1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Horize W110ER Review

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Jack-LBO, May 1, 2012.

1. Jack-LBO

Jack-LBO Member

Hi Guys,

Well I know a lot of you have been waiting for great anticipation for the latest Horize W110ER model. And it is really no surprise why.

Historically gaming notebooks have been large portable desktops, and have slowly been coming down in size, with the big brother of this the P150EM being the benchmark of portability and ultimate gaming experience. And in comparison on that model to previous generations and other manufacturers it is quite small, around 2/3 the height of a similar G55 and a much smaller frame.

Due to the overwhelming requests from customers, Clevos Taiwan based R&D team have designed the latest W110ER to meet a growing demand for 'truly portable' gaming. Allowing you to have a realistic amount of battery life of around 5 ½ hours (6.8 hours is the maximum possible with no wireless and no internet) AND keeping it at only 1.8kg with battery.

Whilst this might be easy to do for any run of the mill notebook with an i5 processor and basic specs, this is TRULY an engineering feat to be able to squeeze in and i7 QUAD CORE processor, FAST nVidia GT650m 2GB graphics and your choice of full sized 2.5" Hard disk (ie 480GB Intel SSD or a 750GB 7200RPM HDD for example).

Is there room for an extra hard disk? Nope not at all, this is completely full, see this picture of the internals so you can really understand why nothing else can be
    fit in here.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/dsc01357qo.jpg/

Now with the Alienware m11x officially discontinued there isn't any competition in the 11.6" market that you should even consider if you are after portable
    performance. Before writing this I have read some other reviews stating things like 'The W110er will give the m11x a run for it's money'. Well I am not sure how much
    Dell are paying writers to say this, but there is no competition. The m11x was based on old technology and although is a great machine, a GT335M is not even remotely close to the power of a GT650m, the m11x only had first gen Intel i7 processor as well, but more on this later.

First impressions are really good, while taking it out of the box http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/dsc01378g.jpg/ you will notice how remarkably light the machine is, with the battery out you are only looking at 1.4kg of weight (battery comes not installed, but in a separate package). The touch of the machine is really good, it has a rubber coated textured finish and it really exudes good quality.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/dsc01365yt.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/dsc01363ki.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/dsc01362op.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/dsc01359un.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/dsc01360m.jpg/

The hinge on the LCD tilts with a good level of robustness and holding it in your hands you can feel it's a quality built machine. Pressing hard on the keyboard there is little to non-existent flex and it has a nice response to the keys. I quickly opened up notepad and wrote a few sentences (I type 110wpm) and didn't have any keystroke misses or anything obvious saying that I was typing on a small notebooks keyboard, other than the fact there was no number pad, but I can live with that. It has been improved (if you have a P150HM for reference), the keyboard layout is similar to that but the keys have a better response indeed. Backlit keyboard? Unfortunately not, that mayhopefully be in a revision in a few years! (Once can hope).

Touch-pad, well I have been using a P150EM for the past few weeks so let me keep referring to this as a comparison. While the P150EM touch-pad is lets be honest not so great to use regularly as it has a really 'sticky' rubber surface which makes it hard to drag your fingers upon, the W110ER has that textured finish remember, and itis actually really quite good to use. I would say it's got twice as little 'grip' as the P150EM has. Also having that lower resolution display means getting from one side of the screen to the other is really easy.

Speaking of screens let me tell you about it. The one I am using has a glossy finish, there is the option of matte though however. The only resolution available is a 1366x768 display and while some people keep saying I wish it had a larger resolution I think it would be just too much. I did a measurement (physically) of the text size of the time in Windows 7 in the task bar on both displays and in comparison to the P150EMs 1920x1080 display the displayed time was an unmeasurable difference between the two. I would say that a 1080p 15.6" display is roughly equivalent to displaying a 768p on a 11.6" display. Of course the 1080p display will give you more physical workspace but I think it would be uncomfortably small to see. A lot of people bring up the reference to Apples new iPad with the retina display, well yes that is excellent but they have designed that product to scale properly with that resolution from the ground up. Ie even with Windows scaling (which is not great) it would be too much. I recommend using the built in HDMI port to output a 1080p screen, then you are getting the best of both worlds.

More Pictures:

Note on comparison pic (left w110er) (right p150em)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/806/dsc01377n.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/dsc01374p.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/151/dsc01372wa.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/dsc01371h.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/151/dsc01370s.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/232/dsc01369cp.jpg/

Let's have a real life look at this machine, I have taken some photos for you so you can really see for yourself how beautiful this little machine is and with the
    reference machine next to it in some too. So on the topic of look and feel, it is interesting to note that on this model they have gone with a screw-less access panel to the bottom of the machine. It's actually very neat, it is like a mobile phone how you un-clip and slide off the back, in much the same way. The air intake is underneath but there is sufficiently high rubber pads on the underneath which unless you are putting it on a soft surface (read: bed) should be sufficient cooling all the time. Clevo have been going out of their way lately to make some minor adjustments to panels and chassis, incorporating little rubber pads to help give things a more solid feel. This is what most large manufacturers do to absorb the feel of plastic on plastic. This is no exception, so when you hold it in your hands or press in unusual places it feels like a really solid piece of technology, because it is.

Noise, thus far is pretty well non-existent for normal Windows browsing and installing drivers and applications. Which I am most surprised at, we will see how it ramps up when gaming, and I would imagine it will, with all that nVidia power behind it.

Benchmarks, more on noise and a final consensus coming up in a few hours.

2. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

hi jack, looks like a very impressive machine m8, and although im not a gamer, that is def one i would love to have, albeit far to powerful for my needs in a small portable notebook, would def give my asus 1205N a run for its money :)

i was going to ask if there will be any 17" or 18" clevo IVY powered laptops coming out any time soon, and if so, what cpu and graphics will they most likely ship with.

keep up the good work, always impressed with the work you put into your posts in this forum.

cheers

3. Mudg3

Mudg3 Member

Nice stuff Jack, I think I'll talk Rozanna into getting one when I come up to the coast next time.

