How can a disconnected landline telephone ring?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by broccoli, Nov 7, 2017.

1. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

But who was phone?

2. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

It's been disconnected for over a year......
    no, it's on the wall in the kitchen. Taking it off the wall and trying to find space in a cupboard would be more inconvenient than just leaving it where it is. Doesn't the battery die for good if you don't keep it charged?

Anyway, could we avoid the gratuitous criticism? It's bloody stupid and I won't respond to any more "it's all your fault, you should have done something else" bullshit. Just keep it to yourself.

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill (and now wasting some telstra techs time chasing phantoms, and us here), disconnect it, leave it on the wall if you must.

I haven't had a land line for over a decade, never missed it not even once. sadly still had to pay the exhorbident bill to have poor performing ADSL1 (no 'naked' or even ADSL2 options available to me), no idea how many times that line has been rung in that time. Don't care, people I care about talking to have my mobile number, everyone else I don't want to talk to.

I've recently moved, and not even getting a line connected at all (it's longer than 4.5km so not worth bother for DSL at all), fixed wireless being installed tomorrow. Bye hellstra.

4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

op, if you want to send me your address, i'll check your service out and see whats going on..

5. trevor68

trevor68 Member

There is a connected number, happens all the time just a wrong jumper in the exchange most likely. If it bothers you then unplug it from the wall socket and then just leave the phone mounted on the wall.

6. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Yeh, sure, it's my responsibility that you chose to type out your lovely story about how you disconnected your phone :D

7. HSV_Enigma

HSV_Enigma Member

There, you answered your own question, why would they spend the money sending a tech down the exchange to disconnect you when the service is not in use? Its not like a DSLAM where the ports are limited in number

8. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Because I could still use it, but they wouldn't get any money? They don't just go, "oh I'll trust you not to use it but we'll leave it all connected up".

Anyway, they DID disconnect it in the exchange. It's been disconnected for ages.

9. HSV_Enigma

HSV_Enigma Member

But can you actually dial out from it? I'm guessing no. And since there is a dial tone they did NOT disconnect it from the exchange obviously.

cvidler likes this.
  10. cvidler

cvidler Member

The 'connection' is more than just the physical wire.

There's the wire of course, that needs to be connected from your phone all the way through to the exchange equipment - that is rarely ever actually physically disconnected, there's no need to. you get dial tone from this, and as covered limited access calling to Telstra services to allow you or a tech to establish the rest of below.
    There's the 'AAA' connection, authentication, authorisation and accounting. This is what gives you your number, and calling access, this is what gets 'disconnected' when you cancel your service.
    Then there's the billing system, takes the accounting data from above to produce your bills. this gets closed only after you've finalised payment.

11. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

and yet somebody's ringing....

12. shredder

shredder Member

What's with not having phone service, but still having your telephone set up somewhere and plugged into the wall, and with the ringer switched on? You could just unplug that thing, then spend the time saved by going cannibal on big feed of broccoli.

Nobby6 likes this.
  13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Broccoli.. have you ever answered the ring? Is there anyone on the other end?

14. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

No, the first time it took me a while to figure out what was happening, and the second time it didn't seem to ring for as long. I know when I've had the phone put on in the past the tech at the exchange rings you up and tells you it's good to go. When it rang out of the blue, I thought maybe they'd connected up somebody else's new service to my place, but when it rang again, not so much....

15. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

This is really mysterious and cool....

You need to answer that ring, I need to know who it is!

16. gords

gords Oh deer!

What phone is it? Where did you get it from?

17. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Why? Are some phones known to be haunted? :D (it's a Uniden, got it from a regular shop, probably harvey norman or somewhere.)

18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Maybe, if the sales person had horns and scales :lol:

19. gords

gords Oh deer!

Nup, but if it's a phone that you got second-hand and it has VoIP capabilities, the previous owner may not have cleared their old settings.

20. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

It's a normal old-fashioned type phone, no VoIP (besides which, there's no internet connection for that to be doing things with)