How can a pc be UNIQUELY identified online?

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Mihalis, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

I agree :)

IP blocking won't even slow down someone who is going to the effort of registering multiple fake accounts. All it does is piss off any legit users that happen to be assigned an IP address that has made it onto the ban list.

(oh, and if your irritating user cottons onto the fact you are auto-banning IPs they use, what exactly do you think is going to happen next?)

TOR can be configured to have a user appear to be from a particular location (country, continent, whatever). Its been a while since I played with it, but it is pretty basic to set it up to do this.

You know what, if you want a fool-proof way of blocking all trolls permanently and automatically, just unplug your server ;)

2. OP
    OP
    Mihalis

Mihalis Member

It was not suggested to autoban individual IP's but entire blocks, maybe with a little help from whois records to know how large to make the blocks. And currently it is not suggested to block TOR IP's but apply IP change heuristics to detect TOR, perhaps simply by sending the email with the activation link a day later so TOR can be detected. Could also do inverse-dns checks of everyone registering the days after the troll is banned, and manually inspect the results utilising whois records so proxy and VPN anonymity services are out too.

What is going to happen next then, that is not covered above?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  3. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

Irritating users will use your own draconian security policies to DoS your site even faster than before :)

4. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

If they are going to this much trouble you're screwed. What ever step you take.... they take two.

What forum do you run?

5. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Feels like the application of technology to a non-technological problem. You've got shit users. Change something so they don't feel like coming to your forum.

6. OP
    OP
    Mihalis

Mihalis Member

May well be. Except that when sensitive topics are discussed such as politics and religion it is a fact of life that banned users will try to come back. Haven't had any major problems with that so far myself but I have seen other forums getting dos attacked for a few days.

Are dos and load attacks the hosting provider's job to deal with? What do they do about them? Any hosting provider that is hard to slow down noticably?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  7. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Don't have a politics and religion forum open to minors. DoS and load attacks aren't necc. the providers problem, the certainly aren't with our hosting.

8. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Agg's process of not using free email addresses is supposed to have made a huge difference, try doing this to help stop the derp.

9. ascl

ascl Member

I would imagine so, but it isn't without some costs. When I was living overseas it was quite difficult to create an account here. But over all it is probably a good idea.