:D

4. Betzie

Betzie Member

Ahhh, bugger it all....

Ordered one

Bring on Diablo 3!!!

Oh and Jack, can you show how far the screen tilts back?

Cheers

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  5. Gumby_perth

Gumby_perth New Member

Absolutely cant wait to see some native res gaming benchmarks. Would love to see how something like Battlefield 3 on Ultra with/without AA/AF performs!

Waiting with baited breathe Jack!

6. akromatic

akromatic Member

i'd like a display comparison between matt display to glossy as there is a quite a price difference between them

7. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Either way I would always go matte. I have the P150HM in matte and I am damn glad I got it that way (also the 95% gamut display, whatever that is).

My work Lenovo is also matte and it always surprises me when I use my phone (SGS2) and can see my ugly mug staring back at me - I just don't understand why glossy displays are so prevalent in the laptop/tablet/phone market, you want to see what's displayed not what's reflected.

Anyway, I think the extra $99 is well worth it.

8. Betzie

Betzie Member

Thank god for that... I specced the matte, my 1830T is almost unusable outside

9. OP
    OP
    Jack-LBO

Jack-LBO Member

W110ER continued.

So now the fun begins.

For the benefit of others here is the spec on this test machine:

i7-3610QM Processor
    8GB 1600Mhz RAM
    500GB Momentus XT Hybrid Drive
    GT650M
    Standard Clevo supplied graphics driver
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    IC Diamond 24 Carat Compound on CPU + GPU
    Attached to a 1920x1080 external display (as some tests require over 1366x768)

We have HWMon loaded which is showing a minimum CPU temperature of a warm 58 degrees and the nVidia GT650m is registering (when being used) at 61 degrees minimum. It is of course lower when not being used, but that is a bit irrelevant. I am not really shocked to see the higher than average temperatures this machine runs at because of a) it's size being only 11.6" to have that sort of power it's going to get warm, and b) It runs really quiet at idle. Really quiet, I think there will need to be an EC firmware change to increase the fan speed a bit maybe by 15%.

Under load it reached a CPU maximum of 84 degrees and a maximum GPU temperature of 85 degrees. Which is quite respectable and well within the lower range of gaming machines.

Benchmark results:

3D Mark Vantage (P Score): P9720
    3D Mark 11 P2434

These are good scores and are a bit above the rumored results that the GT650m was supposed to be coming with, which is good. Nothing to be disappointed about then in that regard.

So in conclusion, as a lot of people reading this thread may be in the same boat... What would I buy? The W110er or a P150EM. Well (personally) as I have no real need for a 11.6" model (I don't move my machine much). I would probably myself lean towards a P Series like P151EM1 or P150EM. Only because after using the W110ER for a few days now going back to the P150EM is like using a 27in display (adjustment to eyes). I think if you are someone that is traveling a lot the 1.8kg package and the ultra small design is really appealing. It is a very cute machine and is pretty stylish too.

Can you game on it? Absolutely. Will it look out of place in an office? It blends right in. The battery life is excellent and to be able to have a combo unit for gaming and work it is a real winner.

10. OP
    OP
    Jack-LBO

Jack-LBO Member

Thanks.

Yes indeed, there is the P170EM model. I don't know if I am allowed to link here so I will let you search for that one. There is no more 18.4" models unfortunately.

P170EM can take:

nVidia Geforce GTX675M 2GB GDDR5 Dedicated Graphics
    AMD 7970M 2GB Graphics Card GDDR5 [Pre-Order 30th May]
    nVidia Quadro 5010m 4GB GDDR5 Graphics

11. akromatic

akromatic Member

Could you post some benchmark results of gaming at 1080p with mid/high details? Im curently using a m11x r3 as a portable desktop replacemen that is hooked up to 2 external monitors but i find it limiting at times but mostly fine

12. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

BTW Jack when you change the options on the W110ER page the total price doesn't change to reflect the new item, other pages seem to do that fine.

13. OP
    OP
    Jack-LBO

Jack-LBO Member

Hmm we are doing some updates on the site at the moment. Have you tried FN+F5 to flush it? As it is appearing on mine ok, and I just tried it on another PC.

14. OP
    OP
    Jack-LBO

Jack-LBO Member

Here is the youtube video shot yesterday showing the framerate in BF3.

http://youtu.be/wuvMlu2NVI8

Throughout the video it changes between, High, Ultra, Auto etc.

So you can see how it performs.

The drivers shown are a bit old, so you could probably get better frame rate using some newer ones.

15. hubbske

hubbske Member

Can you hook up two external screens with this?

16. Betzie

Betzie Member

shhh, don't ask him anymore questions right now.. I just got a text saying my machine is being built right now :D

17. OP
    OP
    Jack-LBO

Jack-LBO Member

Hahaha, it is not me building it though :)

So will it output to 2x Displays?

Yes it will, however it will disable the internal display.

These guys can only do a maximum of 2 displays at a time, so that is up to your configuration.

I just tried it with a 22" by D-SUB and a 24" by HDMI.

Works well.

18. hubbske

hubbske Member

Cool just trying to avoid screen flickering when using it with two screens

19. BassMstr

BassMstr Member

What has the battery life been like?
    Ability to adjust settings to increase battery life?

20. OP
    OP
    Jack-LBO

Jack-LBO Member

You can get 5 hours without pushing it. Getting to 5 1/2 can be done with no GPU usage at all, and up to the quoted max of 6.5 hours will require no wireless, screen dimmed, no hardcore applications etc.