Hot air rework station?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Vanne, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

Hi guys, (and girls,) I am looking for a hot air rework station, mostly to work on some 3dfx cards, but also some other stuff. Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers. Not looking for a dual setup as I already have a nice soldering iron.

:) Thx

2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

no personal experience but I've read that some of the knockoffs are excellent.

dont forget to grab a syringe or two of flux when you are our guinea pig do get it

3. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

keen to hear peoples suggestions on this too.
    I'm wanting to streamline recaps mainly and maybe expand my capabilities to surface mount chips. (depending on what I'm game to have a crack at)

I've been eyeing this one:
    https://www.jaycar.com.au/300w-hot-air-smd-rework-station/p/TS1645

but also considering selling my current iron to fund this instead:
    https://www.jaycar.com.au/esd-safe-solder-desolder-rework-station/p/TS1648

current iron is: https://www.jaycar.com.au/48w-temperature-controlled-soldering-station/p/TS1564

4. hutts24

hutts24 Member

Cool. After you've practiced your skills on your own cards, you can fix mine!

Yes me too, I have no idea what hot air rework involves. I thought it involved putting gloved hands into an something like an oven. WuZMoT I have that same soldering iron, and it produces pretty godd results. Certainly made me a better solderer than I was using a dumb no-control iron.

shredder likes this.
  5. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I've found it a lot more consistent, it's at temperature when you need it to be. It was imperative when doing my PSIO installs which are akin to a typical modchip install. Lots of wires with very small contact points you dont want to be sitting there dabbing any point more than once.

There's something very satisfying about dragging solder along multiple points with one pass. Makes you feel like a youtube showoff.

shredder likes this.
  6. adz

adz Member

I have the Jaycar TS1645 and it works just fine, however I am still learning how to use it, so my opinion should be treated accordingly ;)

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I use a Quick 861DW reflow station and a modified Achi IR Pro SC v1 BGA reball/SMD station.

8. bolex17

bolex17 Member

9. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

10. bester

bester Member

This is what most of the people I know use with good success.

11. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and against the grain and say , spend the money on a Metcal or Metcal clone ala Thermaltronics station instead and never look back. Then compliment it with a powered vacuum desoldering gun of some sort (cheap ones are OK ) for your PTH capacitor replacements.

For the record I used to solder SMD stuff for a living for bit there many yrs ago. and when I say solder I mean hand soldering batches of 10 PCB's at a time, with probably 50 components one each. This is all we ever used. it's all ANY of the many people that worked there doing that job over yrs were used to using (all coming from other contract manufactures)

We did have a rework station like that - it basically gathered dust.. we'd use to to heatshink some stuff . or IF doing y really fine QFP stuff it can be easier to paste+ hot air, but that's about all.

12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Soldering is one thing. Desoldering is another. Desoldering QFP (or QFN!) without hot air is truly a pain in the neck...there's Chip Quik, but then if you're doing rework you'll want to get all of that off before resoldering the new part.

13. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Yah agreed. Depends what you're doing really, QFP's we would cut the j leads off (carefully) , or use a qfp tip to heat uniformally, then pluck off

14. v81

v81 Member

I have the Quick 957DW, pretty good, but if I were doing it more frequently and had the bench room to leave one permanently setup the 861DW is the go.

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. shredder

shredder Member

Slightly off topic: cheers guys - inspired by your words, I went and grabbed one of those from Jaycar this morning, to replace the aging relic budget iron which saw me through the fanbusses, case LCD screens and similar back in the 00's. Need to whip up that GBS Control when I have time, so that'll be a nice easy test run for it.