1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong - Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Stooge007, May 30, 2018.

1. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

hi all

i'm going to be in Hong Kong in Jan 2019, arriving one Friday lunchtime and departing the following Wednesday afternoon (~ 5 days total)

will be with the wife and 3 kids (aged between 5-9 at the time)

at the moment, we're thinking Disneyland for 2 days (although from what i read, it's not that big, but the kids will still enjoy 2 days worth) and then maybe Hong Kong Ocean Park for a day

any other must see (family style) attractions in the area?

i think our accommodation is in the city, so we're going to have to travel to the theme parks

any other hints/tips welcome

cheers

2. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

January is not the best time to go to Ocean Park, unfortunately. It's the coldest month (as well as early Feb).

If you're on southside of the island (where Ocean Park is), consider Stanley on a weekend if the weather is nice. They have markets, food and a pier. It's usually high on the visitor's list. If the weather's nice, on the island Repulse Bay or Deepwater Bay are the better beaches. Not swimming weather but good for some sunshine. Repulse Bay has a few restaurants for lunch/dinner.

Hiking is a popular hobby in HK, consider any of the hikes you can find on the island, especially around Victoria Peak or Tai Tam Reservoir. If you're on the Kowloon side, consider Shing Mun country park, because there's monkeys there (but don't feed them). Kids usually like monkeys :lol:

TST (Tsim Sha Tsui) is of course common, but Avenue of the Stars (the boardwalk along TST waterfront) is still under construction for another year I think, so look into it closer to the time, it may still be blocked off (and therefore a complete waste of time). Lots of markets to choose from, pick your poison, but most sell the same shit these days. Can help you decide the better ones if you're interested. TST retail shopping is over-rated IMO, as is shopping in Causeway Bay. Avoid both these areas on a Sunday, as it's the typical day off for HK's thousands of domestic helpers so the place is *packed*. Really fucking packed. Oh, computer related shopping doesn't have the bargains it had a decade ago, but there's more options here, especially w.r.t. dual-sim phones and tablets.

If your kids like history or museums, the HK History Museum in TST is pretty good, especially if the weather is shit (which there's a good chance of, in January).

Never been to Disneyland in HK, so can't comment, but Lantau Island (where it is) is pretty cool, and good hikes and beaches and restaurants. Almost entirely residential, but a good break from the city if you typically want to avoid this after a couple of days. Accessible by ferry from Central. Also big buddha (Ngong Ping 360) is near the airport and worth considering if you want to walk up a shitload of stairs and see a big buddha. And ride a cable car. Not that great unless you're *really* interested in Chinese culture, though. Your kids will likely not like it. It's almost a day in itself from Central.

Outlying islands are cool, such as Lamma Island, Cheung Chau or Ping Chau. Cheung Chau is my pick, can hire bicycles and ride about, have some food, there's small walks in parts of the island as well. Good way to see how HK used to be, in part, as it's a semi-functional fishing island that's been upgraded a bit. It's about a 45min ferry ride from the Central piers. I go at least twice a year, just to ride about with a beer in my hand and have awesome seafood.

To look up restaurants in HK, use openrice.com. It'll be a life-saver, trust me. Also an app for your phone. If you're staying in Central or nearby (sounds like it), loads of good restaurants in Wan Chai, Soho, Sai Ying Pun and increasingly Kennedy Town... all close and accessible by a short taxi or MTR ride.

If you can't tell, I live here. :) Hit me up closer to the time if you want more up to date info. PM is best in case I miss the thread.

3. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

wow, awesome tips

thanks mate!

will def drop you a PM closer to Jan

cheers :)

4. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

We've been to Disneyland - was in August about 3 years ago - super hot and super packed. You won't need 2 days to do the whole park. It's not that large. Queue times varied between 10-120 minutes depending on the rides. I think we did about 3 rides and went to about 3 shows. Stayed for the afternoon parade and then left. My kid was 2 at the time and he enjoyed himself immensely just seeing all the bright colours and happy music. We got a few overpriced souvenir goods from their shop. He still has them pride of place on his bed. Getting there and back is easy - Disneyland Line on the MTR takes you directly to the park's gates.

We're heading to HK again in late September as a stop-over on our way home from Europe (ironically - we'll be hitting Paris Disneyland for a day while there). Staying in HK for 2 days. Got a few things planned, aiming more for the walk around to see and experience the sights and sounds of HK. Will have the mother in law and sister in law in tow with us as they'll be helping with the kids and their last visit to HK was a case of shuttle bus here and there from the cruise ship terminal. Shopping seems to have lost its way a bit because the pricing of things have lost a lot of their bargain ways with the influx of mainland visitors spending their dollars. Our intention is to go to Fa Yuen Street Markets, Tung Choi Street Goldfish Markets and hi a few other places here and there. This should give a good feel for the experience of street markets in HK I think.

That Openrice.com site looks amazing! Thanks very much - I'll have to explore that a lot more when I'm home from work to help decide the 2 dinners we can snag when we're there.

5. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

If you go disneyland... Make sure to go early . U can enter before it officially opens at 10...organise which ride and go on the most popular rides....then relax for the rest of the day instead of standing in queues.

Ocean park is much better than disneyland imho. However no matter where you go you'll be dealing with mainlanders who always live up to their reputations.

Went to hk last year and stayed a week.

6. king3o0o

king3o0o Member

hong kong..

only thing worth doing is eat.. some of the best food in the world.. use openrice likesomeone mentioned..usually choices for the same "style" of food.. some dont

here are some noteworthy stuff You have to try.. not matter how hard.. trust me its worth it and u wont get any better anywhere else in the WORLD. most guides/blogs in english are pretty accurate.

Wantan Noodle and dumplings/wontans.
    Roast Goose
    egg tart
    yum cha - make sure u book
    baked rice - (street) make sure you have a good stomach
    curry fish ball and pork skin (street)
    fish ball noodles.

last but no least,
    street stir fry..if u know a local.. here is where you eat 99% of the time.

7. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

That's one of the reasons why I've chosen that we'll be walking the street markets - we'll hit whatever perks our fancy when we eye them on the street!

8. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

great, thanks for the tips guys :)

9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

best is around september - november.

10. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

so this has crept up, it's almost time!

we fly into Hong Kong from KL on Friday 11/1 and depart on Wednesday 16/1

i assume better to avoid Disneyland on the weekend?

rough plan is Disneyland 2 days, Ocean Park 1 day, other (cable car?) 1 day, and spend the arrival and departure days wandering and eating