Honeycomb Android

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by anark1, Mar 1, 2011.

1. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Nps. My guess is Android exploded a lot quicker than google thought and they now have to back pedal a bit to offer some sort of quality assurance. As such I think Android will become a little more locked down for a little bit till Google figure out a long term strategy for dealing with people/companies selling products with the wrong version of Android on them and as a result giving the OS a bad name.

2. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

yeah that makes sense. They probably over assumed the demand on a decent mobile operating system.

Can you imagine if there was no iOS, it would have caught them unexpectedly far more then it did.

the QA issues are kind of evident, and im not referring to bugs caused by hacks and ports, there were some very serious bugs thanks to google (remember that sms random people bug lol), or the gingerbread random reboot loop.

im very glad theyre giving it so much support though, droid has been so refreshing for me since I had came from Symbian S60 then S80 then Winmo 5 then 6 then 6.5 :sick:

3. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Yeah but it's a very fine line they are tredding, remember it's meant to be a open source project and as such they should have no real control over the source like that.
    In saying that they need to do something to stop people like Samsung and HTC making tablets witha OS that was meant for a phone.

But yeah interesting times ahead.

4. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

Agreed, the first Samsung Galaxy tab shouldn't have been allowed. It's now given a bad name to all android tablets without people understanding it's the standard phone version.

5. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

as much as I hate to admit it, but if it wernt for apple its faitrly likely we wouldnt be where we are with smartphones at all

6. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

That might have been me harping on about importing one from the UK once they got them for sale on eBay as it'd be cheaper then locally.

That said, I've given up on the Xoom. Since I need a new netbook, I'm going to get an eee pad transformer from Asus. Price wise, the wifi only sans keyboard is $400 in the states, so a very attractive launching point. I'm looking to spend $600 max, and that will get me the keyboard aswell, and heopfully theres some word on a 3G GSM version. ASUS have stated it's out now in the Taiwan, this week (launching the 6th) in the UK, then the USA the week after. Australia is slated for the first week of May.

7. archie

archie Member

have been playing around with honeycomb beta on my nook colour.
    Only has a 800MHz CPU and it was still lag free for the most part.

Interface is quite slick and polished.

8. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Nice, one of my mates just got a Xoom, should get to see it in action tonight!

9. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

While I don't doubt things wouldn't be the same, google did pick up Android in 2005 and the iPhone didn't show till 2007. So even if there was no iPhone we'd have still have android. We may have just had a different cutesy word for programs.

10. H3llb0und

H3llb0und Member

You guys clearly never heard of or used Maemo...

11. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Maemo had promise, It could have been better then Android, shame it won't be.:upset:

12. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

I had the "pleasure" of using it on the n900 briefly.. it is a pecie of crap! the phone itself was shit, and the ui s completly unintuitive (well, it wasnt anything like i expected it to work).

its one redeeming feature is it is a proper linux stack, but well, its dead so meh

13. H3llb0und

H3llb0und Member

The point is that Maemo was the first "Shipped with the 770 in November 2005, this is the original Internet Tablet OS."

And it's not dead, it is now MeeGo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Android right now, but still have hope for MeeGo

14. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I know MeeGo has the potential to be far superior then Android and would benefit us immensely if it were to become developed and mainstream, but it had its chance by a big vendor and was dropped, unless another one comes along and picks it up it wont become mainstream.

at least not as a smartphone platform.

15. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

oh yeah cause that's been a smashing success :rolleyes: They've released how many handsets?

16. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

17. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Heard of and used it's modern variant but not on a phone.