How close is your NBN?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/nbnmtm.html

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I had a conversation with an Optus monkey the other day. I'm with Optus, turns out I still have 10 months left to go on my ADSL contract. HFC NBN is available and ready to install.

I considered just paying the exit fees and going with someone else, but I got the monkey to sign me up to NBN but using my original contract dates.. so I am locked into Optus for another 10 months, then I can decide where to go from there.

The tech guy is booked to install stuff on Monday morning, 10/04, the modem apparently arrives a few days earlier and just stays in its box until he gets here.

$80 bucks is their basic package, 25/5 I think, with unlimited calls, unlimited data, etc.. I don't want a phone.. fine, don't have one but the price won't change :lol: so I guess I'll leave it connected.

Not happy with 25/5, I'm going to start with 50/20, which is an extra $20 monthly. Another 10 bucks would make it 100/40, I'll probably upgrade to that soon enough *when wifey isn't watching ;)..

So $100/month with unlimited everything at 50/20 for the next 10 months, then I go shopping. If I get the speeds, and its reliable, I probably won't bother changing.

Just glad I know when its all actually happening. I'm assuming if the tech comes around to fit the modem, there is nothing left to wait for? The monkey assured me I would be up and running before the techie left.. ?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

I'm trying to work out.. can the RSP, or NBNCo move someone to a different speed tier without the customer's acknowledgement?

I was on the 50/20 tier - which I am still paying for. Although I only sync'd at 35/8 (stable profile + crap cabling between my house and node @ 500m), In the last week, I notice my modem is sync'd at 20/2 - which to me, says that something has changed.

On top of this recent finding, International streaming appears to gone to sh%t during peak, probably congestion?

4. caspian

caspian Member

It is the RSP's service. That can do what they like with it as far as NBN is concerned. Your relationship with your ISP and what they order on your behalf is between you and them..

That said far more like it's a line condition change. This is just DSL, it has the same issues as we've been dealing with for 15 years in that regard.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  5. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

If your sync speed has dropped, call your ISP. They'll probably want you to try an alternate RJ12 cable and modem before escalating to NBN.

6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

They'll probably want to power cycle the modem first.

7. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

:lol: true.

It's 2017 and I'm amazed how many people still call tech support without powercycling

8. petercr

petercr Member

They were still doing it in Star Trek with the power couplings...

9. hvalac

hvalac Member

Well I finally got connected to the NBN after trying for the last 20 days and the speeds are lower than I was hoping for.

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  10. caspian

caspian Member

so, the issue is with your own expectations then?

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Expectations can be fueled by salespeople too. When speaking to the Optus Monkey regarding a realistic speed, he assure me that 'I have 50/20 on HFC too, I'm getting 48/19 "

He refused to be pinned down on a guaranteed minimum speed, would only relate his 'own experience', as if I would just take his word for it.

Personally I'll be happy to get 30/10 from my 50/20 choice. Current DSL2+ is 7/1 :( I know I'd be very lucky to get even close to 50/20, but thats what you gotta pay for if you dont want DSL speeds :mad:

Looking forward to it, only 2 weeks away.. assuming its working when the tech walks away having installed the modem?

12. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Could be a lot worse, I wouldn't complain too much on that. Dealing with a customer at the moment with 27/6Mbps sync on a 600m line and NBN won't investigate further until coexistence is finished (15 months away)

lol good luck

13. yanman

yanman Member

Just putting this here to self-shame in the hope I get off my arse...

Had the outdoor fibre box installed over 12 months ago today... still haven't signed up from my crappy DSL :/ for shame

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

One never speaks to Optus. It takes too long, and they will make promises they can't keep. Much faster to use the online chat facility, and it comes with a transcript, time and date stamped with operator identified.

Option 1. Pay $180 exit fees on 10 months of existing contract, for an unreliable 7/1 connection and 200GB, and switch to another of many carriers, none of whom I know much about.. who will probably be cheaper, and MAY be faster and more reliable.

