U238-Shell Member

You did pretty well considering you had very very basic tools. Maybe a router would be good? It's cheaper than a CNC or a mill and I basically does the same thing.

Do you have/planning any more waterblocks? Maybe a worklog? :)

9. OP
    OP
    MCpetrolhead

MCpetrolhead Member

A router you cant control as well as a mill.

I may make a mosfet waterblock for my mobo.

And i have a worklog here.

10. converge

converge Member

You cant be fucking serious. You expect everyone to go out and make their own block? It's great to see someone making their own block but I bet any of the top of the line blocks would beat the absolutel crap out of it performance wise. It was different when there wasn't a lot to choose from for water cooling products but now there is a very good range with good performance so you don't need to diy it anymore unless you want to fun.

So where's your block? Take your bullshit elitest views elsewhere.

11. OP
    OP
    MCpetrolhead

MCpetrolhead Member

Dont be so harsh on him. Also i dont really appreciate my block being called crap compared to a retail block. I think it does extremely well, especially for the price it was made for.

12. converge

converge Member

If he actually had valid points for his opinion than I wouldn't be. I didn't say it was crap but you haven't really provided any real performance data or comparisons to other blocks.

How much did it cost you to make?

13. OP
    OP
    MCpetrolhead

MCpetrolhead Member

I dont have enough money to purchase a waterblock for comparison. As i said before i dropped 15 degrees form my cooler master hyper 212 (not the 212+).

It cost me $20 for materials and a bit extra for the engraving.

14. eXile1980

eXile1980 Member

Mate, I think its a top effort for the tools you had at hand.

I have made a few waterblocks in the past in a similar fashion.

I am just starting a new AMD1090T build and I just got a new milling machine and intend to make all the waterblocks myself.

I will do a log of the whole procedure for people to look at. I have always found it to be far more satisfying to know that you have made it yourself and to be able to say to people at LANs that was your design. As for the dimples in the bottom they should add turbulence to the water and increase the cooling efficiency but probly not as much as ridges would.

Good luck with your build

Paul

15. converge

converge Member

Okay cool. But the hyper 212 is not exactly close to high end water blocks in performance. For reference, an EK Supreme LT is $60 new and around $40 or less 2nd hand.

EDIT: the only issue I have with the block are the walls inside the block which direct the flow of the water. Where the walls are would be no actual water is making contact with that part of the cpu.

16. /\/\usE+

/\/\usE+ Member

pippin88 has a block or two under his belt bro and knows his way around a setup better than you ever will, I think your perception of elitism is slightly skewed. Back in the day alot of people here did make their own blocks.

On topic,

Dude, may look like a bucket of shite to some but I for one love your hands on budget mod skills and you kickin'-ass-and-taking-names approach showing some handy performance doesnt have to cost a lot. We dont all drive ferraris do we ;)

17. converge

converge Member

Better than I ever will eh? You don't even know me. My perception of elitism is not skewed at all, the guy came in here stating bullshit opinions to make himself look better than everyone else, as you are doing right now.

I already said plenty of people made their own blocks because the availability and vairety of blocks were scarce. Today however, there are plenty of good performing cheap blocks on the market, so making your own block really isn't necessary unless you want to do it for fun.

The fact of the matter is, even at the cheap cost of this block you could get a better performing block for not much more at all.

18. hmz

hmz Member

You Sir! got my respect. This is absolutely fantastic.

Keep it up mate.

PS this does remind me of "Worlds Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins

19. ener

ener Member

Looks good MC, if you havent already there are a few other homemade blocks in this section that are good for a read (AJ comes to mind).

also do you have any load temps vs idle temps, there always good to see.

@ converge, and i wonder why MC made the block, probably for... fun? and why would people make cases from scratch, plenty of good ones out there, or make a desk, you can buy them. im also sure the people who buy a jap 4banger and chuck a turbo on it could just buy the the highend model instead?

i bet pippin knows what it takes to make a block, and it is fucking hard to make one that performs as good as the top of the range block, but it is fun, it can be cheaper, and you learn new skills.

Ener

20. converge

converge Member

Exactly my point... I think I said it about seven times that the only reason to do it would be for fun. I never said anything against the op or the thread, all I was doing was calling "pippin" out for his elitest statement.

EDIT: the op also stated that he did it because he couldn't afford to buy an actual block, however as I stated earlier he could have bought a block that most probabaly would have performed better and wouldn't have cost him much more. Nothing wrong with making it yourself though if you're not after the absolute best performance.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010