Hosh's Steak With Greens and Sweet Potato Mash

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by hosh0, Jan 17, 2011.

1. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Hey all,

Got a heap of recipe's stored up in my head and just been far too lazy to post them on here but I thought it was time to share a few (if I can be bothered I'll chuck up a Murgh Makhani one as well)

Ok so what do you need....

Some nice steaks of your choice! (I used 1 T-Bone steak but you will get two servings out of the other stuff.)

For the Mash
    500g squash
    500g sweet potato
    1 bulb of garlic cut up
    1 red chilli (use a bit less if you don't like your food to have a kick!
    3 tbsp olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper

For the Green Beans

500g Green Beans
    2 tbps minced garlic
    2 tbps minced fresh ginger root
    Salt
    Pepper

You can if you chose make a mushroom sauce to go with the steak, I personally don't think it needs it but if that's what you like then feel free.

What to Do

For the Mash!
    Heat oven to 200C.
    Peel and cut the squash and sweet potatoes into chunks.
    Place in roasting tins with the garlic and red chilli.
    Toss with the olive oil and salt and pepper (the powdered stuff is fine here).
    Roast for 45 mins. (With around 30 mins remaining start on the steaks)
    Let it cool for a minute or two!
    Mash everything together (I prefer to use a food processor but you don't have to).

Steak!

Not going to go into much detail here. Except around 30 mins before you need to cook it take the steak out so it can come to room temp, then just use some nice salt (not powdered) pepper and if you like a garlic clove sliced up.

Whilst the mash stuff is cooling start cooking the steak. To cook just stick it in a fry pan/oven how ever you like cooking your steaks (if you need help just PM me and I can help you out with times).

Green Beans

Just before (2 mins) you take your steak out to rest (VERY IMPORTANT TO LET IT REST!) in a large wok, heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in green beans (you should wash them first obviously) cook stirring often for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until beans are tender (another 5 or so mins depending on how firm you like your veggies, if like me you like them firm I just take it out after the salt and pepper go in!)

Plate it all up.

Sorry for the pic it's off my phone!

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011