Option 2. modify the existing contract to get HFC instead , at the same monthly cost, for unlimited GB. Not even any setup or modem fees. In 10 months, exit contract and switch to another of many carriers, none of whom I know much about.. who will probably be cheaper, and MAY be faster and more reliable. Current monthly cost is $80 BTW. Too much but it was convenient at the time.

Modifying the existing contract 'so generously' is not usually done (according to the monkey :D), but of course after consulting his superior he 'swung it' for me ;) Yep, I do have a transcript.

Option 3. Modifying the contract as per option 2, pay an extra $200 ($20 monthly) for the 50/20, and I still only have 10 months to go before getting to choose any carrier. Plus hopefully a nice seamless changeover from old to new. Total for this option $100 monthly.

Option 4. As per option 3, but with 100/40 for another $100 ( another $10 monthly over the 10 month period). Total monthly cost $110 but that kind of crosses a mental line in the sand for me. I do want though...

I asked about naked, but basically a home phone with unlimited etc etc is part of the package and you can have it or not, but it doesn't save you any cash by disconnecting it, so wtf it can stay.

To me, options 3 or 4 are the only ones that make any sense, and I can upgrade to the 100/40 anytime I need, so I'm starting with option 3. If it doesn't keep me happy, then I'll pay the extra $10/month for the 100/40 :lol:

Even if I only get 30% of the potential 50/20 speed (15 down), I'm doubling my current download speed and the same 30% (6 up) improves my up speeds by a factor of 6. I can't see a downside.

I realise there is an option 5, don't get the NBN for another 10 months, but I dismissed that one before I even thought of it...

Shits me, I lived 50km from Brisbane CBD and got 16/2 on ADSL2+ for years.. now, 20km from Melbourne CBD, I get 7/1..

My mobiles are with Telstra, they'll be staying there.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  15. hvalac

hvalac Member

Not really, I was hoping for at least 80/40.

The node is at the end of our street aka loop which going by cable length i'd say is around 400-450m or so.

16. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

dude wut? You have the best kind of NBN available to you, and you're not getting it?! at this point you probably only have 6-8 months before your ADSL is cut off

I wouldn't suggest going with Telstra either and I definitely wouldn't have recommended signing up for a fixed line service to begin with. Could always try to get them to let you out of the contract because of the unreliability (dropouts?)

Eh, you got within 10Mbps.

If you have multiple connected phone sockets, get a cabler or sparky to isolate it down to a single socket, that will likely improve it.

17. petercr

petercr Member

I understand things aren't absolute and there's many factors involved but what speeds are typical for what distances from the node on FTTN?

Haven't measured exact distances yet but we're probably around 300m from our node (which finally appears to have been completed today).

Based on our current ADSL, (and the adsl2exchanges website) we appear to be about 1.7km cable distance from the exchange and get just under 17Mbit if that's any indication of the line quality.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  18. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

That's pretty healthy for ADSL. My modem's showing 147/59Mbps max attainable sync speed at the moment on a 300m line with co-existence still in effect for 15 months yet.

19. caspian

caspian Member

of course he wouldn't be, because he knows damn well he has no way of delivering on it afterwards.

so that's a yes then. line length is only one of many things that govern DSL performance, so making assumptions on basis of it is not going to result in a happy outcome when pretty much every factor results in worse speeds, not better.

it's a particularly poor idea when you don't have any way of knowing the actual line length, including considerations like maintenance loops, the actual path the cable takes, the length of the tie cable to the node etc. or the construction of the cable, number of joints, gauge, material, insulation type, or condition of the line. or the attenuation pad loaded into the DSLAM. or the level of noise in the cable from assorted sources.

at that stage you're setting an expectation for yourself based on a model of assumption too simplistic to give an accurate result, and based on input data of unknown accuracy.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I have said this over the years. stop trying to guess DSL speeds. it's not possible to do so with any accuracy worth having. even if you guess right it was a mistake.

20. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Especially given NBN aren't reporting any of this data to ISPs, like Telstra did...