1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HOTAS recs for noob.

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by dalai_yoda, Aug 6, 2020.

1. dalai_yoda

dalai_yoda Member

I bought Elite Dangerous hoping to relive my C64 youth, but found it doesn't support gamepads, and apparently a HOTAS is a better experience anyway. Also bought Ace Combat 7 to play after I've finished my current game, and after trying out the first level, think a HOTAS would be nice for that as well. I've never bought one.

I don't want to just get a cheapy and hate it, but I don't want to spend multi-hundreds for something that I might not use much beyond the mentioned games. But if it's a good experience with good hardware, chances are I'll end up dipping more into games that make it worthwhile.

So: What are your recommendations for decent mid(ish?)-range HOTASes, or whatever the plural is? (My current arrangement precludes any pedal involvement, so they can be ignored, ta.)

2. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

An X-52 will be fine. Just buy one of them, or the X-55.

3. GregDude

GregDude Member

The Thrustmaster T16000M Joystick with TWCS Throttle (bundled or separate)
    http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m-fcs-hotas
    Is a good place to start. Elite has input bindings pre configured for these and they work well.
    They are also relatively cheap.

If you play them to death, then consider some more expensive kit.

You are correct, Elite + HOTAS is a lot more fun. Then consider adding a head tracker if not VR.

Nethiuz and dalai_yoda like this.
  4. r8response

r8response Member

Good luck finding one of them locally. Had to step up to the X56 Hotas as the T16000M was out of stock everywhere I looked :(

5. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  6. OP
    OP
    dalai_yoda

dalai_yoda Member

Welp, I won an ebay auction for a T16000M, "opened, never used" for $76. No throttle, which I kinda wanted, but close enough and cheap enough for a toe-dipping for me. Thanks for the help, all.

Nethiuz likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    dalai_yoda

dalai_yoda Member

For anyone else who comes upon this while searching: I was very happy with my purchase of the T16000M stick. I'll be buying a standalone throttle to match it. My main worry was getting something that felt cheap and shitty, and wouldn't hold up. The Thrustmaster stick is solid AF. My only downer is that I got the version without tactile knubs/"braille" on the floor buttons. There's 12 (6+6) buttons that are hard to differentiate without familiarity. It looks like newer versions have that luxury. But overall, yep, buy it, good stick.

Gibbon and FuzwaldQO like this.
  8. Will S

Will S Member

anyone know where you can get them in Oz? everything decent is sold out...just purchased MFS

9. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Everything seems to be price jacked due to MSFS being released too.

THRUSTMASTER T.16000M FCS HOTAS stick and throttle $222 delivered from Amazon AU, supplied from Amazon UK - https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B01H6KXGDY/

10. Will S

Will S Member

yes....Gamesman seems to be ripping you a new one fast with the Warthog stick and slider

11. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Nice win for $76, the throttle that goes with it is even better, i liked the throttle more than the stick! Heaps on it! Won't be dissapointed.
    I did sell them off for a X56 but they are a few more $$. I still miss that throttle though.

Was worried you might get the real real cheap HOTAS from TM that can join together or split, that is so crap never never go there.

12. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Nethiuz likes this.
  13. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

*cries in Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS*
    It's not that bad. Stick and throttle for $35 used. Does what it needs to, no ragrets.

14. Will S

Will S Member

The Thrustmaster T.Flight Full Kit includes the T.Flight HOTAS X and T.Flight Rudder pedals (TFRP), plus features S.M.A.R.T. technology developed exclusively by Thrustmaster with a sliding rail system for perfectly smooth movement and very high precision. Compatible wit…

The Thrustmaster TFRP Flight Rudder Pedals are compatible on PC with all joysticks on the market. This is the first rudder to feature the S.M.A.R.T slide rails system for smooth steering. Its ergonomic design allows you to put your entire foot on the pedal, thanks to th…

Are these the same pedals ?the pic makes it look like they are and one is $239 and the other $229 ...both from the same vendor ( PC Case Gear )

But the main thing for me is the kit is available sooner ?

But i see the mfg pedals are now available? https://mfg-sim.com/en/3-rudder-pedals