Hopefully a quick and easy question

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Madchimp, May 7, 2020.

1. Madchimp

Madchimp Member

Hey guys,

Feeling a tad n00bish, but...

Currently have NBN into wifi router to everything in the house. I also have a spare wifi router.

Can I use the two routers to connect via wifi and have the second router wired into everything in the 'office'?

The problem I am facing is phone line comes in at one end of the house and the office is at the other. Everything is connected via wifi, but it's a weak signal.
    I tried using EoP, but the two sets I have tried both seemed flaky (every now and then had to unplug them to reset them as they stopped working).

2. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Depends on the router firmware to see if it can act as a wifi client. Router models would help.

3. caspian

caspian Member

as per above it's potentially possible under a couple of methods, but you're still going to be reliant on a wifi signal from one router to the other, even if you then have a cabled network in the office. do both routers have detachable antennae that could be upgraded?

if not -

(a) run a cable from the gateway router to the office then do a wifi or wired network there
    (b) have the entry point for the line into the house relocated to somewhere more midpoint
    (c) look at a mesh system

4. OP
    OP
    Madchimp

Madchimp Member

Billion 8900AX-2400 with phone line, etc into it and a TP link TP-WR1043ND in the office

- Not an option
    - Also not an option
    - Tell me more?

5. power

power Member

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

7. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

The TP Link can act as a wireless bridge. I'm not sure how suitable it will be for how you want to use it. Read the manual for more detail:

8. caspian

caspian Member

I would not wish WDS bridging with dissimilar hardware upon my worst enemy. every vendor seems to use their own implementation of the "standard". having spent a lot of time and experienced a lot of frustration trying myself, I wouldn't even make the attempt without same-vendor gear, and if that means buying something then I'd just buy a mesh system and avoid it altogether. I'm increasingly a proponent of integrated solutions that just work than trying to hack things together.

I bought a Ring video doorbell the other week and the internal ringer unit acts as a wifi extender, there are a lot of ways something more reliable than WDS can be implemented.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    mooboyj, Pugs and firey4059 like this.
  9. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I have literally nothing to add except that my experience mirrors the above - WDS is finicky even between a pair of identical routers, and might as well be impossible between dissimilar units unless they can both run the same open firmware (DD-WRT etc). Buy something that's intended for doing "mesh" / "wireless backhaul" / "wireless uplink" and save yourself the pain.

Pugs and caspian like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Madchimp

Madchimp Member

Cheers everyone for your advice :)

11. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Or just give it a go and see if it works and save some money?

Then if it doesn't work spend money?

12. Renza

Renza Member

WDS? My experience 100% reflects all the experiences shared in this thread. Seriously not worth your time