Honeycomb Android

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by anark1, Mar 1, 2011.

1. anark1

anark1 Member

anybody heard anything about this new OS (v3) and when we may see it arrive?

these seems to be a bit a chatter online about it,

2. hak

hak Member

possibly moto's xoom and samsung's 10 incher tab

honeycomb news has been going on for months though :p

3. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

Moto XOOM is the dev device within Google. At the moment I've not seen any Australian pricing. On a verizon contract it's $599, off contract it's $800 and a wi-fi only price of $600 has been mentioned in US media sites.

Check out sites like engadget and Android central. I think the XOOM won device of the show at CES and it was also a hit at MWC in Barcelona recently.

4. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

A Xoom is the next gadget I'm buying, basically to replace both my Kindle and netbook.

However I'm going to wait for the GSM model to be released, as 3G connectivity does have it's advantages.

5. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

I'm also considering it, maybe to replace my netbook. BUT it wont charge via USB, so if the Samsung Tab 10.1 comes out and charges off USB then I'll get that.

6. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

That is a good point. So given the time delay until a GSM unit is ready for purchase from Hong Kong (F&*K off local pricing) I'm open to other devices, hopefully with USB charging (even trickle charging) too.

7. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

I only really want wifi.

I've been reading lots of mobile tech sites of late. The thing that is strange is when they refer to a device as belonging to a network, such as Verizon's XOOM or AT&T's Galaxy S 2. The world mobile phone industry would be better off if the US networks weren't such wankers :thumbdn:

8. hak

hak Member

unfortunately they are the biggest wankers and Apple lick their boots.

9. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

10. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

11. Azer

Azer Member

12. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Its being ported on XDA to the HTC Desire too.
    Even though im loving Gingerbread (2.3.3) OxygeN I still am so excited about Honeycomb.
    Seriously Android has been so freakin wicked since Eclair, If it wasnt around I may have been persuaded to consider WP7 but nah, no freakin way. :D :leet:

13. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

14. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

Nice. I've read a lot about the XOOM and V3 Android, decided I'm gonna wait. Maybe till quad-core Tegra and 3.1.

I think I'll leave Honeycomb to the platforms it was designed for. I think it will be ordinary on small 3.5-4" screens.

15. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

last time I heard, it was not going to be tablet specific, sure its designed UI wise for best use on tablets, but I think those of us with high powered phones will see the same great use and awesomeness as those with tablets for honeycomb :)

16. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

Maybe, but the screen size might not do it justice. Just like apps are being written specifically to work on Tablets larger screens.

17. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Nope, Honeycomb is tablet specific. This is seen by Google saying so numerous time as well as holding on to the source code and not releasing it to the public. Ice cream will be a blend of honeycomb but for phones.

Also did I read someone is getting the Xoom from HK? Where from and how much? I really want a Xoom but the 3G version and it's soo expensive from the UK. It's out in Taiwan for a bit cheaper soon but don't know any sites I can get it from there. :(

18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

All they are saying in the latest news its that the code is not ready for public consumption.

its a "Not yet" not a flat out "No"

I havent hard of ice cream. theres been numerous hints by google this year saying that it (comb) will be both tablet and phone capable.

Give me a recent definite source where google confirms that it will never be on phones, I can't find one.

19. hosh0

hosh0 Member

I am not saying the features of Honeycomb won't come to phones, merely honeycomb itself won't come to phones. My gues sis Android 2.4 will be Icecream and a blend.

As for a source

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20030747-251.html

20. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

thanks I could only find articles from Jan saying that the speculation points to it being for both, and then further could only find the news about the no openess news from yesterday.

I see that its a matter of it not fitting (or even too much for phone specs)
    cheers Hosh0 :)

will be interesting to see the hacked port in action now then. :D