How close is your NBN?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

depends where you are in the area, but the earliest availability date I can see for Springwood is July 2018, with most locations being October.

2. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Ready For Service was May 17. Rang NBN which I knew was wasting my time and have been told 8th Aug is date switched on even though NBN website gives me the "completed by 2020" crap.

What's the bet Aug comes and goes with no NBN connections.

3. caspian

caspian Member

you asked and were given the answer, what did you bother asking for if you'd already made up your mind to disbelieve it?

4. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    I believe you. The web page is a little optimistic, methinks...

Planned availability: Progressively from Apr-Jun 2018*.

*This date is an estimate and could change. This technology is based on nbn’s current deployment plans and is subject to change.

---

Where you stand within the nbn™ rollout
    (ticked) Planned

(ticked) Build commenced

(arrow) Service available

---

Last time I looked, it was pointing to 'Planned'. Seems to have skipped the 'Build" stage completely! :lol: Or perhaps this is meant to indicate that the build is in progress & working towards availability. That's not what it looks like, though.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 2:16 PM
  5. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

I was hoping to get an explanation as to why the original date has come and gone. The company running this crap can give me a supposed date yet can't explain why it's been over a year with nothing.

6. caspian

caspian Member

because things can and do change. you're not going to get an explanation of the inner workings of the development, planning and construction cycle from a CSR answering a phone. the best they will be able to tell you is the date your address brings up. and if you ring again in a month, it might have changed again too - the answer is accurate at the time of giving, but not carved in stone.

banshee, I have no idea how the data makes it to the public website, or how it's displayed. I'm using a different set of data that obviously doesn't align completely, all I can say is that I trust mine. at the moment the public website's address function is down too! :mad:

7. zoki_007

zoki_007 Member

8. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

:weirdo:

9. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

22-Jun-2018 according to that

I have seen the guys wandering around and looking down the "manholes" :)

10. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

I'm hardly after the inner workings just an idea of why this is taking so long for no apparent reason. Such a mess when the NBN can't tell me why for almost a year I haven't been able to connect when all the looks to be done. Pillars are up, nodes are done and the last contractor I spoke to 9 months ago said everything was done.

11. caspian

caspian Member

have you considered that the bits that you can see are not the limiting factor? and that a contractor who builds physical components of the network doesn't have global visibility of every facet of the network build?

yes you are asking for the inner workings. the CSR isn't there to do that. and anyone with the requisite knowledge isn't public facing.

12. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

A whole year with not a single contractor and the NBN website changing from connection date Apr 17 to by 2020. If asking why is asking for the inner workings then we are truly screwed.

What possible limiting factor could be stopping this suburb being live in the past year taking into consideration everything is supposedly built.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 2:36 PM
  13. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

in the past 2 days, I've seen 3 NBN people around my house. NBN Rollout still says "6-9 months" (im meant to get HFC)

14. Pugs

Pugs Member

ok.. good for you...

15. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

I thought they werent doing HFC anymore, it was meant to be replaced with FTTC ?

16. caspian

caspian Member

not at all. there has been an expansion of the FTTC coverage, but HFC is about to relaunch. https://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-...a-statements/HFC-relaunch-FTTC-expansion.html

one that you're not going to get from talking to a call centre operator.

17. Pugs

Pugs Member

They put a hold on HFC they will still be deploying it

18. garetz

garetz Member

I am so glad my area is one of the last areas in sydney to get nbn, i have had rock solid adsl for the last 5 years at max speeds. When the nbn was initially promised, didnt they say you would be able to keep your old internet service ? What happened to that, how is it legal that they are forcing everyone from adsl to the nbn, isnt that the very definition of anti competition.

The halt was removed not long ago.

19. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

As helpful as the call center.

20. caspian

caspian Member

but for different reasons. they don't know. I could probably find out but I've decided your attitude sucks so I'm not going to offer.

no, never.

2 points:

(1) the government defines the rules, including those regarding marketplace competition. whose project is this again?

(2) competition isn't always in everyone's best interests, or necessarily a good thing just in of itself. it can be, but reality is that businesses do what makes them money, and avoid what costs them, and that doesn't provide competition or indeed even a guaranteed service for all. Australia's relatively sparse population outside a few dense population centres meant that "competition" resulted in the industry picking the eyeballs out of the most profitable areas, and completely ignoring the rest of the country, leaving it to a major incumbent operator who charged like a wounded bull. to fix that and provide reasonable access everywhere to everyone means paying to overbuild the national telecommunications network, which is an concept incredible in both scope and cost. to pay for that, the network has to make money, and that meant making it mandatory, everywhere. that operator is a wholesaler only and ubiquitously sells to everyone who wants to be a reseller. so from your point of view as a consumer, you still have precisely the same competition available to you as you did before, all that has changed is that your retailer deals with one nationalised wholesale carrier.

it has not been removed yet. read the link I posted above.